Thread: FBT build

Nationality
    [South Africa]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default FBT build

Hi guys

I've been trying to post these pics for some time now but just never seem to get around to it. Built a viv for my newly acquired FBTs, some regrets on the build but all in all I am very proud of it and would appreciate some feedback from you all.

The tank measured in at w-44cm x d-28cm x 34cm, its a new brand brought into the country called BOYU. The cage houses a pair of Fire Bellied Toads and one golden snail to clean up after them. Plants are peace in the home, maiden hair fern, oak leaf ivy (I think) and the water plants are java ferns and an unknown one.

Here is the tank where I set up how things are going to be laid out. The small tupperware on the left is filled with carbon and there is a very small water pump (also BOYU brand). The idea is that the water will be kept pure running through the carbon, so basically the tupperware has holes in it that allows it to fill with water and then a hole for the electric cord and another hole for the silicone tubing to run out the top.

Name:  buck-rogers-albums-constructions-picture47799-img-1806.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  121.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1805.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  97.0 KB

Next step was to silicone strips of cork bark onto the back of the glass, where there were open gaps in-between the strips I used expanding foam to fill them.

Name:  buck-rogers-albums-constructions-picture47801-img-1814.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  117.4 KB

Name:  buck-rogers-albums-constructions-picture47800-img-1813.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  100.4 KB

Then I had a mix of coco peat (the stuff sold as tarantula substrate) and very small bark chips, left it to dry in a bowl for 2 days then did the part that I hate. This is where next time I will learn from my mistakes, I used those small tubes of silicone instead of the large ones with the applicator/silicone gun and it really makes it more difficult. I still need to learn how to spread the stuff properly, I was using business cards folded in half to spread the silicone over the expanding foam.

Name:  buck-rogers-albums-constructions-picture47802-img-1820.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  86.7 KB

Waited 24 hours for it to dry 100%, dusted off the excess and reapplied where needed and then the planting started. Behind the log I used HydroBalls and a layer of screen mesh was put over that where ever there was substrate. Also used some small stones to prevent the hydro balls from rolling around - still need to get that part right

Anyway here is the final product

Name:  buck-rogers-albums-constructions-picture47797-img-1853.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  105.2 KB

Name:  buck-rogers-albums-constructions-picture47803-img-1852.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  buck-rogers-albums-constructions-picture47796-img-1854.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  132.5 KB

Name:  buck-rogers-albums-constructions-picture47795-img-1856.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  125.5 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: FBT build

Very nice job. Your fbt's will love it.

looks good Buck. spreading silicon is easy while wearing disposable gloves. and how accessible is your mini filter you built? eventually, the carbon will need to be replaced.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Hoppity100

I have a tank like yours but no silicone. I have a water heater, no filter, change water often. I would not put carbon in my tank but you probably need it for your filter. I take the tank apart and rinse everything as its the best way to clean it. How deep is your water? It looks deeper than mine which is 3 inches. I like your log suspended, mine is, too. How do your frogs get out of the water?

Nationality
    [South Africa]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The water is around 7cm deep with a thick layer of playpen sand in the water side which allows the frogs to be able to stand (on tippy toes) in the water. I change the water weekly, because it does get a bit murky and discoloured. The part that I was really excited was the way I put it all together, the slate stone can be taken apart piece by piece and then the tupperware just removed and carbon replaced. Simple.

When I was planning I wanted to have a system that I could easily break down and clean, but also look good.

I think there is still a long way to go for me to learn how to do awesome tanks, but hope to learn for the next build.

Hoppity100

Well, without getting into alot of expense I managed to design my tank, had rocks outside that I disinfect first. Some of my plants are soft fake ones and other items I had saved from previous fish tanks. When spring comes I might check garage sales for more decorations. I like the frogs to have a change of scenery every so often. I also like re-building for them.

Thread Information