Thread: Quick Question

Robby Cash

Default Quick Question

How old should a female GTF be, before she's able to mate? Iv'e got 2 males that are calling like crazy. Was just wondering if i should move them into the breeder tank? And should i only put one male in with the female or both males with her

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Quick Question

Hi there
    Before you put the female in with the males, how large are the guys? how large is the female? i would say if she's
    larger she's ready but that's just my thinking. i would say when she's a year old she would be ready

Good luck with your frogs!

Robby Cash

Well one of the males is alot bigger than her. ive had him for almost 2 years now. And the other two i got about 8 months ago. But she is deff. bigger than the other male. The larger male seemed like he was trying to mount but she just wasnt having it. there water bowl is not small but i dont think its big enough to hold eggs. But Ill try just her and the small male in the breeding tank and hopefully ill have some tadpoles within the next 3 months lol

demon amphibians

My friend just bred some for the first time. well he did it on accident but none the less he had three females lay eggs with one month. He had them in a 20 gallon tank set up with a shallow water dish. This guys loves building things so he took a 40 gallon tank and took a piece of plexiglass the width of the tank and 6-7 inches high and glued it into the inside of the tank sectioning off about 1/3 of the tank. He made a small water enclosure on the sectioned off part about 6-7 inches deep with plants, a filter and other decorations. The other 2/3s had a dry set up with hiding spots. when he put the frogs in they started breeding. So this leads me to the conclusion that you need a big enough water pool for them to breed in. I wanna say the pool in his tank held in between 3-5 gallons of water. He had a good amount of plants in it too, it really looked like a jungle in there. What he did was very simple and easy. I think if you where to do something similar you may have better luck getting them to breed.

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Bombina Bob and Demon Amphibians have both given you excellent advice, I see

Bobs definitely right, if she's larger and at least 1 year of age, she should be ready to mate.

I second what Demon says, as many, if not most, frogs need large areas of water to breed.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Robby Cash

Ok awesome, im set up my breeder tank then Thanks every one

Thread Information