Thread: Long time setup

Tropicok

Default Long time setup

I have a friend David, who now raises geckos, that has a D. tintorius tank with a waterfall which has been running for 8 years. It is fantastic with moss and all kinds of natural flora growing inside. The setup takes care of itself. His two frogs are very friendly and healthy and don't hide when someone comes to look at his little jungle. Only problem, he thinks he has two females after all this time. Lots of springtails and other critters in the substrate to help with maintenance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mcbobs

Default Re: Long time setup

Were the frogs raised together from froglets? Has he seen any aggression?

The reason I ask is because species from the tinctorius group are extremely quiet callers. A lot of times, the only way to hear them call is if you stick your head in the tank. He could quite possibly have 2 males and just never heard them call.

If it were 2 females, aggression would be much more prevalent and noticeable and measures should be taken to separate them. This doesnt sound like the case though.

One last possibility is that he DOES in fact have a pair, but if they were raised together from froglets, the female may be unreceptive to the males calling. The male would have hit sexual maturity before the female and started calling before the female if they are the same age. When the female gets used to hearing the male call but isnt sexually mature, they can start to ignore the call and not respond even when they DO become mature enough for breeding.

One way to combat this last situation is to separate the frogs and put them in separate rooms for a couple months feeding normally and misting normally. After some time apart, reintroduction will spur the male to call and the female should be much more receptive to his breeding attempts. Courting should be much more visible if they are a pair.

Hopefully he's just got a sexually inactive pair that needs a little boot in the rump to get breeding!

-Matt

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

While I haven't experienced it myself, some people reckon two female tinctorius in the absence of a male show much reduced aggression, particularly if raised together.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Mcbobs

I can see how that might be true, but I still dont think it's a wise decision.

Even though the aggression might be much reduced, there is still unwanted competition for breeding rights with the male and you'll also run the risk of females eating each other's eggs. I just dont feel that it is worth the risks to have a 1.2 of tinctorius in the same vivarium.

Having a 2.1 is a completely different story though....

-Matt

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I was talking about just 2 females, no male.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Mcbobs

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I was talking about just 2 females, no male.
    Oh okay. That would make more sense then. You wouldnt have the competition between females fighting for the lone male then.

Gotcha now.

Tropicok

Wow, a ton of good information. I don't think David really cares to breed frogs but he is a bachelor and just loves to have a wall of vivariums of all kinds to look at. He's had such success with geckos and thinks that's enough. He has beardies in a desert vivarium, a ???lizard, Russian torts, a Greek tortoise and is content to take care of his critters. Lovely man. No snakes so he is my kind of herp friend.

Thread Information