Thread: Red Eyed Tree Frog Egg care?

tommyboy

Default Red Eyed Tree Frog Egg care?

I am looking for some solid advice on the best way to care for Red eyed tree frog eggs. Any good threads to read or tips and tricks? please let me know

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red Eyed Tree Frog Egg care?

Hi there
    I do know of a book by Devin Edmonds Treefrogs that explains the care of red eye eggs seen here. Usually the female will lay anywhere from 25 to 80 eggs and they will either be on a leaf, or the side of a tank. keep the eggs moist and wet but DO NOT TOUCH THEM! the fetuses may be damaged. once you start to see the embryos becoming more developed, put a large container with declorinated water underneathe them, usually red eyes would lay their eggs above a body of water, and when the eggs hatch, the tadpoles will simply plop into the water!

Hope you are encouraged to care for the eggs!

tommyboy

Thanks, I will try and find that book. I just had one of my females lay her eggs on the bottom of the enclosure. I had to scrape them up and put them on a leaf and taped it to a cup with water in it. They ended up turning bad and falling into the water. I just want to know how to set them up properly so they don't go bad on me.

tommyboy

ok so apparently Amazon.com has a promotion if you are prime member. I just got 3 of these books with free 2 day shipping for $0.00! yes free! 3 books for free! I am not asking any questions, I will just take them. but if you want one I would reccommend you go check it out

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Lightbulb Re: Red Eyed Tree Frog Egg care?

Im sorry the eggs had turned out bad, ive never heard of them laying their eggs on the floor of the terrarium. I think next time you have your red eyes breeding i would build a rain chamber, they recreate the seasonal rainfalls for breeding, im sure theres an article out there on how to build one.I will have to go and check that book sale out on amazon!

Terrarium Supplies

As said, the best and by far the easiest method to successfully breed RETFs is to season them prior to spawning. This not only gets the larger females ready, but also ensures that when the time comes to depositing eggs, the females are in prime health. First induce a 3-4 week 'dry' period. Only lighting misting their normal enclosure. Once the 3-4 weeks have passed, begin to slightly increase both the temp and hum to trigger the start of the monsoon season. The males at this point will start to call out to the females. Once at this stage, move all the Frogs over to an artificial breeding chamber and ensure that there are plenty of 'good' egg laying sites. We use Monstera deliciosa (Cheese plants) as a matter of course as these are robust, large leaved tropical plants that make very good egg laying sites. Provide the Frogs with variety and choice however you may still find that you get eggs attached to the side walls, often in the most precarious places due to the Frogs evolutional balance and selection. To our disbelief, these are quite intelligent animals and just like in their natural habitat, eggs can be found in very tight,'secure' places. Thus giving them the best possible chance of survival. Once the Frogs have laid, remove the eggs into your rearing chamber and the rest will fall into place. *(Keep the eggs warm, moist regularly checking for mould spores and spoils. These eggs must be removed as contamination can spread like wildfire.)

Thread Information