Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dubias

Stickemdeep

Default Dubias

How many of yal feed dubias? Those that do can you tell a difference in the growth rate of your juvi frogs compared to crickets

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Herpguy

Default Re: Dubias

Dubia are way better than crickets in every way. They are way more nutritious and have way less chitin than crickets if you look at the nutritional analysis. Anybody who still feeds with crickets is living in the past in my opinion. I would recommend also having a colony of Blatta latteralis, as they are very fast and get your animals very excited.

Nationality
    [United States]

I wish my pac agreed that they were better lol he spits out dubias most of the time. S/he only likes to eat nightcrawlers and rodents though.

My FBT's and ACF LOVE dubias though.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hmmm... I'm considering getting Dubias. I still feed my frogs crickets, but I feel that that may not be enough, despite the fact that I gutload them. My frogs never eat the dusted crickets, it's quite frustrating at time.

But, where would you buy Dubia roaches? If I knew, I'd already be attempting to breed them.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Nationality
    [United States]

You can find them at several sites online. Your best bet though is an expo, i got 100 small nymphs for 10 bucks. And I got well over 100 of them.

And not only are they better for your frogs they are much cooler than crickets, they are really easy to handle, i'll bring one into work with me every now and then and my residents and coworkers really get a kick out of em(I work with developmentally disabled adults)

2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

Herpguy

Matt, you have a picky pac!

I would recommend looking on arachnoboards (the invertebrate community has been switched over for about 3 years) and/or faunaclassifieds, but I don't know how many Canadians are on there.

I agree with you though they are actually very cool just to hold sometimes! I used to do shows at local schools and the kids always loved them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Many Pacs don't like them because of their spikey legs. Thats why they spit them out. As HerpGuy said though they are far better than crickets nutritionally, but the downside is that dubia love to burrow and will do so quickly once they hit the Coco fiber.

I still use small crickets for babies just because they are far less likely to burrow, but still can. Baby dubia will burrow immediately. Tong training or feeding in a separate container is best when offering dubias. I prefer to use Night Crawlers because they are pretty much the most nutritious and easiest feeder for them to digest. There are pros and cons to every feeder though.

Herpguy

Yeah Grif the burrowing is annoying but I use Blatta latteralis for that, they also never "freeze" like crickets and also don't smell like crickets. I have never had a frog picky enough to spit them out due to spiny legs, but then again I have always chosen not to keep cranwelli.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Herpguy View Post
    Yeah Grif the burrowing is annoying but I use Blatta latteralis for that, they also never "freeze" like crickets and also don't smell like crickets. I have never had a frog picky enough to spit them out due to spiny legs, but then again I have always chosen not to keep cranwelli.
    Yeah it is usually the Cranwelli that normally spit them out the most. Mine have never spit them out, but they didn't want another after they accepted one. Probably just due to the fact that they're spoiled. Even my Joaz and Ornata are like this so I assume its the spoiled frog issue.

Dubia will freeze. They will also sometimes play dead and not move for a long period of time. I've never tried latteralis. Are they similar in size?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Herpguy View Post
    Matt, you have a picky pac!

I would recommend looking on arachnoboards (the invertebrate community has been switched over for about 3 years) and/or faunaclassifieds, but I don't know how many Canadians are on there.

I agree with you though they are actually very cool just to hold sometimes! I used to do shows at local schools and the kids always loved them.
    Very picky lol but s/he is still my favorite

2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Gnag the nameless View Post
    Hmmm... I'm considering getting Dubias. I still feed my frogs crickets, but I feel that that may not be enough, despite the fact that I gutload them. My frogs never eat the dusted crickets, it's quite frustrating at time.

But, where would you buy Dubia roaches? If I knew, I'd already be attempting to breed them.
    roaches are illegal in Canada
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Can you guys give me an average size estimate for adult Dubia's?

My frogs are tiny right now, so roaches might not be an option until they are older. I'm not sure if my parents would be too keen on it, but I'll convince them anyhow

Does anyone know of a guide/sheet on how to breed Dubia roaches, or crickets? I've been trying to breed crickets with no success for a while now.

I'm not sure about their legality in my area. I'll go check. Cross my fingers.
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ah. They're illegal over ALL of Canada. That's a shame.

Any other food options other than earthworms and crickets for small frogs such as mine?
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Gnag the nameless View Post
    Ah. They're illegal over ALL of Canada. That's a shame.

Any other food options other than earthworms and crickets for small frogs such as mine?
    unfortunately no, and that is killing me personally. don't get those huge crickets ( jamaican) that I saw in a lot of Vancouver stores, they bite pretty bad.
    roaches ( almost all) are illegal in all Canada, exception is american roach (pest), but you sure don't want to have them anywhere close to where you live
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Theeblueking

From my experience with my pacman frogs and the dubias, the reason they dont like them and spit them out at first is because the roaches PLAY DEAD. So...I started chopping their heads off which is gross, but it workd, they headless bodies roam around the tank till eaten, and when the frogs pick them up they are still moving and pulsating so the frogs continue to eat them. Now(months later) i dont have to chop them off at all and all my frogs love them and eat them veraciously. I do also feed them baby pinky rats and pinky mice depending on their size. The other great thing i feed them is horned worms OMG they love them soooo much.

Theeblueking

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    unfortunately no, and that is killing me personally. don't get those huge crickets ( jamaican) that I saw in a lot of Vancouver stores, they bite pretty bad.
    roaches ( almost all) are illegal in all Canada, exception is american roach (pest), but you sure don't want to have them anywhere close to where you live
    Seriously??? must be a good reason for this, sounds kinda crzy

Pheathers

Blatta latteralis are annoying. They escape, and you'll find them everywhere (luckily I live in a New England, where the winters will kill off any loose roaches). They stink too. My fantasy frog and ABF eat mostly dubia, but dubia are a pain as well. They play dead and burrow, and I think the spikey legs are bothersome. Both frogs will always go for horn worms, but alas, horn worms are expensive and can't be raised easily.

Herpguy

Grif, latteralis are basically the same size as crickets. They're an awesome feeder, you should try them out.

Caspian, dubia range in size from 1/4" to 2" depending on the stage of life, I've fed them to everything from Pygmy chameleons to Therophosa blondi.

It's true that dubia are illegal in Canada, but that doesn't mean you can't find them... There are a lot of dumb animal laws that the authorities don't care about enforcing, like the mantid laws in the US. Also when my native CT made new animal laws, they didn't realize that their laws technically ban cats and dogs, it just says canines and felines.

Herpguy

Pheathers, I don't know where you got your latteralis, but when I lived in New England even though my latteralis would escape, I never once found a live one in the house, they died basically immediately because of their temperature and humidity requirements. I also never had a problem with smell.

AMKReptiles

Default Dubias

I have a large colony of dubias and my frogs Hate them lol...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information