Thread: Hello from Qc, Canada and question about choosing the right frog

Phoebastria

Default Hello from Qc, Canada and question about choosing the right frog

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this forum. I am from Mirabel (near Montreal) in Quebec, Canada. I currently have two african dwarf frogs along with a few pacific fish in a tank that has an aquatic portion and a terrestrial portion.
    I would like to put a terrestrial frog in the non-submerged portion of my vivarium. For the size I have (15 gallons) I have been suggested darts frogs, mantellas or american green tree frogs. The water part of my vivarium is about 10 cm (4 inches) at its deepest. However I am worried about the frogs drowning since none of them is apparently a good swimmer.
    Can anyone help with that?

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hello from Qc, Canada and question about choosing the right frog

Great to see another Canadian froglover welcome to the Forum.

I don't suggest inter-mixing frogs, but you can if you want.

That's a tough one. Northern Leopard frogs might be an option, though it might be a bit small... some kind of Ranid might be good. NOT an American bullfrogs. The froglets/juveniles of that species require a 20G+, let alone the adults. Possibly a wood frog or smaller kind of Ranid?

Treefrogs are good, but if you want a good swimmer, a Ranid would do. You could try a Northern Green frog, Also known as Rana Clamitans Melanota. I'm not sure where you'd get one, though. Give me some time to think about this... maybe some other, more experienced frog owners will comment and give you their suggestions.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Nationality
    [Canada]

Here's my suggestions to you in the Ranid family:

Northern Leopard frog - Rana Pipiens

Northern Green frog - Rana Clamitans Melanota

Pickerel frog - Rana Palustris

Columbia Spotted frog - Rana Luteiventris

Wood Frog - Rana Sylvatica

Crawfish Frog - Rana Areolata

Some of these frogs might be too big. Specifically, the Northern Green frog or Leopard frog. Could an owner of one of the species confirm this?

I assume that caring for these frogs would be just the same as caring for Leopard frogs. Here, take a look at this care sheet
    Frog Forum - Leopard Frog Care - Rana pipiens (Schreber, 1782) and R. sphenocephala (1886)

On a note about the Crawfish frog, does anyone know where to buy/find them? I love their coloration
    Just ask if you don't want a Ranid. I can give you lists of other possible frogs if need be
    My Amphibians:

Phoebastria

Thanks Caspian for your answers.
    I thought about native frogs like that but my worries is that the way my vivarium is set I cannot lower the temperature like they would need in the winter.
    Also I do not necessarily want a good swimmer (even more I might prefer something that does not like to be in the water too much to be sure my ADFs are safe) I just want something that is not at risk of drowning. Actually I am not even sure that any frogs can drown it is something I heard and I want to see if it is true or not before putting any animal in potential danger

your true problem would be room. in a 15g that part is aquatic, you would only have enough terrestrial space for a thumbnail, maybe 2 (doubtful). i normally build paludariums, such as yours and have never had a frog drown. sure, they may not be strong swimmers, but they CAN swim. as long as you have easy exit points and low current, you should not have a problem. i have seen my white's tree frogs and my mantellas both jump in the water and swim. can you post a pic of you tank?
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

I understand, Phoebastria. I'm a big fan of the Ranid family, so I suppose that's a part of the reason I suggested them to you

The temperature... if you're thinking about Ranid frogs hibernating, my frogs don't due to me keeping the room room-temperature, but cooler during nighttime. If you're thinking it may be too warm, that could cause your frog to go into the water too much. Better not go for a Ranid, then.

Hadn't thought of that. My bad you're right, better not risk it. I've yet to encounter frog-eat-frog action, and I definitely don't want to.

I was thinking a Firebelly Toad might be an option. Not too big, can swim well, but also goes on land as well.

Bill is right; a picture of the tank would help us a lot.
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [United States]

Native species do not have to go through a winter. Some people like to do it with their frogs to keep a "natural" cycle but they will live happily without it, they hibernate in the wild because they have too to survive not because they want to.

Fbts are mildly toxic and this could cause their tank mates to fall ill or could even be fatal so housing anything that you like and don't want to replace isn't a great idea. I have ghost shrimp with mine and they are holding up well so far but I don't know about other frogs living in the water.

I know you were thinking a frog for the terrestrial section but maybe something like a mantis? You can find many species of them online and they are pretty awesome looking.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [Canada]

Never knew that. I'm no frog expert, though.

Ah, sorry. I'm no expert on FBT's. If you want one, go talk to Bombina Bob.

I'd personally love a mantis as well, but wouldn't a mantis attack one of the frogs if it got too close to the surface? Just saying, it might not be safe for his frogs.
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Gnag the nameless View Post
    Never knew that. I'm no frog expert, though.

Ah, sorry. I'm no expert on FBT's. If you want one, go talk to Bombina Bob.

I'd personally love a mantis as well, but wouldn't a mantis attack one of the frogs if it got too close to the surface? Just saying, it might not be safe for his frogs.
    I would think the frogs would be too big for the mantis to harm but I could be wrong it would def be something to look into. I've never kept any myself, but have done a small amount looking into them and most are fed fruit flies most their lives and small-med crickets as adults. I could see how one of the larger species could potentially turn into a problem though.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Some sort of mantid would be cool. And the chances of the adf coming to the surface and the mantid attacking them woukd be slim. Another.cool option might be a millipede. Not sure how it would do with the water though. You could also go with a solo mantella or one of the vent species of dart.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to the forum!!

Phoebastria

I always wanted insects like mantids or phasmids but they are actually illegal in Canada

For natives frogs (ranids) there is also a few more problems; my lowest temperature is about 78F and my humidity is too high for ranids. Also there is nowhere to buy them around here and I am not a big fan of wild caught. Moreover, frog species here are often carriers of the batrachochitridium without being affected but it will be fatal to ADFs.

I put here a few shots of my setting so far. I am planning on adding a few more thing like moss to cover the dirt and maybe vines in the back to add more hiding spots so the future owners don't feel stalked. The pictures are hard to see though.

Name:  IMG_05072.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  66.6 KBName:  IMG_05102.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  92.8 KBName:  IMG_05132.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  96.7 KB

Thread Information