Thread: Gray Tree Frog calls in TV, commercials/adverts, films/movies and games

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Gray Tree Frog calls in TV, commercials/adverts, films/movies and games

I thought I'd start this thread because I've heard so many recordings of Gray Tree Frogs, Hyla versicolor in movies, games, and on TV. If you know any more, please add to the list. Here are some I know of:

• Legend of the Seeker, Season 1 episode 11 "Confession" you can hear them calling very well in the night scene at 19 minutes into the episode. Funny really because this show is filmed in New Zealand!
    • True Blood, several episodes - you can often hear them in the night scenes of the Louisana Bayou.
    • In the Electric Mist - bayou scenes.
    • 2009 Tampax (of all things) commercial/advert on American TV.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Gray Tree Frog calls in TV, commercials/adverts, films/movies and games

Iron Maiden's Death on the Road in the introduction to "Dance of Death". The gray treefrogs were also accompanied by spring peepers. I found both species calling one June night on the same bush near my pool. Iron Maiden, however, has yet to show up in my back yard.

I also have heard Hya versicolor calls recently on some TV show or movie. Weird thing is the show/movie took place in Africa or some other exotic locale. I, obviously, do not remember many details.

Paul Rust

Default Re: Gray Tree Frog calls in TV, commercials/adverts, films/movies and games

I'm not going to hijack this thread but let me interject for a moment. The most common call I recognize in movies, particularly Vietnam war films is the call of Pseudacris regilla, Pacific Chorus frog. Just an observation. Back to the Gray Treefrog now.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I'm not familiar with that call.

Paul Rust

Very similar to Hyla versicolor but with a faster tempo. It wouldn't surprise me if either one of us was right or wrong based on our own individual experience. I suppose that one would identify it one way or another if they didn't know what the other species sounded like. I would be very interested in identifying the species on a film by film basis. This is an intriguing thread and could end up very educational and fun. I certainly don't mean to imply that you or anyone else is wrong, I very well could be.
    Last edited by Paul Rust; March 10th, 2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Terrible spelling

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Episode one of the new FX series Justified there is a chorus of gray tree frogs (versicolor, not chrysoscelis) about 11 minutes into the episode, when the bad guy throws the rocket launcher off a bridge.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Stargate SG-1, Season 6, Episode 15 "Paradise Lost. Just after 32:00 you can hear a single Gray Tree Frog played a few times for the next minute or so.

hyla

Last night I caught gray tree frogs in a scene from Braveheart w mel Gibson. It was after his lady was killed and they were planning revenge. The other clans or whatever you want to call them joined with him and his men to fight and in the background you could hear them trilling.

Kurt

I heard them in Porky's.

Thread Information