Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Post, Yet Again Another Sexing Question (South African Pixie)

Default First Post, Yet Again Another Sexing Question (South African Pixie)

Been reading these forums for a while, since I got my South African Pixie from LLLReptile. He/She has doubled in size since we got it. What do you guys think it is--A boy or a Girl? I know it's still early, but looking forward to knowing either way. It's about 2 inches right now, maybe slightly more. I haven't officially measured it. All advice/opinions welcome! Thank you! Name:  20121221_172921.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  64.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: First Post, Yet Again Another Sexing Question (South African Pixie)

only americans have no patients, we get a pixie and everyone tells us to wait until it is 4-5 inches long or croaks at night before they can tell with better certainty. that only takes a few months with these frogs yet WE CANT WAIT THAT LONG, WE WANT TO KNOW NOW! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
    ( I HAVE THE SAME TYPE POST UP RIGHT NOW ALSO,)

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by b24082 View Post
    Been reading these forums for a while, since I got my South African Pixie from LLLReptile. He/She has doubled in size since we got it. What do you guys think it is--A boy or a Girl? I know it's still early, but looking forward to knowing either way. It's about 2 inches right now, maybe slightly more. I haven't officially measured it. All advice/opinions welcome! Thank you! Name:  20121221_172921.jpg
    welcome to the forum!
    as for your frog, it is way too early to tell or even make a guess very pretty anyway!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

sorry that last response i forgot to give my opinion on its sex, I think it looks like a male. it has a pretty big head. but then again i have a hard time figuring out the sex of my own frog and its 4.5 inches long. so someone who knows way more than me will probably know better, but i say its a male.
    just remember to feed it almost every 2 days these little guys need alot of food. the first pixie i had about 5 years ago i took care of like a pacman. i thought the pixie only needed to eat once a week but that one died and the 2 pacmans lived just fine. it wasnt until i did some reserch and found out that pixies need way more food. i started out my pixie frog on frozen pinky mice and every 2 days it got frozen rodents until some kind hearted people on this forum told me that these frogs can get very sick just eating rodents so i now feed it many different things. i will stop blabbering now. good luck!

Nationality
    [Canada]

for 2" pixie you can easily go with everyday feeding using 15 min rule.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    for 2" pixie you can easily go with everyday feeding using 15 min rule.
    that is amazing! these frogs are awesome!!! my kids just love watching ours eat and even the grandparents are interested(my kids really do clap there hands after a feeding). these frogs are machines, awesome looking machines!

Thank you for the warm welcomes. I already know its way to early. Just very anxious (american way) to find out. We (me and my gf) love it no matter what it's gender. From reading some other posts, we have been cautious on over feeding him/her. So it's been every other day mostly, or one day, then a light feeding the next, followed by a day off. We are going to offer him/her it's first monthly/bi-monthly pinkie tomorrow. He/she hasn't eaten in two days now, like i said before as to not over feed. We will post updates, and look forward to learning more.

Here are some updated pictures! Name:  20121226_174009.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  239.4 KBName:  20121226_174034.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  248.6 KB

I know it's still too early to tell. S/he has also just finished eating and all puffed up cause s/he wasn't too happy being taken out to be fed. We will keep updating though. =)

still very early to tell...it would just be a wild guess at this point lol maybe in a month we can tell

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for the warm welcomes. I already know its way to early. Just very anxious (american way) to find out. We (me and my gf) love it no matter what it's gender. From reading some other posts, we have been cautious on over feeding him/her. So it's been every other day mostly, or one day, then a light feeding the next, followed by a day off. We are going to offer him/her it's first monthly/bi-monthly pinkie tomorrow. He/she hasn't eaten in two days now, like i said before as to not over feed. We will post updates, and look forward to learning more.
    Feed the frog every day.....high protein, low fat. Dust with high quality calcium every third day. Nightcrawlers are the best staple (cheap, highly nutritious, easy to keep). These little guys grow so fast that they need lots of nutrients. Feed everyday as much as it'll eat in fifteen min. Stop worrying about obesity. Unless you are feeding only mammals your frog isn't going to get fat.....BTW, looks female.....way too young to tell, but its not an 'obvious male' so I'll stick with female for now.

In the future for sexing pics: Take one from above, one straight on at eye level, and a profile shot (side) at eye level. The frog needs to be on a flat surface (not in water it distorts) when taking the photo.

One more thing.....why are you taking it out to feed?
    Thanks
    DW

It's roughly a month and 3 weeks out of the water. So I already know it's way to early to tell. It still is fun to guess.

As far as removing from the tank, it's so that s/he doesn't eat a bunch of the substrate and to not have any leftover food roaming around the tank.

Nationality
    [United States]

You just using coco fiber? If so you don't have to worry about it unless you are feeding worms or another critter that burrows or that the substrate sticks to. Either way its fine, I just don't stress them by handling too much.
    Thanks
    DW

I was using crickets that time, and have heard bad stories about these guys eating eyes. I also wanted to control and use the 15 minute rule while s/he was fed. I had success feeding night crawlers with tongs yesterday though. So there was no need to remove him/her from the tank. I do worry about excessive handling though, and s/he really does not like it. Thank you for the advice though.

Name:  20130102_211831.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  242.8 KB

A new pic a week later. As you can see s/he is growing nicely.

Nationality
    [United States]

They grow fast! Its a lot of fun keeping these guys.....also, looks male in that pic but don't get too excited. They change A LOT at that age almost from day to day.
    Thanks
    DW

Yeah, in that pic it kinda does. I'm not getting excited (just yet ) I just wanted to take almost the same pic a week later to show the size difference. =)

Nationality
    [United States]

Well I think you lucked out and get a nice little male....I still haven't named mine yet even though he's def a male...lol
    Thanks
    DW

It's a boy...just heard him calling from under his substrate. Bruce\Heather enlightened me that it is possible for them to call at a younger age. Very cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information