Thread: World’s Largest Frog: Working with Goliath Frogs

findiviglio

Default World’s Largest Frog: Working with Goliath Frogs

Hi All,

Pac Man Frogs, African Bullfrogs and Marine Toads usually take center stage when talk turns to giant frogs. But the real goliath among them is, well, the Goliath Frog…

As a child, my information on the Goliath Frog, Conraua goliath, was limited to a few brief sentences hidden away in various books, but this was enough to spark my interest. Eventually, a life-sized sculpture of one at the American Museum of Natural History (please see photo) gave me some idea of just how impressive a creature it was, and my desire to learn more intensified. Happily, I found a job at the Bronx Zoo shortly after a group of Goliath Frogs arrived there from Cameroon, and I was able to indulge my passion. One of my new charges spanned 25 inches with legs extended…nothing, not even the enormous African Bullfrogs and Marine Toads (or, for that matter, Leatherback Turtles!) that I had already handled prepared me for the sight of that amazing animal.
    Read more here The World
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj.

Thanks, Frank
    My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog That Reptile Blog
    Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: World’s Largest Frog: Working with Goliath Frogs

that is awesome, thank you for sharing! would you be able to post pic of how their enclosure looks like and the frogs too?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

findiviglio

Default Re: World’s Largest Frog: Working with Goliath Frogs

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    that is awesome, thank you for sharing! would you be able to post pic of how their enclosure looks like and the frogs too?
    Thanks..glad you enjoyed; unfortunately, I only have one photo, but could not find it when writing the article; I will in time, and will post it. We haven't had them for many years now, nor do any other zoos I know of. Arkive has some great photos here Goliath frog photo - Conraua goliath - G5943 - ARKive. Best, Frank

Thread Information