Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bronze or Brown Mantellas?

Default Re: Bronze or Brown Mantellas?

Very cool set up Geo. Reminiscent of a cliffside valley stream rumning through the east side of madagascar. I think i saw that scene in a documentary rhe other night
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Geo

Thanks all. I am planning to add mosses on the bottom for greenery and a few areas as leaf litter sections. Using crushed almond leaf that I had around for my bettas. I would like to find something natural to add to the back wall that will grow and spread. Right now I am thinking of adding java moss as I find that to be easy. If anyone has any suggestions please pass them along. This is also my first setup with a false bottom as my pervious setups involved having waterfalls, pools and so on. This time I am trying to go for something different and more relevant to a climber rather then a swimmer species. I was inspired to try this based of some of Bill's stuff. The exo terra is the cubed 18 x 18 x 18. Would, if I have a lot of plants and such, I be able to keep 4 mantellas in this comfortably or is that pushing it? I have two in there at present. Should I cover the top to maintain humidity or partial cover it or leave it open as I am a bit confused if they prefer cool or warm / humid. I am ordering wingless fruit fly culture to provide a food source. I have noticed that they have a preference for the croton plant over the sheffllera and ivy that are presently in there.

Geo

It is a sad contradiction of sorts Heather but my take is that at this point those of us who care should do what we can to foster our interest in these things and attempt to participate by caring well for the creatures we have and help others do the same. I don't agree with the whole pet trade wild capture angle but that doesn't prevent me from making the odd purchase to save the animal from the horrible conditions I see at some of the pet shops. Hopefully the hobby, such as ourselves, will someday reach a point where we all act as a sort of breeding conservation community rather then just a pet hobby. I take the welfare of any animal in my care very seriously as it is a responsibility once you choose to bring them into your home. I just hope I can resist buying more terrariums haha. I have 2 so far which is probably nothing in comparison to some of you all but my living room doesn't look like a living room any more lol. Add to that my wife's fish tanks, our three dogs, 4 budgies, geckos, snakes and so on, I think I live in a zoo.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Bronze or Brown Mantellas?

Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    It is a sad contradiction of sorts Heather but my take is that at this point those of us who care should do what we can to foster our interest in these things and attempt to participate by caring well for the creatures we have and help others do the same. I don't agree with the whole pet trade wild capture angle but that doesn't prevent me from making the odd purchase to save the animal from the horrible conditions I see at some of the pet shops. Hopefully the hobby, such as ourselves, will someday reach a point where we all act as a sort of breeding conservation community rather then just a pet hobby. I take the welfare of any animal in my care very seriously as it is a responsibility once you choose to bring them into your home. I just hope I can resist buying more terrariums haha. I have 2 so far which is probably nothing in comparison to some of you all but my living room doesn't look like a living room any more lol. Add to that my wife's fish tanks, our three dogs, 4 budgies, geckos, snakes and so on, I think I live in a zoo.
    We feel the same. I give mine the best care possible. I feel if you can't provide what they need, then you shouldn't have them.

It would be great to assist in a conservation program. I'd love to be a true part of Amphibian Ark or another habitat fostering group. If we can keep species producing in a healthy manner than that in itself is a good thing. The breakdown of the healthy species seems to be at the level of the pet stores. Not all, but mostly within the chain stores that only want to ship them in and push them out without proper care and poor education both of the stores and then providing poor teaching to their customers. It's a shame. If we can break that cycle, then many of the ailments frog hobbyists run into would be less of an issue.

I agree...I only buy captive bred. But, if the opportunity arose for me to purchase a rare exotic breed, would I? I can't say that I wouldn't. But, I would take great care of the frogs and would hopefully encourage breeding.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Bronze or Brown Mantellas?

No worries, lol!!! We live in an organized zoo too .

I still wish I'd hit the lottery to truly have an amphibian/reptile zoo .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thanks all. I am planning to add mosses on the bottom for greenery and a few areas as leaf litter sections. Using crushed almond leaf that I had around for my bettas. I would like to find something natural to add to the back wall that will grow and spread. Right now I am thinking of adding java moss as I find that to be easy. If anyone has any suggestions please pass them along. This is also my first setup with a false bottom as my pervious setups involved having waterfalls, pools and so on. This time I am trying to go for something different and more relevant to a climber rather then a swimmer species. I was inspired to try this based of some of Bill's stuff. The exo terra is the cubed 18 x 18 x 18. Would, if I have a lot of plants and such, I be able to keep 4 mantellas in this comfortably or is that pushing it? I have two in there at present. Should I cover the top to maintain humidity or partial cover it or leave it open as I am a bit confused if they prefer cool or warm / humid. I am ordering wingless fruit fly culture to provide a food source. I have noticed that they have a preference for the croton plant over the sheffllera and ivy that are presently in there.
    i apologize Geo, i meant to respond to this days ago, and got caught up in my own little world. i think putting 4 in that tank would be pushing it, unless (i always have an unless) you have a confirmed 2 males and 2 females. mantellas are weird, females stay on the floor, while the males pick out a territory and climb high to defend it. so you would have 2 occupying the ground and 2 occupying the land. that would most likely work.

humidity, i keep mine in the high 70's. i don't heat my tank, and the tank is in a relatively unheated basement. i have a space heater to keep my part of the man/frog/fish cave at a nice 70. so they get cooler temps at night and warmer temps during the day. not as extreme as what is outside, but more like their natural habitat. and remember, if you plan on breeding them, this would be their cold, dry season (June for them). i have links for the climate of Madagascar if you need them. yeah, i researched thoroughly before i built....LOL

oh, and they are wonderful little interior decorators. one of my males has dug out a spot to hide under my oak leaf fig and the females are constantly rearranging little things on the floor. subtle changes, but i notice them. i need to stop staring at my tanks for so long...lol

btw, i just ordered 8 of those little cuties tonight, i should have them this week
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Geo

Name:  IMAG0471.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  102.0 KB

looking good!! you've got them climbing the walls already!!LOL
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Geo

Interesting Bill that you mentioned the difference between male and females. The two I have remain low and prefer to typically stay near their hiding spots. Maybe they are females although one seems to be getting a bit more adventurous the past few days and can be found on top of a low rock periodically, no calls just yet soooo. I noticed the burrowing habit the other day when the more reclusive one was in the back pushing backwards on some loose moss and made a little cave for itself that it hangs around a lot now.

I keep the humidity up and have no main heat source other then a bit of heat from the light above although I keep the top uncovered to allow a certain amount of heat escape. I mist heavy twice daily but may cut back alittle on how much per misting as one small area has a big of white hairy fungus appearing. I am hoping that after I have some cultures going strong I can introduce something small to the habitat that hopefully will control that. I had built a false buttom that appears to be helping. The plants appear at this point to be settling in and growing ok. I might add java moss to some of the dried branches to make it a bit more moist for them.

I have noticed that with the presence of moss, plants, coconut husk, and crushed dried leaves they seem to prefer the leaves no matter dry or wet. I mad a video of the habitat earlier today that I will be putting online shortly.

you'll be able to tell more in a week or so. once they are settled in, you'll know which are which. now, that's not fool proof, but it's a good indicator.

is the fungus on wood? wood will get white fungus from time to time. in fact, don't be surprised if it appears and disappears over the course of the next few weeks.

the like the leaves because that's their natural domain, hence the brown coloring. but i am sure you figured that one out by now.

ya know, you may be able to put 2 more in there. i forgot how small they are. i was comparing them to my M. Baroni this evening and the Baroni really dwarf them. oh, did i mention i just got 8 M. Betsileo, like yours?
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Geo

Congrats on your growing mantella nation lol. I plan to get a much larger terrarium in the near future after I get a feel for it via this smaller unit. The fungus is on some wood so I will leave it alone to see what happens unless it gets out of hand. I have included a link to a new video I just finished. I intend to do a better one as soon as the frogs have settled in a bit with better image, audio and info.

Geo

Name:  Bronze Mantella 1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  67.8 KB

Geo

Name:  Bronze Mantella Frog 4.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  31.7 KB

I tried to get a better pic this morning as one of them was out but the moment I approach with a camera its hide and seek time.

Name:  Bronze Mantella Frog 4.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  31.7 KB

I tried to get a better pic this morning as one of them was out but the moment I approach with a camera its hide and seek time.
    What a cutie!! Definitely a M. Betsileo. They are good for hiding from the camera....lol
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Congrats on your growing mantella nation lol. I plan to get a much larger terrarium in the near future after I get a feel for it via this smaller unit. The fungus is on some wood so I will leave it alone to see what happens unless it gets out of hand. I have included a link to a new video I just finished. I intend to do a better one as soon as the frogs have settled in a bit with better image, audio and info.

I left you a commenr on YT, but i'll leave it here as well. You did a heck of a job here. I love the depth. The tank looks much bigger than it's true size. Great job!!
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Geo

Thanks. I decided to try to find safe tropical plants that I can train to mature but remain small. From what I read online the shefflera have been used in bonsai so I thought I would give it a try. I also introduced small clump of various mosses from my other habitat. I am trying to keep things in there that are comparable in size to the frogs themselves. I noticed this morning that there appears to be grass starting to grow and a few tiny buds of something or other. I also have a few small black bugs making an appearance although from where I have no idea as it wasn't on the plants. I will add a photo if I can as I would like to try and identify what they are.

Geo

Name:  Bronze Mantella Frog 5.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  46.9 KB

Geo

Geo

Was rather excited this morning. Woke up, turned on the habitat light, misted, came back and dropped off a few tiny bugs, walked by a few minutes later and saw both frogs up front and eating for the first time. I guess you are a frogger when you find this kind of thing exciting. They remained active and then headed to the back where it is heavily planted. They did pose for me for a bit which allowed me to capture a few really good photos.

Geo

Well, I discovered that the bug that I was feeding to the matellas, and which they love, is called the larder beetle. Specifically they are very interested in the LB grub. They are very easy to grow as a food if you are familiar with raising meal worms and such. I put some dried dog food in a screened aquarium with some wood and soil from outside, sphagnum moss, rice, cereal and forest bark. Mist it periodically and before you know it you got grubs.

File:Larder beetle grub.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information