Thread: Low humidity?..

Jody1

Default Low humidity?..

HHello I am new to this and I went out and bought a terrarium it's the 24 tall one. I got fake vines and plants. I have a small rock bowl of water and a small waterfall I also use wood chips on the bottom and I even went as far as buying the automatic misting system! I have 2 whites. I have the digital thermostat with humidity and I can't get the humidity up even with the misting??? Right now the tank says 79 degrees and 27 humidity??? Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DFM

Default Re: Low humidity?..

Is it a screen top tank? if so try taping some ceran rap over half of the top

Jody1

I used cardboard and covered half. Still no luck. I think I mat get a diff gauge and make sure my digital one isn't broke cause at first it was getting wet from the mister

DFM

I am no expert and quite new to the pet frog world but i dont think cardboard would be very effective, because it doesnt seal off half of the tank, it just sort of covers it. Maybe im wrong though, id wait for someone with more experience to pipe in.

Eric Walker

You mean you have a digital temp and humidity gauge not thermostat? thermostats control temp not just give a reading. Sometimes those things can be junk. It happens. If your mist was hitting the gauge it should have jumped up to close to 100% in a few minutes. it shouldn't hurt it. Iv left mine in new vivs for a few days while misting to get an idea of how it cycles and its just fine. return it for a new one. Don't bother with the analogue ones. Their junk.

HerpDerp

To me it seems like cardboard would just suck up the humidity. You should definitely use plastic wrap to cover the top. I cover half the top of my tank. The wood chips need to go. They aren't going to do much for your humidity either. Eco-Earth or something along those lines will absorb more water and keep it more humid. And live plants are great for humidity and look great too. I highly recommend pothos since it's so easy to grow and grows FAST. Live mosses (not sphagnum) are great too.

Jody1

Sorry I didn't mean to say thermostat. Ok so today I will swap out the chips with earth and take off cardboard to see if it helps. Will let u guys know andi appreciate the feedback.

Jody1

Also the digital temp/humidity gauge stays in my tank. Isn't that the way it should be?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The sensor for the digital temp/humidity gauge stays in the tank. The display goes on the outside of your tank. Try the plastic wrap trick. I've also taken washcloth soaked with distilled water and set it on the top of the tank and then covered with plastic wrap. Another thing to take into consideration is the humidity in your house. I had a real problem with humidity once it started to get cold out but as long as I keep the whole house at a comfortable humidity, my fogger will help keep the tank at a good level.
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

Jody1

So today I removed the wood chips and added the loose echo earth dirt. Problem is I put frogs back in and dumped some crickets in and they ate but they are eating a lot of the dirt as well and it looks like they are not liking the dirt in there mouth! Is this gonna hurt the frogs! I just hate to take them out to feed them cause. Larry won't eat in the small aquarium only in the big tank?.. So am I making a mistake with the dirt????

HerpDerp

Eating coco fiber is not a big deal. The reason it's so well liked is because it's safe to ingest. I recommend doing bowl feeding or, what I do, place a food storage container in the tank with crickets in it and put your frog in the container to eat. I do it this way so I know exactly how much each frog gets.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry for the delayed response. One thing you can try is leaf litter. I put that in over my Eco Earth, it has helped to keep the water and the frogs a little cleaner. It also helps keep the moisture in the Eco Earth a little longer.

live moss is good for them too. keeps humidity up and the froggies just love it
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Jody1

Ok so the female just won't eat much. If I put her in a fish bowl or small aquarium she eats one then spends rest her time trying to get out of it. Even when I pit the smaller enclosure in the big enclosure she just wants out. She only eats about 2 crickets a week but she is very fat. The male it's fine around 6 a week and will eat 50 if I would let him

Thread Information