Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disgusted at the LFS

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Disgusted at the LFS

Was at the LFS getting cat supplies and water conditioner and can never resist popping into the fish room.

I was shocked to see a very tiny kritter keeper with a handful of small dyed african clawed frogs. SUBMERSED into another tank!

I went to an employee and pointed it out and the fact that they had no access to air. She said "Oh the shipment just came in. I'm sure they are fine. When they are really little they still have gill things inside to breathe water." I replied that infact they do NOT. She refused to remove them from the container unless I bought them. I don't have the space for 8 ACF right now, especially since they were charging $!5 each for the fact that they were dyed!

I tried again and again but she said she would mention it to her boss and that was the most she would do.

You can't see them that well, a few were at the top of the container near the lid. They are in a 10 gallon with other dyed tetras etc.

72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ejh805

Default Re: Disgusted at the LFS

Reading this made my stomach turn.
    Shame on these people!

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

It was so upsetting. I had no choice but to leave them - I didn't have the funds or space. And buying them would just have made room for them to order more.
    I tried calling a few times to talk to the manager but he wasn't available or in.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

That's horrible! All she had to do was open the lid . And to boot, dyed . Can you report them somehow? I think I'd have reached in there and opened it .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

LFs are all about volume and moving product. very few anymore care about the state of their animals. it's a pity really. i am wondering though, if those were dyed or not. the tetras in the tank are painted glass tetras, not a dye job, at least the ones i can see in the pic. but the new ones they have out are actually genetically modified. jelly fish dna spliced in. it's the new fad, those glo fish. so i am kind of wondering if the frogs aren't the same?
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

That seriously blows. What a crappy pet store. You would think the place would know well enough not to immediately drown his stock upon arrival. I would have threw a huge fit.

Total idiots..

Nationality
    [Canada]

Jenna you should post the name here or PM me. I will be happy to send them an email with those pics attached. I would possible be a real *** and CC someone at PETA to really get the party started too. That pisses me off so bad. How can people refuse to have a brain?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    Jenna you should post the name here or PM me. I will be happy to send them an email with those pics attached. I would possible be a real *** and CC someone at PETA to really get the party started too. That pisses me off so bad. How can people refuse to have a brain?
    I was actually thinking the same thing...that someone should report them. I'd do it. I'd use my own name to report it. If you'd like me too, just PM me.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Pheathers

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    I wouldn't get PETA involved, they don't want anyone to have ANY pets...I would keep trying to contact the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheathers View Post
    I wouldn't get PETA involved, they don't want anyone to have ANY pets...I would keep trying to contact the manager.
    I hate to be the downer here, but i agree, complain to the owner. If it would help advance their political agenda, PETA would get involved,but it won't. otherwise, penning them a letter will just waste $.40(?) and make your hand tired. We have had this discussion on planted tank forums for years.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    I hate to be the downer here, but i agree, complain to the owner. If it would help advance their political agenda, PETA would get involved,but it won't. otherwise, penning them a letter will just waste $.40(?) and make your hand tired. We have had this discussion on planted tank forums for years.
    Very true. You make a good point.

Nationality
    [Canada]

In this world there is always someone looking to make a public spectacle of wrong-doing. If not PETA, then someone. This was mainly just a rant, but I am willing to call and complain and let those pics get out somewhere when the denials start.

This is horrible! Jenna, I'm proud of you for resisting temptation to buy them. That would have only meant more money for the scum that think it's okay to dye living animals! And what a useless idiot that wouldn't even let them out of the container. I've seen froglets that size at my LFS and they spend half their time at the surface BREATHING. UGH!
    There's a poor excuse for a pet store by me that I stopped in once. I was already upset by the conditions of the puppies, birds, and rodents they sold. But I about lost my **** when I saw the fish/frogs. I had to reach my hand in the ACF froglet tank to free a little guy that had got himself caught in the filter. Employee just shook his head and ignored me.

This treatment reminds me of the "eco" death traps that they sell dwarf frogs in. I've seen them in a kid's education store and had to resist the same temptation to save them. I don't want to help their business.
    https://www.wildcreations.com/

15. This member thanks SwimminSteve for this post:

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

That is just vile!

And they won't even give the frogs some air!? That makes me put on a kind of face, literally.
    I'm disgusted when I see petstores mistreat animals, but this is one of the worst I've seen...
    How can they be so ignorant, so selfish, to not even give the frogs air!

I'm planning on getting a small job in my local petstore, of whom I trust, but if I see one incident like this, I am first correcting it, then slamming the door on my way out. Jesus, what these people do sometimes really makes me sick!
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

FriedrichsFrogs

The last few times iv been to the petsmart around my place for my crikets, i noticed theyv got in a new pacman. Except hes also in a carry box like this one shown, inside of another tank thats about 15gal !! Why? I figured they did that cause he was a new product that day and the employees hadnt gotten around to introducing it to the new environment yet. Thing is, hes been in the same carry tank for about a month now?! i just dont understand it. Its the only animal within that tank, i dont get why hes still being quarantined

Nationality
    [United States]

Baby pac's are fine in knitter keepers. In sure the oe that you saw probably was a little on the small side but it's common for pet stores to keep em like that. By placing them in a tank that's already heated they don't have to use any new equipment for it. I know my Morbo was in a tiny one inside of an emperor scorpion tank!

What kills me is when you go into a part store and see 6 pac's living together in a 10-15 gal and when you ask the employee if they are worried about them eating each other they just kinda shrug their shoulders

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Miss Blue

so horrible!

Nationality
    [United States]

Would these frogs not asphyxiate in under one hour if not sooner? That would be a good sign to the LFS that you shouldn't keep ACF submerged..

My LFS does not care very well for their ACF either, last time I looked there was a small dead ACF in the tank and they housed them with bullfrog tadpoles for some stupid reason and the bullfrog tads were all dead and being sucked into the filter....... sadly the other LFS store by me stopped carrying ACF and I won't buy from the other pet store, it's a nice shop but the ACF, not so much. I should bring it to their attention IDK if they'd care though.

LunaDay

THEY DYE FROGS???? What kind of ***** up world are we living in. PEOPLE BUY DYED FROGS??? ...::::sigh:::...

I will call a manager too if you want. Sickening.

arielgasca420

a good number of angry voices will get the boss irritated enough. Hopefully to the point of saying," oh heck! I will give them what they want if that's what it will take to shut them up!" See if you can get some of your friends in the area to call the store and complain to upper management.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information