Thread: Disgusted at the LFS

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Disgusted at the LFS

Update on that LFS.

Went Monday for random supplies etc and saw this:
    They are still in that stupid little kritter keeper on the bottom of the tank. No surface access. One froglet dead.

Brought it to an employee's attention and AGAIN stated how these are surface breathers and all will die with out access to fresh air.

Went back on Tuesday (I needed crickets)
    I was happy to see this:
    kritter keeper attached to the top of the tank with air access!

72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Progress! : )

Although this sure is an improvement, I´m speechless about how ignorant people can be It´s so damn cruel from the staff to just let them drown with a shrug, since you´ve already told them weeks ago. Aren´t there animal protecting laws in the USA? I would´ve reported them to the responsible authority. Incredible!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jenste View Post
    Update on that LFS. Went Monday for random supplies etc and saw this:
    They are still in that stupid little kritter keeper on the bottom of the tank. No surface access. One froglet dead...
    Bad owner, bad manager, bad caretaker... bad frog karma to all !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

It is quite worrying indeed. The sheer ignorance that spreads via petshops is incredible.

In my local store, which is sadly the monopoly of my town, the Xenopus laevis are sold as 'Golden Frogs'. And whenever somebody asks them about their info, they adapt it to the tank on the customer, so they can sell them. For example, before research, I asked them if they're coldwater frogs and they said that indeed they were. In addition, they also said that they can thrive on a cube of bloodworms and a pinch of flakes a weed. The only 'legit' information that was given was the fact that these frogs will eat any fish that fits into their mouths in adulthood.

You would think that these places should have a certain intellectual standard which all employees should follow. If I owned a petshop, I'd make a policy in which only customers who answer a set of questions regarding the fish they're about to buy could buy them. Sure, I'd lose money but why would somebody run a petshop with no passion for these animals, are they only driven by money?

Sigh, I'm glad that they gave the little fellows some air to breath.

Hidr

To work in most pet shops all you need is a SSN. They don't care if you know anything. Probable rather you didn't so you wont try to change the cheep way they do things.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Necromencer View Post
    It is quite worrying indeed. The sheer ignorance that spreads via petshops is incredible.

In my local store, which is sadly the monopoly of my town, the Xenopus laevis are sold as 'Golden Frogs'. And whenever somebody asks them about their info, they adapt it to the tank on the customer, so they can sell them. For example, before research, I asked them if they're coldwater frogs and they said that indeed they were. In addition, they also said that they can thrive on a cube of bloodworms and a pinch of flakes a weed. The only 'legit' information that was given was the fact that these frogs will eat any fish that fits into their mouths in adulthood.

You would think that these places should have a certain intellectual standard which all employees should follow. If I owned a petshop, I'd make a policy in which only customers who answer a set of questions regarding the fish they're about to buy could buy them. Sure, I'd lose money but why would somebody run a petshop with no passion for these animals, are they only driven by money?

Sigh, I'm glad that they gave the little fellows some air to breath.
    On a side note to that though, I hate when some 18 year old kid tries to drill me when I got to purchase something, it's like "look kid, I've been at this way before you were born. I think I'll be ok with this guppy."

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    On a side note to that though, I hate when some 18 year old kid tries to drill me when I got to purchase something, it's like "look kid, I've been at this way before you were born. I think I'll be ok with this guppy."
    I see truth in this. I would feel the same.

In all honesty, isn't it obvious when somebody is inexperienced? I mean if a mother comes in with her two kids after school, and wants 4 goldfish for her 10L tank in the kitchen, would you rather have a member of staff kindly explain that this is cruel for the fish, or allow the procedure to take its course and potentially kill the fish?

It's a delicate subject, it will and does differ depending on location and management.

reptileszz

Oh dear. I think i might lurk around and move it myself? Ugh ugh ugh

carole

oops just read there was happy ending. Stupid ipad led me to believe no responses

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

I would have loved to raise it to the surface but due to cameras I did not want it to look like I was trying to steal the frogs.

I hate it when I am buying xyz fish or posting about something with my tanks and I have someone who has five goldfish in a bowl and a betta in a vase questioning me about my set up. I have been around tanks most of my life, yes a lot of my family's practices were wrong, but since having my own I have strived to do things right. I am on numerous forums, most of them fish forums, and currently breed angelfish and keep discus, among other species. Being questioned or criticized about guppies, cories, etc is maddening when it comes from someone who doesn't understand what it means to "cycle a filter" or the "nitrogen cycle" etc etc.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

Out of curiosity here but seriously how long could those froglets survive without access to air? I always thought that X. Laevis had little cutaneous respiration and would drown.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information