Thread: 2 tree frogs I'd like

Starforce2

Default 2 tree frogs I'd like

Mossy tree frog and amazon milk frog
    Mossy Frog for Sale
    Amazon Milk Frog for Sale

Don't really know anything about them. I can get a bit of care on the amazon milk but I am leaning to not trusting internet care sheets more and more as some of them don't even agree on basics. I'd rather hear from owners. I plan on using some type of light weight plastic bin modified with a screen opening for air flow and likely a substrate of sphagnum moss and/or some type of organic (no additives) bagged soil from the garden store to keep humidity since they will likely not be on the ground except to visit their water dishes. But any details on what you've done, temps and so on will be helpfull. I want to keep the cage as simple as possible while getting the job done. Foods available on a regular basis are meal worms, super worms, night crawlers, and of course crickets. Sometimes I can get dubia roaches but even my pacman spits those out...

I know as a general rule tree frogs need no special lighting and cool temps, but I have no idea if that works for these 2 species because there are exceptions like the wax monkey which needs something completely opposite, and I need to know the max temp too so I can make sure the basement doesn't get too warm if we get a hot spell like last summer...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 2 tree frogs I'd like

Hi there
    YES always question something you see on care sheets if you are unsure, i usually get most of my frog info from Barron's (Books) or Amphibiancare.com
    The amazonian milk frog would have similar care to a whites tree frog. Ive never heard of the mossy frog before.

Hope you find the proper care for these guys before buying them!

there's not a lot of care info for the mossy's out there. several members do have them and they say the care on them is relatively simple. the same with the milk fogs. a search for either should bring up some threads where this very question has been asked. in fact, i know it will, because i just read them not too long ago. good luck
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

oh, i can tell you that the mossy frogs are semi aquatic. they like a nice water area to hang out in. so, the larger the water bowl the better in a simplistic set up.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Eric Walker

Theloderma corticale are really not a tree frog imo. They will hang out on the glass high above the water sometimes but never stray to far from it. Actually for them a fully aquatic setup would be best with wood protruding from the water. They typically lay just above the water line. They will spend all day in the water sometimes deep in it and sometimes with just their snout sticking out. Water quality is crucial for them as well as inflow since they are prone to bacterial eye infections. so a proper filter is a necessity. i raised my froglets in a non aquatic setup for a few months before transferring them over. they can tolerate temps quite low but don't like temps over 80f. when keeping them aquatic a floating feed station like a small plastic shoe box is a good way to keep crickets out of the water. these frogs are quite loud and if your not a heavy sleeper keeping them as far away from your bedroom is a good idea as they will call ALL night. They are a pretty sturdy frog as far as handling goes but as with all frogs its not a good thing to do unless you need to.

Eric Walker

Wow just realized your right down the roadfrom me too. awesome. Im over in south st Paul. If you like im always open to frogers stopping over to talk frogs and check things out. I no longer have my t corticale as i gave them to a friend but i am keeping and breeding Theloderma asperum. Much smaller but kept the same. Its nice to see more froggers popping up around here lately.

Starforce2

Yea, I like frogs and toads, looking to get polypedates dennysi, in addition to the 2 above, and 1 or 2 large toad species such as cane toad and bufo japonicus which might be fun to hunt down. I am technically in oakdale.

ANyways, I heard it's good to place cork items in water because it leaches beneficial substances into the water? Also, I am curious as to what you use as a filter? Floating cork chunks are used at twin city reptile for the cricket in the water issue. Someone mentioned good inflow...did you mean airflow or do they need flowing water? Also you seem to be using a different species name, I am after Theloderma bicolor, just to clear up any confusion, not Theloderma corticale, which seems to be something else according to my quick search. Just want to make sure we are talking about the correct frog here...

edit: where's my sig? How do I get it to actually show?

Eric Walker

I wouldn't recomend tcr for frog advice. there specialty is snakes and monitors. They seem to know nothing about proper husbandry of frogs. I use to sell them a fewfrogs here and there but never again. the bicolor you most likely won't find. They only came in a few times and iv never seen or heard of them being cb. But you in luck because the only noticeable difference between bicolor and corticale is bicolor have a yellowish belly and corticale don't. yes i ment airflow. But they seem to like a bit of current too. Not alot. I would regulary catch them sitting right in front of the outlet for my filter using the current to help pull away skin shed. Im not sure of the model # or gallons/min but just a standard fluval brand is what i was using. the cork raft for feeding presents one problem. These guys are aggressive eaters and one lunge at a cricket on The cork is going to send the rest jumping. Iv seen them pick crickets off the surface but not often and only one or two. also i want to point out the entire genus of theloderma are called mossy frogs. Also warty frogs and paddle leg frogs. the care for the entire genus is pretty much identical.

Sorry for any poor spelling and punctuation. My phone is a royal pain to type on.

Eric Walker

It appears the photo in your link is corticale not bicolor. I see no yellow in the chest area which i would expect even with as little is visible. Also their talk of being able to sex them makes me laugh. These are notoriously one of the hardest frogs to do so with as there is no real size difference, females have been know to vocalize , nuptial pads are only present when breeding, and to top it off males will go into amplexus with other males quite frequently. They will lock up with the first frog theycan grab. Also their cb sex ratios have been known to be somewhere around 25:1 being male heavy which makes provin females go for around 250$ each. All this is why you don't see tons of people breeding them. They are.not.difficult to breed once you have a pair and a propper setup.

Starforce2

I'm not really concerned with the sex or breeding so that's not a problem. I did notice, after more searching, that there seems to be lots of cross over in the images when you search the species name so I guess everyone else can't figure it out either, lol. If I use a big enough cage I can use a flat cork sheet from a hobby store for a raft which should actually support the frog for the most part. They can't be that heavy. Or I can just do a custom cage, install a floor drain, and do a rock island in the middle.

Thread Information