Thread: Isopod Questions...

Cylifornia

Default Isopod Questions...

I don't yet have a frog, but I'm getting a White's tree frog this summer but before I go to the pet store I want to get the terrarium, get it set up, get the heat and humidity balanced and get the isopods settled in (that probably sounds wierd...). and then go to the pet store, get the froggy and his crickets, put the crickets in their cricket keeper (which will be previously set up) and put some of them in the tank, followed by the frog.
    Sorry for the lengthy scedule but I love schedules, very resourceful. all timetables aside, there is going to be about a week between the time i get the isopods in the tank and the time I get the frog in the tank and I know the iso's feed off the frog's waste so how i keep them alive until the frog gets there?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

fish4all

Default Re: Isopod Questions...

Only advice I can offer and it may be way off base:
    Planted tank with substrate, add nothing extra.
    Bare tank with no substrate maybe add a couple hardwood leaves with a hardwood branch and add a little of food of choice: fish food, small piece of softened dog food, or a piece of really soft cucumber. Personally I still wouldn't add anything. I don't believe they would starve in a week.

J Teezy

If using substrate and live plants shouldn't need anything else. Just an fyi my giant orange iso cultures eat leaf litter and red bell pepper scrapes. They love the bell pepper

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Cylifornia View Post
    I don't yet have a frog, but I'm getting a White's tree frog this summer but before I go to the pet store I want to get the terrarium, get it set up, get the heat and humidity balanced and get the isopods settled in (that probably sounds wierd...). and then go to the pet store, get the froggy and his crickets, put the crickets in their cricket keeper (which will be previously set up) and put some of them in the tank, followed by the frog.
    Sorry for the lengthy scedule but I love schedules, very resourceful. all timetables aside, there is going to be about a week between the time i get the isopods in the tank and the time I get the frog in the tank and I know the iso's feed off the frog's waste so how i keep them alive until the frog gets there?
    I use green zucchini for raising isopods ( they love it ) in a separate container w/ loose chunky soil.
    Once they are in the tank w/ plants, roots, wood and frog poop etc -they will nothing else.
    Springtails, on the other hand , are easier, reproduce more quickly ( I think), and require only live bakers yeast and loose soil.
    I use ABG in both the springtail and isopod cultures. When I want to remove them... I just scoop some out/ and replace the soil as needed.

You might seriously consider a quarantine period for your new frog.
    In a small tank ( ie 10 gallons) w/ plain paper towel substrate( dampened with de-chlorinated water)
    get to know him-keep that close watch on him.
    This is and ideal opportunity observe his habits, monitor his food and poop. ( yes poop)
    You will be able to address any issues immediately !

This small tank will never go to waste when you keep frogs.
    One should always have a hospital tank and some basic first aid supplies on hand.

Is the 'pet store' a herp store specializing in lots of amphibians and reptiles or is it a place that gets one or two frogs now and then?
    You want to be alerted to the frog's care prior to your purchase of it.

All food for thought.

You are doing a really great job- preparation/research PRIOR to obtaining a frog is too often overlooked!

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

J Teezy

if you want to breed here is what I do

I use a shoe box container I get at Wal Mart and fill it with about 2.5 inches of ABG soil. Then I crush up some leaf litter and spread on top. On one end i put pieces of cardboard. The other end is where I put the vegetable scraps

I use a soldering lron to put small holes In the lid and at the end where l put the food. For humidity 1 spray the cardboard with water to keep it damp.lt you want a picture of my breeding set up let me know. My iso cultures breed like rabbits.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Cylifornia

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    I use green zucchini for raising isopods ( they love it ) in a separate container w/ loose chunky soil.
    Once they are in the tank w/ plants, roots, wood and frog poop etc -they will nothing else.
    Springtails, on the other hand , are easier, reproduce more quickly ( I think), and require only live bakers yeast and loose soil.
    I use ABG in both the springtail and isopod cultures. When I want to remove them... I just scoop some out/ and replace the soil as needed.

You might seriously consider a quarantine period for your new frog.
    In a small tank ( ie 10 gallons) w/ plain paper towel substrate( dampened with de-chlorinated water)
    get to know him-keep that close watch on him.
    This is and ideal opportunity observe his habits, monitor his food and poop. ( yes poop)
    You will be able to address any issues immediately !

This small tank will never go to waste when you keep frogs.
    One should always have a hospital tank and some basic first aid supplies on hand.

Is the 'pet store' a herp store specializing in lots of amphibians and reptiles or is it a place that gets one or two frogs now and then?
    You want to be alerted to the frog's care prior to your purchase of it.

All food for thought.

You are doing a really great job- preparation/research PRIOR to obtaining a frog is too often overlooked!

Lynn
    Thak you for the detailed answer. I have 2 places to get my frog, I can go to the pet store that sells birds, rabbits, hamsters and a few herps or I can go to a place called Reptile Kingdom, the name is pretty self explanitory. I plann on going to RK.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thak you for the detailed answer. I have 2 places to get my frog, I can go to the pet store that sells birds, rabbits, hamsters and a few herps or I can go to a place called Reptile Kingdom, the name is pretty self explanitory. I plann on going to RK.
    "RK" sounds like a good idea .
    The frog's health/care is an important consideration prior to your purchase.

Ask lots of questions: How long have they had the frog, how has it been eating, how old is the frog, where did the frog come from, are they captive bred or wild caught, ( avoid wild caught- especially if it's young), if they bred them- themselves........ where and who did they get their original frogs from ? They don't have to give you a specific breeder's name, but they should have basic information available about the breeder. All of these questions should be happily answered by the seller-- and holds them accountable .

You must be excited---we will be needing lots of photos !
    Keep us posted !
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Cylifornia

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    "RK" sounds like a good idea .
    The frog's health/care is an important consideration prior to your purchase.

Ask lots of questions: How long have they had the frog, how has it been eating, how old is the frog, where did the frog come from, are they captive bred or wild caught, ( avoid wild caught- especially if it's young), if they bred them- themselves........ where and who did they get their original frogs from ? They don't have to give you a specific breeder's name, but they should have basic information available about the breeder. All of these questions should be happily answered by the seller-- and holds them accountable .

You must be excited---we will be needing lots of photos !
    Keep us posted !
    Lynn
    Im beyond excited!

Kody

Okay, not sure if this is covered, but here:

I would suggest Eco earth for substrate. It should be 3-4 inches deep to allow burrowing, which they need to do. Add leaf litter for the to munch on, and plenty of hiding spots such as rocks, logs, and plants. If you want to make sure they have plenty of calcium and protein, feed eggshell and I would say freeze dried shrimp (that's what I use). Isopods will eat anything organic; fruits, veggies, plants, woods, ect. They're pretty easy to care for. Humidity he's to be high and they need to be about 70-75 degrees

Nationality
    [United States]

...put the crickets in their cricket keeper (which will be previously set up) and put some of them in the tank, followed by the frog.
    Looks like you've done research and got good advice here. Would like to point out that no matter if setting up frog in enclosure or a temporary hospital for quarantine and observation (recommended); strongly suggest you resist the urge of feeding frog for a couple of days. Once frog is settled in; then feed it late on day 2 or morning of 3 if day active species. An empty stomach is not affected by stress and the animal will use it's energies to deal with it; rather than for digestion.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information