Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sick Cornuta...Neurological?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick Cornuta...Neurological?

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    I'm expecting turds from the ornata and cornuta any time now. Hopefully before Mon. I already plan to take my peppermint in to check him out....btw, he had a seizure today when I changed water. If he doesn't improve in the next week (has more seizures, heads back down hill...) I'm just going to put him down. Doesn't need to suffer IMO. Hopefully he'll continue to improve. Other than the seizure, he's looking better color wise. The hole in his leg is looking a little better.
    Seizures can be caused by Vitamin deficiencies. Most of the Peppermints are fed only Pacman Food and this is why I say that I don't believe it has all that a Pacman needs. Otherwise this wouldn't happen as often. Try using some Herptivite multivitamin powder. I use it and have never had an issue like this with any of my Pacs.

Give this a try and see if it fixes the problem.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pluke

Just curious DeeDub, are you using tap water? I haven't read the whole thread just skimmed through it.. if the substrate smelled like sulfur that's pretty scary and strange stuff, it kind of feels like your water source could be part of the problem. Well water can have a bad smell to it and I'm sure even regular tap water could run into problems sometimes.. I'm going to suggest, just in case, that you use bottled spring water like Ice Mountain. It's the only water I use and I could probably use my well water, I just don't trust it enough. I usually buy the 2.5 gallon jugs they sell it in and if I need to heat it up I'll put it in a small container like a 20oz bottle or whatever and run it under hot water like you would if you were warming up baby formula it's a little extra work but it's worth it for the piece of mind alone. I just don't really trust to many water sources, not even for myself to drink.

Sorry to hear about your Cornuta man..

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Thanks Pluke. I do use treated tap water. I use Reptisafe to treat it. I let it gas for over 24 hours. I've been thinking of going to spring water. Its so damn expensive though. I know it doesn't seem like much, but I go through about 5 gallons a week. That's not including when I have to change out and clean my pyxie tank. That's five to ten gallons used right there.

As far as supplements go: I dust with Miner-all every other feeding and Vit-all once a week (Vit-all is a gut load multivitamin). I've been wary of the Pac food from the beginning. Its full of plant matter, unknown fish protien, and an a$$ load of ash. Its just not good for them. Its very convenient and I've tried it because I got a partial bag for free, but I won't be using it anymore. Not saying that's what caused this, but its a variable that I can eliminate. My dead Cornuta and the peppermint would often only eat the pacman food.....just saying...lol
    Thanks
    DW

Pluke

I have a peppermint that refuses to eat anything but pacman food and a peppermint that has completely stopped pacman food and only wants crickets/worms if i'm lucky. The peppermint on the pacman food IMO is doing much better, he's filling in great and looks brighter. The one who stopped pacman food is just acting weird and not eating as much, but I'm pretty sure it's just because of the weather. Lots of snow and cold air here and I think they can feel the atmospheric change so they are slowing down on the food and staying buried for multiple days at a time.

All in all I think the pacman food is OK, despite all the ingredient concerns. Of course I'm stubborn and usually go by experience through failure so if you think the pacman food had anything to do with it's demise, then I wouldn't expect you to keep feeding it to them. Just telling you my experience with it.

EricIvins

Test for Chytrid and Rana, then take it from there.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information