Thread: monsoon & hydrotherm

ZipsMom

Default monsoon & hydrotherm

I just received my monsoon-- $87 from thatpetplace! and also on sale at drfostersmith for $90..... I have a hygrotherm I just bought also... is there a way to hook the two together? I'd rather have it set to keep the humidity steady... rather than program for every so many hours to go on as I'm not home 10 hours of the day and my humidity fluctuates so much.... I should've asked this before I bought the two.... thanks in advance!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: monsoon & hydrotherm

I believe the built in timer sort of negates you from using it, but i am not 100% sure. I never tried using the monsoon i had with one. Maybe.someone may have tried that combo and will weigh in.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

I don't have one, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with the Monsoon set to 'continuous mode' with the hygrotherm regulating when the monsoon gets power.

deeishealthy

I actually hooked my monsoon up to the same timer as my daytime lights. I bought the timer that has two sockets, and have my red light on a second timer by itself. The way I have it set up, the daytime lights and monsoon all run from 5:30am to 5:30pm and the red light runs from 5:30am to 10:00pm. I messed around with the red light at first, but having it and the daytime lights on at the same time keep the heat where Ernie n Bert need it to be. The monsoon keeps the humidity up to where they need it, and only the red light from 5:30pm to 10:00pm means I can see them while they feed and play and stare me down with what Im sure is frog mental telepathy cuz I'm sure I hear "criiiickets, more criiiickets" in my head. Having all those lights on for heat does evaporate my humidity quickly so I have the monsoo set for one minute every hour. I go through a LOT of water, thus my other threads looking for alternatives to buying distilled water (I still need to test the ph of my rainfall, but I have four gallons ready to go if it's good). I am draining the watertable under the soil twice a day, an wish there was some way to filter it and reuse that water. It just seems so wasteful to me. When the daytime lights and monsoon shut off at 5:30pm, the humidity stays where it is supposed to as the tank cools down during the night. I have created the perfect little ecosystem (just need springtails, but I might have a line on some soon) with just a monsoon, lights and two dual socket timers! (okay only one needed to be dual socket, but whatever)

ZipsMom

Thanks guys! I just hate to send the monsoon back... I thought every 2 hours would be enough, but came home today to 47% humidity. When I left this AM it was at 78%. I'll mess with the hygrotherm tomorrow while I'm home.... I am working on trying to figure out a plexiglass piece for part of Zippy's top. All these problems for one little frog. I'm a new mommie and still trying to figure her habitat out. Does anyone know where to hang the sensors for the temp & humidity in the tank for a red eye? I had them 1/2 way but then read they should be higher up in the tank, so they're pretty close to the top now. I have 3 different sets and they are all reading different... and not off by a few degrees but by like 10 each!

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

try to plug it into hydrotherm, but for me personally mister+ hydrotherm didn't work, mister would create too much humidity too fast and i needed to keep humidity/temp constant. fogger works better as it creates very fine mist and easy to maintain constant environment. I have moonson and mistking and now I am using both for cresties rather then frogs.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    try to plug it into hydrotherm, but for me personally mister+ hydrotherm didn't work, mister would create too much humidity too fast and i needed to keep humidity/temp constant. fogger works better as it creates very fine mist and easy to maintain constant environment. I have moonson and mistking and now I am using both for cresties rather then frogs.
    i would agree here, foggers are a bit better for building and keeping humidity quickly, as long as it is something like a reptifogger or a modified humidifier. the ultrasonics really don't add much humidity, at least they don't in my tanks, i just use them for the effect they give.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

A mister is really good for live plants and keeping the substrate
    moist.
    But as far as actual humidity is concerned the mister doesn't really humidify the air directly.
    The water that is sprayed on the surfaces evaporates then it raises the RH of the air in the
    habitat.
    If I had live plants I would use both.
    Call me crazy but a fogger gets the air humidified directly.

My zoomed repti fogger and hygrotherm keep my 18 X 18 X 24 eco-terra with the CFL small
    light hood and two mini deep dome light fixtures covering the top.
    and it stays at 76% with only a paper towel substrate.(moistened)

Does the mister have a continuous setting.
    if so that is what you should use if you plug the mister into the hygrotherm.
    I have my day time lights on a simple timer and the red LED lights I have stay on all the time.
    But I am looking into getting shorter bulbs for my EXO-terra light cycle controller that can simulate
    dusk to dawn.

Nationality
    [Canada]

hey Bill reptifogger is ultrasonic humidifier but i don't like it much i just hate to buy distilled water all the time and even using it i had to exchange 4 times my current one. I use modified regular home ultrasonic humidifiers
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    hey Bill reptifogger is ultrasonic humidifier but i don't like it much i just hate to buy distilled water all the time and even using it i had to exchange 4 times my current one. I use modified regular home ultrasonic humidifiers
    sorry, i should have been specific, i meant the little silver ultrasonics that you put under the water. i didn't think anyone was going to get THAT technical.....but i should have known better....LOL and i agree, i broke a reptifogger in a week. i prefer using home humidifiers that i can modify.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

WoW
    My unit has been working great for the last few months
    and in that time I have only used 2 1/4 gallons of distilled water.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    sorry, i should have been specific, i meant the little silver ultrasonics that you put under the water. i didn't think anyone was going to get THAT technical.....but i should have known better....LOL and i agree, i broke a reptifogger in a week. i prefer using home humidifiers that i can modify.
    LMAO, yeah you should have known better it is frog forum you know lol

ZipsMom

lol--my husband is going to say *I told you so*--from day one he kept telling me to pass on the monsoon.... and to get the habbimist or the reptifogger.... guess I'll package this monsoon back up and mail it back I thought it was pretty neat and handy... but oh well. What kind of humidifiers can you modify? I did see a post on where it talked about them, but I didn't see an actual pic anywhere? I'm going to hate telling mr husband this! and thank you all for your input... how one little frog can drive someone crazy is beyond me

Nationality
    [Canada]

I'm sure after you set everything up you are going to laugh how difficult it looked now lol

you can modify any ultrasonic humidifiers, the ones they sell everywhere to use at home, you can get the least expensive one, then get a hose from any home improvement store that would fit the hole from where the fog is coming from and silicone it in or just tape is with something, so it stays in place, that is it you can check I'm sure there are a lot of videos on youtube and threads on here about it. it is really easy.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wait,
    if you have a planted viv then keep it.

after looking at the owners manual, I don't recommend putting this unit under the control of the Hygrotherm
    It can only run for 60 seconds at a time. And Bill is correct.
    This unit does not have a continuous mode. only a 1-10 hour cycle and a 1-60 second duration settings.

if you plan on using a home brew humidifier then look for one that is ultrasonic.
    I would not use one that uses heat. You might steam your frog

Look for one that has a output that you can attach a hose to.
    Like this one
    Crane Cool Mist Humidifier - Walmart.com

you could slip a hose into the output.
    and connecting it to the hygrotherm is easy.
    I would keep the dial on the front of the fogger to min.
    it will run longer but put the fog in slowly and not make it look like you will need a light house in the VIV

There is not mich difference in between this fogger and the zoomed other than the capacity of water and one is made with a hose and the other is not.

I have found out that when I have my reptifogger on top or higher than the viv that if I didn't have the first three inches of the output hose completely vertical it would empty the water supply in less than a day.
    especially if you have the intensity level above more than 1/3.
    Large water drops are propelled out of the output tube and if you don't have at least 3 inches of tubing vertical before a downward bend it will use water too quickly and empty the 1 ltr of water into your viv.

also having it on a level surface is pretty important since it has a float switch that can get stuck if it is
    not level. If it gets stuck in the top position it will allow the unit to operate with out water and that
    will damage the ultra sonic transducer. Kinda like turning on a microwave with out anything in it.

Once a month I clean out the fogger and check the float switch and look at the ultra sonic transducer
    to see if there is any mineral deposits. So far none but mine is less than 3 months old.
    And I use distilled water in it.

There is nothing wrong with home brew equipment.
    But I do like the small form factor of the reptifogger and the neat look of it.
    Since it is in the main living space.

ZipsMom

no, no live plants.... I'm dreading like heck packing this monsoon up and having my husband ask why, lol. Guess I'll check out youtube and see if I see any ideas on there.... Louis, I checked into the crane last year for myself and never did buy it.... maybe I'll get two --one for me and one for Zip.

Thread Information