DFM

Default My big fat Rana Aurora

Name:  P1010171.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  86.6 KB
    Name:  P1010106.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  60.9 KB

This here is Hopsin. He is a wild caught r. aurora that my friend got january of 2012. My friend no longer could care for the frogs so I am now the owner of this huge (~4in long) frog.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My big fat Rana Aurora

Nice! Where'd you find it? Reminds me of my juvenile Bullfrog Gnag [Guh-nagg]

I do suggest breeding it. Those frogs are actually endangered [In my area, at least], but if you could breed the frogs, putting the eggs, tadpoles or froglets into a nearby lake, it could help reboost their population. Just a thought.

DFM

I didnt find it. It was found by a friend of mine who used to be my roommate then moved out, leaving the frogs behind.

I will do some more research about the local population and conservation status. Breeding it would be a challenging and rewarding project, I may just have to consider this

DFM

I remember, he found it in his front yard in suburban western washington.

Nationality
    [United States]

That is one beautiful looking frog, and looks very well cared for.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [Canada]

I agree. The red coloration is amazing, and it looks to be of a healthy weight and size. He is really beautiful. In my area, spotting a Rana Aurora is a rare and precious moment. We usually only have Green frogs or Bullfrogs here.

DFM

His back legs and his feet are HUGE! This picture shows that off well.
    Name:  P1010235.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  125.3 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

Wow! Even compared to my juvenile Bullfrog, Gnag, that frog has some big legs and feet!

Sehnsucht

Hi. I'm the original owner of this frog. I have a lot of pictures of him and I can answer any questions about him.

Nice! Where'd you find it?
    I caught it in my driveway a year ago. It was hopping across the street and avoided getting popped by a car, and then freaked out my friend who was standing in the driveway smoking a cigarette. I came outside, caught it, and realized right away I had found something special.

1 month in captivity, the day he got moved into his current, appropriately sized, glass tank.

I lived near a small patch of swampland about 3 blocks north, which is the direction he came from (though I only saw him for one block) and presumably he was on a journey to my neighbors lawn, which had this one bush that frogs seemed to love to live in. However I suspect because of his size (he was pretty close to top of the food chain based on how large and healthy he was when I caught him. Plus day 1 he took the largest frog poop I've ever seen in my life. I have a picture of it somewhere.) that he came from the MASSIVE swamp about 10 blocks to the south of me. A big chunk of the woods infront of the swampland was getting cut down for development at the time I found him.

3 months after being caught

That is one beautiful looking frog, and looks very well cared for.
    Thank you! I put a lot of effort into caring for it and I learned a lot about frogs and especially wild caught frogs along the way. He has definitely been spoiled and his new owner spoils him even more than me.

T3RR1B1L15

That is an impressive little guy. I wish I had the space to keep true frogs, but they usually need big vivs

Nationality
    [United States]

Beautiful frog, I think there's something cool about keeping something that you can say you caught yourself locally.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Sehnsucht

Quote Originally Posted by T3RR1B1L15 View Post
    That is an impressive little guy. I wish I had the space to keep true frogs, but they usually need big vivs
    It needs quite a bit of vertical space, it can hop ridiculous distances and heights. It has a handfull of spots it enjoys hanging out in, one of its favorites being the corner which DFM posted in the original post. I thought it would require more space than it has right now, but it seems really happy. I think we plan to redo our other viv first, but I think when we get to doing Hopsin's tank I'll get him a bigger viv again and use the one he's in for another frog.
    It lived in my bedroom for a few months and I only heard it jump and hit the side or ceiling of the viv once in that time. When it happens it's LOUD!

Beautiful frog, I think there's something cool about keeping something that you can say you caught yourself locally.
    I agree. He is a sight to behold in person.

DFM

Quote Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
    It needs quite a bit of vertical space, it can hop ridiculous distances and heights. It has a handfull of spots it enjoys hanging out in, one of its favorites being the corner which DFM posted in the original post. I thought it would require more space than it has right now, but it seems really happy. I think we plan to redo our other viv first, but I think when we get to doing Hopsin's tank I'll get him a bigger viv again and use the one he's in for another frog.
    It lived in my bedroom for a few months and I only heard it jump and hit the side or ceiling of the viv once in that time. When it happens it's LOUD!

I agree. He is a sight to behold in person.
    I made sure to keep a good spot for him in the corner to chill in when I got him the new water dish

Nationality
    [United States]

Very impressive guys! Now all you need to do is find a boyfriend for your frog in order to breed.

I assume that it's female because you have never mentioned hearing the frog call and due to its size. It appears to be in good hands.

DFM

Yes, Hopsin is definitely a female. She's in the room I sleep in and i only ever hear her when she's hopping around at night.

Sehnsucht

Quote Originally Posted by DFM View Post
    Yes, Hopsin is definitely a female. She's in the room I sleep in and i only ever hear her when she's hopping around at night.
    I agree. I don't think males get this big & I never heard her call in the time I owned her, even when I would hear other Rana frogs calling outside.

Namio

Male Rana aurora will be around 3.5 inches top with visible nuptial pads. You guys are right that this individual is definitely a female. Northern red-legged frogs are powerful jumpers and are very active at night, so a larger enclosure (20 Gallon+) should be provided for one individual frog, especially for a female. Never house this frog with another individual in the same tank. Otherwise you risk disease transmission. Like all wild-caught frogs, Rana aurora can carry chytrid and these guys can do it asymptomatically, so just keep that in mind.

Nationality
    [United States]

Very nice frog, congrats DFM !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

DFM

Hopsin gave me a bit of a scare recently, but some pedialite and a quarrantine for a few days while her enclosure was redone did the trick. She is one hell of a resilient frog thats for sure. I couldnt afford any meds or a vet, and im certain that it was a bacterial infection, but she pulled out of it and last night she was very active chasing crickets all over the enclosure

Thread Information