Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need help asap

tattoofix

Default I need help asap

I bought a froglet from Petsmart about 12 days ago. I have been keeping his tank at the correct temps and hummidity. But all of a sudden I looked over and he is kicking his legs and opening his mouth, Its like he's trying to throw up because his whole body puffs out and stuff. I do not know whats going on. He hasn't even eaten since I got him.

HELP!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I need help asap

He is toxing out. Soak him in some clean water and change his bedding

unkempt1

Oh no! I would recommend waiting for one of the experts to come by. The first thing that comes to mind for me is to ask you to post your answers to the "trouble in the enclosure" stickied post in this forum. Posting a pic of your setup would be good too.

I am still pretty novice when it comes to sick frogs, but I have seen more experienced posters ask what the substrate is, and what type of treated water you use on it. Bottled water, chlorine treated, etc. whatever it is. If its bad they will tell you to bathe him.

Edit: I see one of those veterans posted a few seconds after me. Sweet!

Nationality
    [United States]

Like Unkempt said, post the info on the trouble in the enclosure sticky.

Usually when someone new to frogs has a tox issue, it's because they haven't been treating the water correctly. What dechlorinator/deaminator do you use? If you haven't been using these, then you need to change his substrate (expanding it with treated water) and soak him in the treated water.
    Also, the only type of bottled water that is okay is spring water. Distilled will also harm the frog.

If you've been doing the water correctly, my apologies. But that's a common issue and I wanted to put that out there so you could change it out ASAP if it's the problem.

Nationality
    [United States]

Puffing up moving legs and opening mouth sounds like shedding to me, unless you are saying he puffed up and hasn't shrunk back down, but please answer trouble in the enclosure questions

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

frogsanity12

I believe Mike is right it sounds like a Tox issue. When it gets to that point it almost always turns out bad. Definitely clean out the enclosure and use de-clorinated water. Good luck. Read a book by Allen R Both. It's very helpful and it's only 99cents on itunes.

Nationality
    [United States]

Clean soak immediately in luke warm dechlorinated water. Could be a seizure as well. Does he appear bloated? Are his eyes clear?

TheSnakeGuy

Get your receipt, your contract, and take it back to PetsMart. You have a 14 day guarantee. Tell them you still want to keep it and they will take it from you, take it to the vet, treat it, and you will get it back when it's healthy, or get a new one if things go south. It's basically a free vet visit on PetsMart. And in that time completely renew your husbandry just to be safe.

tattoofix

Thanks for the advice everyone. Well.. After a few minutes of this post he stopped like nothing happened, and hopped back into his little cubbyhole and yes, his eyes are very clear, he doesn't look bloated, just looks like pacman fat.

tattoofix

Oh and yes, I have used the dechlorinating drops on EVERY amount of water that goes into that tank. I have had a pacman before, But not one ths little.

ornate510

What kind of substrate are you using?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by tattoofix View Post
    Oh and yes, I have used the dechlorinating drops on EVERY amount of water that goes into that tank. I have had a pacman before, But not one ths little.
    Ok then this sounds like a seizure. Do you use a multivitamin supplement and calcium powder with vitamin D3? If not get both ASAP. Vitamin deficiencies can cause all kinds of issues including neurological problems that can cause them to seiz. Some can be fatal if this problem isn't corrected. Especially on one so young.

tattoofix

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Ok then this sounds like a seizure. Do you use a multivitamin supplement and calcium powder with vitamin D3? If not get both ASAP. Vitamin deficiencies can cause all kinds of issues including neurological problems that can cause them to seiz. Some can be fatal if this problem isn't corrected. Especially on one so young.
    Yes I do use that type of Calcium powder and a multivitamin powder once a week, but the problem is that he hasn't eaten since I got him. I know sometimes they don;t like to eat. I'm wondering if he doesn't like crickets. So tomorrow I'm going to go out and get him some earthworms and cut to his size and see if he eats those. Or any other suggestions to feed such a little guy?

And the Substrate I'm using is a mix of 1 Block (of the valu pack) Eco earth, with a small brick of All Living Things Tropical Soil Bedding. I do have moss at the end of the tank, But he DOES NOT get on it, It's separated a little from the habitat and just there to help keep it humid in the tank.

tattoofix

Just so everyone knows, this is his tank. It is a 20 gal.

and finally, my little man (or girl)

Nationality
    [United States]

Looks good. Do you have a screen lid?

How often do you mist?

Answer these questions and repost the answers here in your thread. http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html

tattoofix

Unfortunately no,, but I have a towel type set up to keep humidity in, things out and it keeps me from opening the noisy lid since my fiancee sleeps during the day.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by tattoofix View Post
    Unfortunately no,, but I have a towel type set up to keep humidity in, things out and it keeps me from opening the noisy lid since my fiancee sleeps during the day.
    Get a metal screen lid and cover 3/4 of the lid with plastic wrap leaving on opning where your lamp shines in. Answer the Trouble in the enclosure questions for me.

tattoofix

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Get a metal screen lid and cover 3/4 of the lid with plastic wrap leaving on opning where your lamp shines in. Answer the Trouble in the enclosure questions for me.
    1. Size of enclosure: 20gal reptile tank

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences: 1

3. Humidity: maintained between 55-70

4. Temperature: maintained at 85-76 during the day and 75-70 during the night

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish: Tap water sanitized with All living things Turtle water conditioner water drops. I had to use that till tomorrow since I was limited on money.

6. Materials used for substrate: one block of Ecoearth mixed with a small amount of All living things Rainforest Soil

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.: Included picture in previous post.

- How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    I cleaned them With HOT water, did not use any cleaning agents. they are the same plants that I used for my other frog. It's also the same tank (He did not die from natural causes, unfortunately the cats at my old house broke the tank top while I was out and ate him...)

8. Main food source: Nothing yet..

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often): I dust the crickets EVERY time I offer him one. I try rubbing the cricket on his lips so maybe some calcium gets into his mouth some how.

10. Lighting: 5.0 26w Reptiglo UVB bulb.

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure: 1 infared heat bulb (constantly) and an UTH on the side of the tank, protected by a wood log so the frog doesn't burn himself.

12. When is the last time he/she ate: 10 days ago.

13. Have you found poop lately: I don't think so, My substrate is pretty dark and I try not to disturb him much right now till he starts eating.

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine): Already included in a previous post

15. How old is the frog: Have no clue but still has a small nub at his back end.

16. How long have you owned him/her: 9 days.

17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred: I believe Captive, I'm not too positive about where petsmart gets there frogs from.

18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats: as of now he hasn't eaten. I kept offering him crickets (Powdered) but he just wouldn't eat them. So tomorrow I'm going to buy some worms and try that.

19. How often the frog is handled: only the day I bought him. He was put in the cup by the lady, then i set the cup right in the Tank so he could hop out on his own.

20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area: Pretty much. I mean I'm in my bedroom a lot but I'm not up in his face and making loud noises. But sometimes the children come in and shine a light on him.

21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc): So far, I have not cleaned it since he has just recently entered the habitat. I change between a day bulb and a red infared bulb for night. For some reason I guess because of winter, I can't keep the heat in the tank up without a bulb. I mist it two to three times a day and change water daily.

Nationality
    [United States]

20 gallon is far to large for a baby. Buy a medium critter keeper and place a UTH(Under Tank Heater) on the side thay is made for Hermit Crab enclosures. These frogs tend to become overwhelmed by large open spaces. They do best in small enclosures as babies. Cover 3 sides of the keeper witha natural background.

Temps for babies should be 80° to 82° during the day and 78° at night. Humidity needs to be 75% to 80%.

This should help.

tattoofix

Do you think I could just Move the enclouser together more? You know move everything closer together and block out one side of the tank?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information