Thread: New Albino African Clawed momma :)

Sammy

Default New Albino African Clawed momma :)

Hello everyone! I just joined this page and very happy I found it!

I have a lot of questions any help would be great! I looked on line and it seems as though every page says different things.

I just recently purchased 4 albino baby ACF. I currently have a 20 long (they are super small right now nickel size) and I am searching for a new tank that can hold them all and not have to upgrade. I need help on what I need I was looking into a 55gal put would rather have a 40L gal since its the same lenght I didnt really want the height of the 55 but if that is better for them I will go with that. Their current set up is large river rocks on the bottom, reptile moss, and a decent size tree cave thing. No filter yet wonder what is the best for them. I have been keeping the water very clean!

What chemicals would I need with the filter? I am just using dechlorinator right now. I read you need amonnia strips? Would like to keep the tank maintances as simple as possible with providing a good home for them. Also wanting to put sand on the bottom of the new tank.

They are currently on betta pellets which they seem to be eating well!

One of my poor froglets has injured his front are (I think) He is swimming in crazy circles. He is still eating though and has recently been staying on the limb of the tree where his nose sticks out of the water so he doesnt have to really move. He seems like a fighter hoping he will survive ... any tips on that? On a cute side note one of the frogs keeps going to him and staying by him almost as though he is tending to him. Do they do that?

I am wanting them to be tame and hand feed eventually so any tips that worked for you would be apperciated!

I know a lot of questions just want to make sure they are well taken care of

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New Albino African Clawed momma :)

40 gal should do just fine. Rule of thumb is 10 gal/frog but more is always appreciated. For a filer most recommend a whisper filter or something that doesn't create to much of a disturbance as these guys can sense vibrations in the water and too much going on can potentially stress them out.

For food you can also feed blood worms, or basically any pelleted aquatic turtle/frog food that is small enough to fit into their mouths. A lot of people recommend reptomin sticks, you can break them up into bite size pieces. For hand feeding nightcrawlers are great, again you can cut these into bite size pieces. But as they grow they can handle longer and longer worms, it's pretty funny to watch an adult eat a whole nightcrawler.

I've heard these frogs recover from injuries very well. If he stops eating and acts lethargic then you may want to schedule a trip to a vet. So him swimming around and eating are both good signs. Keep an eye on him. A weak frog could turn into a meal for a slightly bigger tank mate.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Sammy

Ok thanks! What lights are ok for them if any? I know I can't keep it on all the time. Today the injured frog is swimming almost normal! So I think he is on his way to a quick recovery

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    Hello everyone! I just joined this page and very happy I found it!

I have a lot of questions any help would be great! I looked on line and it seems as though every page says different things.

I just recently purchased 4 albino baby ACF. I currently have a 20 long (they are super small right now nickel size) and I am searching for a new tank that can hold them all and not have to upgrade. I need help on what I need I was looking into a 55gal put would rather have a 40L gal since its the same lenght I didnt really want the height of the 55 but if that is better for them I will go with that. Their current set up is large river rocks on the bottom, reptile moss, and a decent size tree cave thing. No filter yet wonder what is the best for them. I have been keeping the water very clean!
    40 gallon long is fine for four adult xenopus. May want to skip the reptile moss though, I don't believe it will work in an aquatic setup. For filtration use whatever suits you, I personally use a canister filter (2217 Eheim) for my frogs, I keep them in a 40 gallon breeder tank (36x18x17). I personally would use two Whisper 40i for four adult frogs if you choose a HOB filter.

What chemicals would I need with the filter? I am just using dechlorinator right now. I read you need amonnia strips? Would like to keep the tank maintances as simple as possible with providing a good home for them. Also wanting to put sand on the bottom of the new tank.
    Chemicals are bad, don't get in the habit of using them. They usually cause more harm than good. All you need is a water conditioner to remove chlorine and heavy metals that are present in tap water. I would suggest a product called "Prime", I swear by it.

Weekly maintenance should include partial water changes of about 25% replaced with water treated with Prime or a similar product. I would not bother with test strips -- these are wildly inaccurate, aside from a scientific grade water test kit I would pick up an API Freshwater Master Kit, this is a liquid test kit and this is the best bang for the buck. I would test the water weekly to assure there is no Ammonia or Nitrite in your water and the Nitrates are under 20ppm. I would also test the pH of your water to make sure it is at least neutral (7), Xenopus prefer water on the alkaline side (7-8) but 6.5 to 7.5 is fine, a stable pH is best.

They are currently on betta pellets which they seem to be eating well!
    Good that they are eating but betta pellets are probably not nutritionally complete, I would replace it with Reptomin or another high protein aquatic turtle/frog/newt pellet.

One of my poor froglets has injured his front are (I think) He is swimming in crazy circles. He is still eating though and has recently been staying on the limb of the tree where his nose sticks out of the water so he doesnt have to really move. He seems like a fighter hoping he will survive ... any tips on that? On a cute side note one of the frogs keeps going to him and staying by him almost as though he is tending to him. Do they do that?
    May be best to isolate this frog and keep him in a very clean, calm, quiet, and dark atmosphere to reduce stress. I'd put a small cave so he can hide and some floating plants so he can rest in them. Perhaps you could pick up a cheap 10 gallon tank at Walmart and separate him and do daily water changes until he recovers? They do seem to heal fast, I hope he recovers.

I am wanting them to be tame and hand feed eventually so any tips that worked for you would be apperciated!

I know a lot of questions just want to make sure they are well taken care of

Thanks
    Doesn't take long these guys will associate you with food fairly quickly. My frogs will literally start swimming to the top of the water and lunging out of the water in anticipation of me feeding them sometimes, spoiled creatures indeed.

Sammy

Awesome thank you! I will be looking for all this stuff today! I have found with craigslist and ebay you can spend a fourth of what you would at local pet stores!

Nationality
    [United States]

Awesome thank you! I will be looking for all this stuff today! I have found with craigslist and ebay you can spend a fourth of what you would at local pet stores!
    All my tanks are second hand though pet smart does run some sweet dollar per gallon sales on tanks up to 40 gallons. I would suggest a 40 gallon breeder, good dimensions for your frogs lots of space to swim.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    All my tanks are second hand though pet smart does run some sweet dollar per gallon sales on tanks up to 40 gallons. I would suggest a 40 gallon breeder, good dimensions for your frogs lots of space to swim.
    Used tanks are the best! I was just got a 20 gal used for 15bucks from a local shop =) so my ACF got an upgrade. These guys are great, when they arnt floating around bring lazy they will deff use every inch of swimming space you give em

2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

Sammy

I know! I found a 55 gallon for $30 it has no stand or lid so I was waiting to find a packaged deal but I guess I bett jump on it! I can buy a lid and put my husband to work and make him build me a stand lol.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post
    40 gal should do just fine. Rule of thumb is 10 gal/frog but more is always appreciated. For a filer most recommend a whisper filter or something that doesn't create to much of a disturbance as these guys can sense vibrations in the water and too much going on can potentially stress them out.

For food you can also feed blood worms, or basically any pelleted aquatic turtle/frog food that is small enough to fit into their mouths. A lot of people recommend reptomin sticks, you can break them up into bite size pieces. For hand feeding nightcrawlers are great, again you can cut these into bite size pieces. But as they grow they can handle longer and longer worms, it's pretty funny to watch an adult eat a whole nightcrawler.

I've heard these frogs recover from injuries very well. If he stops eating and acts lethargic then you may want to schedule a trip to a vet. So him swimming around and eating are both good signs. Keep an eye on him. A weak frog could turn into a meal for a slightly bigger tank mate.

Decent advice, but there are lots of exceptable filters out there. Do not worry about current/vibrations being a problem. That is a myth. These frogs need adaquate filtration so more is better where they are concerned.

Avoid the bloodworms. If you MUST feed that junk then used frozen/thawed only and only as a treat! There is a growing amount of evidence that bloodworms lead to bloat.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Any chance you can post a video of the "injured" frog. Could be a piece of stuck shedd/skin on his foot.
    With 4 frogletts you could do a standard 33 gallon aquarium if money is tight. Chances are some are males. Of course as said already bigger is always better.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    Decent advice, but there are lots of exceptable filters out there. Do not worry about current/vibrations being a problem. That is a myth. These frogs need adaquate filtration so more is better where they are concerned.
    That's why I said potentially stress them out. Mine loves her filter its one of her favorite places to float around is in front of it with the water pouring over her

2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

Sammy

Ok. I do have a video how do I post it? We are not tight on money but here is the dilemma.... I have a 4 year old and a 6 month old along with a 2 year old boxer who is our 3rd child lol. I have a LOVE for reptiles/amphibians and had them pretty much my whole life growing up. I had kept my last tank and everything that went with it. My husband and I were at the mall and they were selling these little guys for cheap and said you could keep them in this tiny plastic tank which I knew was not big enough but thought my 20 gal long was going to be plenty good. My husband said yes since we had everything we needed for them although he doesn't think I need extra things to take care of lol. I not only did the vendor lie about care for them but I recently found out they are dyed eeek! Please don't judge me if I would have known I would not have gotten them! Now I have to get a bigger cage, filters, water kits..... Let's just say my husband is not thrilled but since they are so cool to watch they are growing on him.

Sammy

I also noticed that one of the other frogs belly from the underneath looks lumpy almost as if you can see every pellet he has eaten.... Is that normal since he is so tiny? I'll make a video with them both in it.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post
    That's why I said potentially stress them out. Mine loves her filter its one of her favorite places to float around is in front of it with the water pouring over her

Sounds like a case of plausible deniability. Any chance you are running for congress?

Nationality
    [United States]

I've used Whisper 'Internal' filters with these frogs. The entire filter is submerged in the water, I would imagine the mechanics of the filter being under water would make them kind of noisy. Vibration and sound carries four times faster under water, I believe.

Quite often my frogs would sandwich themselves behind them to rest. If they were so harmful to frogs, why would they do that?

Now that I use a canister I usually adjust my spray bar a lot. Some times I keep it spraying against the glass and some times I let it circulate water the way it's supposed to. I'm still undecided on which is the best method, I think for water quality and my plants health circulating the water is best but the frogs -seem- a bit more lively in more stagnant conditions. What I mean by this is in my tank they have the option of retreating to an area in the back of the tank to a wild mess of plants where the is little to no current.

I notice when I flow the water against the side of the tank I wind up with spring tails on the surface of my water and planaria 'problems' (used to have water fleas, they seem to have disappeared).

I usually go 50/50 on this, I like to keep the water 'stagnant' some times so the frogs come out and swim around a bit more. They do either way but when the spray bar circulates the water they just seem to hide more often.

Either way I do a lot of water changes and my NO3 (nitrate) usually measures ~5ppm, regardless.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    Sounds like a case of plausible deniability. Any chance you are running for congress?
    No but maybe I should consider it

2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

Sammy

I couldn't find how to upload a video but I was looking online to try to diagnose the injured from because he was better but now is acting the same. He also floats on top of the water but is unbalanced. Half of him hangs further in the water. From what I read it sounds identical to a stroke. I could not find treatment for this. Do you think he will get better? Should I do a salt soak? He has been like this for 2 weeks now. He is eating and still going to the bathroom.

Nationality
    [United States]

I couldn't find how to upload a video but I was looking online to try to diagnose the injured from because he was better but now is acting the same. He also floats on top of the water but is unbalanced. Half of him hangs further in the water. From what I read it sounds identical to a stroke. I could not find treatment for this. Do you think he will get better? Should I do a salt soak? He has been like this for 2 weeks now. He is eating and still going to the bathroom.
    Really hard to diagnose without pictures or video. Strokes are pretty lethal, usually caused by poor fatty diets or being kept in warm temperatures too long.

Thread Information