Misschievou2

Default Not hungry or pooping pacman frog :(

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  53.3 KBName:  016.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  53.6 KB

Hello my fellow frog lovers! Greetings.

Prince Charming II has been not eating or defecating lately and I am really concerned. I think in my opinion I am maintaining a very nice tank. de-chlorinated water with coconut fibers. water dish/bath changed daily. Tank cleaned weekly (not that there has been any feces). The temp does not drop below 75f and no higher than 85f during the daytime. He is in a low traffic area and seems fatigued and weak. I force him to eat the flukers repta boost until I can figure out what is going wrong. I gave him a honey bath to make sure he wasn't backed up without any luck. He doesn't seem to be bloated. His eyes are clear. I don't see a huge significant complaint about his exterior. Every time I leave him a worm to eat he hops away from it or tries to hop out of his feeding bucket (I scoop him out with a fish net and put him into the bucket. No handling. Just don't want the earth worms burying into the dirt).

I'm having a hard time putting together what is wrong. I figured I'd throw out the facts and perhaps someone can help me. Maybe I missed something. I'm worried about him - I hope he is okay. Thank you for reading!

Figured I'd fill in trouble in the enclosure to help answer any questions

1. Size of enclosure - 2.5 plastic tank with partial covering on the top to keep in moisture.
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences - Just one tank for the one frog.
    3. Humidity - tropical always.
    4. Temperature - 75F at night with heater and during the day 85F.
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish - All treated with de-chlorinating drops.
    6. Materials used for substrate - coconut fibers.
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. Just a water dish. rinse off with no chemicals.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source - earth worms.
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) - I do have calcium dust but earth worms are high in calcium so I was told I didn't have to.
    10. Lighting - Yes. 12 hours.
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - The light gives heat during the day. At night the side heater provides heat.
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - I've had to use fluker's reta-boot but he hasn't eaten in two weeks.
    13. Have you found poop lately - No.
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) - I'll upload from my cellphone. probably bad quality.
    15. How old is the frog - He was born in June and it's January so 6 months old.
    16. How long have you owned him/her - I've had him for 3-4 months.
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - captive bred. Petco.
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats - For the most part I just feed him earth worms.
    19. How often the frog is handled - Usually I do not touch him. But since he hasn't eaten in 2 weeks I handle him every other day to give him the repta boost.
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - low traffic area in the corner of my room. 3 sides closed.
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) - I clean the cage once a week and I change his water dish everyday since he likes to sit in it a lot. Not lately. But. I figure he will hop in eventually.
    Last edited by Misschievou2; January 20th, 2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: I wanted to add the pictures :)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Not hungry or pooping pacman frog :(

Exactly how long has it been since he ate?

The first thing I'm noticing is that that tank is pretty small for a frog of his size. He should probably be in at least a 5 gallon, preferably a 10 gallon. Those little critter keepers are good for baby pacs, but this one looks ready for an upgrade.
    Also, what is the humidity? Tropical doesn't tell us much...

When you move him you don't need to put him in a fish net. That's probably more stressful than just washing your hands and picking him up. They shouldn't be handled often, but it won't hurt them or stress them too much to pick them up when you do cage cleaning or whatever. Also, don't put him in a separate bucket to feed. That works for some frogs, but if yours doesn't want to eat there try feeding him in the tank. He might be getting stressed out by it. Besides, accidentally eating a little coco fiber won't hurt him.

Also, feel the frog's right side. Do you feel any hard lumps? That's an indicator of impaction.

Misschievou2

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Exactly how long has it been since he ate?

The first thing I'm noticing is that that tank is pretty small for a frog of his size. He should probably be in at least a 5 gallon, preferably a 10 gallon. Those little critter keepers are good for baby pacs, but this one looks ready for an upgrade.
    Also, what is the humidity? Tropical doesn't tell us much...

When you move him you don't need to put him in a fish net. That's probably more stressful than just washing your hands and picking him up. They shouldn't be handled often, but it won't hurt them or stress them too much to pick them up when you do cage cleaning or whatever. Also, don't put him in a separate bucket to feed. That works for some frogs, but if yours doesn't want to eat there try feeding him in the tank. He might be getting stressed out by it. Besides, accidentally eating a little coco fiber won't hurt him.

Also, feel the frog's right side. Do you feel any hard lumps? That's an indicator of impaction.
    Thank you for replying.

He last ate 2 weeks ago. My problem is when I feed him in the tank the earth worms dig themselves under the coconut fiber and the frog loses them. This is why I move him to a different area. I'll wash my hands and move him to cause less stress. Also. I was curious if the frog can get "tired" of earth worms. That's a suggestion my sister made but I am not sure if that is an issue.

I'll look into a bigger cage. But do you think this is why he is sick? He seems to be sitting pretty for now. But i'll invest!

The humidity is around 80-90. Is that okay?

Just touched his right side ( both sides to make sure) and I didn't feel anything. So I guess he isn't backed up. Any other ideas? I'm fruitless.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Stop using a net to handle you frog. That is extremely stressful and you risk hurting him. Do as DV has said and just wash your hands, dry them completely, and then rerinse with dechlorinated tap water. Leave your hands wet while handling your frog.

Scoop him up from behind getting under his hind legs gently. Place the other hand slowly infront lf his face to form a sort of cup. Hold gently yet firmly meaning secure you hold around him without actually putting pressure on the frog itself. Just make sure that if he begins to escape your grasp tbat you immediately lower yourself close to the floor so that he doesn't fall far and hurt himself. In the event that he does get out and touches the floor immediately bathe him so you rinse anything off his skin. Always wash your hands after handling your frog.

Now I'm going to go out on limb and say that it is pretty cold in NY right now correct? Are there any drafts in the room where your frog is? What is the ambient air temp in your home and the room where the frog is kept?

I see your gauges are up high. They need to be be down 1" to 1.5" above the substrate for a better reading. Also give him more substrate. Enough so that he can completely burrow if he wants to. I'm going to suggest that you buy a digital temp/hygrometer combo so that you get a more accurate reading all together. Analog gauges tend to lose calibration quickly an those temp strips are not accurate at all.

Make the necessary changes and answer the questions.

Keep me posted.

Nationality
    [Canada]

90% humidity is way too high, but I agree with Grif, it feels like your gauges are off.

the size of a tank is ok for now, but he sure can use some upgrade, but after whatever is happening is fixed. and also i would put some kinda plant, not too big though, so not to take a lot of space that is tight as it is. it will create some shade/hide for him to feel more secure. more substrate will do help too.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Have you tried using feeding tongs to feed him the worms in his enclose. When I first got my pac I was taking him out to feed him every night and he got stressed out after he had his fill every time. So I made the switch to feeding in his tank and he's a much more aggressive eater. If he doesn't like the tongs maybe try putting them into his water dish?

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [United States]

You can try crickets, with the back legs removed. Those are pretty easy to get at about any pet store you go to. They can get tired of a particular food item, but I think the main issue here is that his conditions are off. Usually when my girl 'food strikes' for another type of food it doesn't last more than two or three days.

You really need a digital thermometer/hygrometer. The kind you have is VERY inaccurate. I used to use those, and when I got my digital one, I found out that the thermometer was about 10 degrees off and the hygrometer more than that.

I think your substrate is probably WAY to wet at the moment. It looks pretty water-logged in that pic, and if your hygrometer is reading 90% at the top of the tank, it's probably too wet at the bottom.

Misschievou2

I got him a 10(might be 15?) gallon tank and placed the thermometer and hygrometer closer to the bottom. I'll order a digital one online because petco did not have any digitals in stock. I attached the heater to the side opposite of the water and got him a little tunnel to hide in - but I am sure he prefers the ground better.Name:  027.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  42.6 KBName:  024.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  85.4 KB

When should I see a change in him if this new environment was his issue?

Grif - Thank you for your advice. I'll handle him carefully with my hands instead of using the net. Also. It is cold in new york but I have him placed on the opposite side of the windows. The house is usually around 78f.

Lija - Plant? perhaps. What do you think of the plastic large tube I have in the tank?

Matt - i'll try the tongs. Good idea!

Dvirginiana- It was time for a change in substrate since its Sunday today. How does the substrate consistency look in the new pictures?

Thank you guys!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Misschievou2 View Post
    I got him a 10(might be 15?) gallon tank and placed the thermometer and hygrometer closer to the bottom. I'll order a digital one online because petco did not have any digitals in stock. I attached the heater to the side opposite of the water and got him a little tunnel to hide in - but I am sure he prefers the ground better.Name:  027.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  42.6 KBName:  024.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  85.4 KB

When should I see a change in him if this new environment was his issue?

Grif - Thank you for your advice. I'll handle him carefully with my hands instead of using the net. Also. It is cold in new york but I have him placed on the opposite side of the windows. The house is usually around 78f.

Lija - Plant? perhaps. What do you think of the plastic large tube I have in the tank?

Matt - i'll try the tongs. Good idea!

Dvirginiana- It was time for a change in substrate since its Sunday today. How does the substrate consistency look in the new pictures?

Thank you guys!
    It can take anywhere from 1 hour to an entire week for them to adjust to new surroundings.

Get some sort of background on that tank ASAP.

11. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Thread Information