Thread: Half & Half tank for FBT Ideas?!

KittyKat90

Default Half & Half tank for FBT Ideas?!

I'm finally bringing my 40gl breeder tank to my new place. I'm wanting to set it up for my 5 FBT's as a Half Water, Half Land (or 1/4th Land, 3/4th water) Tank. I kinda want the filter to be in the water and I know I'm going to get a divider made. Does anyone have any idea's, link's, or a good thread that would help me out any? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

heyjude2200

Default Re: Half & Half tank for FBT Ideas?!

I did my 55 G FBT tank with 60% water & 40% land. I made a separator with a piece of acrylic which I purchased at Home Depot. It's quite easy to cut to size--just score it & hold the scored line against a square edge, like a countertop or such. Then just snap it. I secured it in position and made it water tight with aquarium safe silicon.

However, I am now in the process of redoing the whole tank. I found that they prefer the water side with stones for climbing and hiding. Also, they really made a mess with the land side--always getting the soil etc into the water. I'm redoing it and it will be all water, with a stone climbing wall and other 'islands' of stones and a fake log for a hide. They also like plants for hiding (and destroying) I started using plants without soil a while ago & found that there are several types that do well in the water alone. I root them in water, then put them directly in the tank, using some stones to hold them up in place and to protect the roots and to keep the frogs from getting tangled in the roots.

I'm close to finishing, I'll post some pics when I finish.

KittyKat90

What's the maxium water level they can have?

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Usually four to five inches is enough for the toads, as you said earlier about making a divider, you can build one by setting some large (desanitized) rocks and put hydro balls or gravel on the land portion, the next thing to do would be to put plastic mesh (can get at lowes or home depot) down and put some dirt on. I have this for most of my amphbibian setups, it looks very natural but may need some more matinence, My frogs seem to really like it (speedy) (spunky)

Good luck with your tank and toads!

KittyKat90

Does anyone know of a really good filter to use?

KittyKat90

So, I've decided on during all water with things for them to climb out of the water one... Does this sound okay?

NickHendrix007

I use the tetra internal whisperer in the one I'm building right now. It's a 10 gal long and will only have about 7-10 gallons in iy but I'm using a 20 gal filter just to be safe

Duriel

You could do something like what I did for my juvenile bullfrogs. A raised land area supported by pvc with a ramp going up. Of course, I screwed mine up and the plexiglass sides gave out, dumping dirt into their water. If you do it this way, you should make sure the plexiglass "bottom" is up against 3 sides of the tank. That's the way I'm going to redo it.

Sorry no better pics.

Thread Information