Thread: My frogs like flies, too much

fish4all

Default My frogs like flies, too much

Well I got my flies, hatched them and the frogs love them. They frogs are stuffed and there are, unfortunately, still a good 20 flies in the enclosure. To top it off I have another gut loading container with 75-125 flies filling up for a good gut load.

Major lesson learned, too many flies too quick! To those who decide to try flies, start with about 10 per frog not 25 per frog of both houseflies and Blue bottle flies. This is for Pacific tree frogs, I don't know how many larger or smaller frog might eat. And they all seem to prefer the bottle flies for some reason, I think it is size but it could also be color or something else.

Fat bellies and happy frogs but how to get the extras out of the enclosure without a mass of them all over the house or chasing frogs all over the house, or both; impossible.

Hopefully the frogs will eat the remainder of the flies and the flies in the gut load container will live 4-5 more days so I can feed them off. The bottle flies should but the houseflies, maybe.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

kmichael55

Default Re: My frogs like flies, too much

Did you order them from somewhere? I think they'd be a good size for my juvenile WTF... I hadn't previously thought of houseflies! Thanks for sharing your experience!

fish4all

Default Re: My frogs like flies, too much

Thread Information