Thread: Hi From Bethlehem, PA!

ZipsMom

Smile Hi From Bethlehem, PA!

I'm a new Red Eyed Tree Frog mom, thanks to my husband. I know he did everything all wrong. I've always loved the red eyes but never really wanted one as I've heard they are very delicate and alot of work. Well, one night in late November, he came home with one for me. Needless to say, I didn't have anything set up, didn't have much of anything. By the time he traveled home with Zippy (female), all stores were closed. The following AM I went to my local petstore, who sold me a 10 gallon setup with a few decorations. I started reading, saw the higher tanks were better for them, so returned that one and bought the Exo Terra Rainfall 18x18x24. I'm trying to keep the humidity up, have tried a failed Exo Terra waterfall which is enroute back to the online store, and just yesterday I received the Zoo Med Waterfall Kit, which I have already packed back up and am sending back. Now I'm digging around trying to figure out which item is the best for humidity, that won't have me ripping everything apart inside Zippy's cage when it malfunctions. I do have some more vines and plants (artificial) on order that should be arriving any day now. I never see her eat, except for one time--I am trying the crickets in the glass bowl but never notice any missing. But she does get up during the night and bathe in her water dish. My husband is always teasing me about naming her Zippy because she's not very active, lol. But the first night I had her when I went to get out of her container she arrived in, she was like a leaping lizard, hence her name Zip. Please dont' criticize me for not having everything set up before receiving her, she was a surprise. My husband didn't think first, just saw her and fell in love with her. This looks like a wonderful forum, and I'm sure I'll learn alot from you guys. Thanks ahead of time for the help I'm sure you'll offer me!!

deeishealthy

Default Re: Hi From Bethlehem, PA!

I have the same tank and am using the Exo Terra Monsoon with great results!

ZipsMom

Quote Originally Posted by deeishealthy View Post
    I have the same tank and am using the Exo Terra Monsoon with great results!
    Hah! Thank you!! I really want that, saw it at thatpetplace.com for $87... everywhere else was like $119... my husband keeps wanting me to get another waterfall with the fogger, but I keep seeing bad reviews on it... so thank you so much!! I think I'll win this now, lol... I'm the one that has to mess with anything with Zippy, and he doesn't realize how many times I took that waterfall out and cleaned it out because it stopped running so many times in the short time I had it set up. And it didn't do anything for the humidity...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Hi From Bethlehem, PA!

Welcome to the forum! I'm from Stroudsburg PA

ZipsMom

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I'm from Stroudsburg PA
    Thank you! My brother is up a little past you, he's in Blakeslee....
    and my husband and oldest son's names are Bruce , and my dad also, lol So parties are fun when someone yells *Hey Bruce* you get them all running!

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum!
    I have the same Exo-terra with the exception of the temperature/humidity control system.
    I have the Zoomed hygrotherm HT-10 controller and a zoomed reptifoger. With one infra red
    bulb and a ceramic heat element.
    I use about a gallon of distilled water a week or so in the fogger.
    I love the fogger. But you have to have it set up properly
    and always use distilled water.
    I think that most people that have the fogger and have problems.
    have it on top of the enclosure and don't have enough vertical length
    on the output tube. This causes large droplets of water to be ejected
    out of the tube and into the enclosure depleting the water source
    prematurely.

I love the area.
    I have a client in that area that I service that is next door to the sands.

Good luck with your new baby RETF.
    There are a lot of great people here that has lots of experience.
    Again welcome to the forum!

ZipsMom

Thanks Louis! I actually have the HT-10 in my shopping cart at thatpetplace.com along with the monsoon.... I see the reptifogger there on sale for $40 and the pictures do show it sitting ontop of the tank-- so if I would get that one, do I have to purchase additional tubing to set it up the proper way? I am not a gadget person and hate trying to figure stuff out, lol... also I don't have a ceramic heat element on mine... I was checking into new light fixtures--the one that came with this can't use over 26w bulbs--and I had a blue bulb in that was 60w and it started melting ... what I'd like is a hood that I can have a night time and daylight bulb with 2 different switches so I am not constantly burning my hand, lol... but with the sensor that may eleviate some of that.... btw, I'm on the other side of the bridge by the Sands so only like 3 minutes from there, and my best friend lives in Raleigh! I'm off to the other forums--everyone is so helpful but I get confused just because one likes one thing and another recommends something else... and petstores around here are of no help at all

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here is a picture of my set up.
    Name:  IMG_0273.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  84.4 KB
    as you can see the fogger is on the side of the enclosure,
    and I didn't have to get a extension.
    For the day lights I used 5000K bright white CFL that use only 25W but put out 60W of light.
    The infra red and ceramic emitter are in a zoomed deep dome light fixture up front.
    I placed the control head of the HT-10 on the lower left side facing up so it can detect
    the light from the day light bulbs that are on a lamp timer set from 08:30 to 17:30
    I used some sticky velcro to mount the sensor and the control head.

ZipsMom

Thank you! and very nice setups! So many decisions for one tiny creature, lol... In that past month I have tried so many things, spent so much time etc ripping them apart when they malfunctioned, packing them up, sending them back... so this time I want to be absolutely sure my purchase is going to work and not make a mess... and not make Zippy sick...

Maggie126

I have no experience with red eyed tree frogs, but I've heard they're loads of fun! I hope you enjoy your knew species, and welcome to the forum!

Thread Information