Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Locusts, YUMMY!!!!

StephenLS

Default Re: Locusts, YUMMY!!!!

I think so too I keep trying to take a decent close up photo but they always move

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They are really easy to breed. I used to have mine inside but didn't want to push it too much with my partner as i have enough Frog enclosures in side at the moment so Ive moved them out side in the garage and are on heat mats at night. Im seeing allot of egg laying so just waiting for them to hatch. Last year when they were inside they did well so time will tell with them being out side. I give mine wheat bran and a rolled oats mix. I give them fresh grass pulled out with the roots intact and they love bamboo and apple, cabbage. It has to be fresh so its an every day food replenish. They do eat allot and was worried they would eat the bamboo plants and other plants i have growing in my enclosures but they really don't get the chance to even start eating them before they are eaten them selves. If my frogs are not interested i take them out.The size when hatch-lings are about half a cm and grow to be 8cm adults. Great for all sized frogs. The colours range from bright green,yellow,a silvery colour and brown. Like most frogs the male is smaller than the female. All they do is eat and breed . If you do want to breed them let me know and I'm happy to help.

spooky

Thanks Ebony! Not sure if I'm brave enough to attempt breeding yet, although I would like to in the future (I'm worried about them escaping.. hehe)

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Yea, Ive had to chase a few around in my garage. I make sure the door is shut. If any of mine do escape they would not survive long as it would be too cold, thank goodness. My neighbour has a Hugh veggie garden and i know he wouldn't be too pleased.

spooky

Two of mine escaped yesterday!!! I had a great time chasing them around, managed to catch them eventually. Little $*&@$£%s!!!

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Lucky that the Locust is not that clever. They look quite funny when they fly and their hind legs just hang down. Im suprised they don't have brain damage the way they bash into the sides of the enclosure when they leap. Or maybe that's why mine aren't that clever.

spooky

Nah, mine are pretty thick too! They hang upside down from the terrarium roof And the noise they make when they bounce into things Silly Locusts!!

daziladi

The exotic pet store in town sells baby beetles instead of crickets, they never made a sound. Since that pet store is so far away I've been going to petco for crickets and they make such a racket and not just at night. Almost worth the drive for the beetles instead.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi daziladi, I love your aviator. What sort of beetles are they?

Kurt

Have you ever gone to Exotic Pets in Las Vegas? Go easy on the beetles, they have too much chitin.

daziladi

Thanks re: frog avatar... I "borrowed" it somewhere off the net years ago. Feel free to right click and save too <g> Just called the pet store and now they say they are actually crickets, but since only 2-4 weeks don't sing. At about 7 weeks they start to sing ... or so they say, since they said they were baby beetles instead of crickets in the first place really makes me wonder who knows what. I will go back there for crickets though, the ones at Petco are constantly singing and driving us crazy.

daziladi

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Have you ever gone to Exotic Pets in Las Vegas? Go easy on the beetles, they have too much chitin.
    Yep, its the only exotic pet store I'll go to and where I purchased Chester. I don't care if I spend $10 more than other places, its worth it. Used to get my sugar glider supplies from them years ago and they're top notch... cept' for the guy who said they carry baby beatles instead of crickets, lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information