Thread: Why dirty water kills frogs?

Entoursis

Default Why dirty water kills frogs?

Good evening.

My question is mainly related to aquatic/semi-aquatic species. Say, marsh frogs.
    It is known that, being kept in aquarium, frogs would eventually die (in 2-3 weeks max., I believe) if water is not replaced occasionally. Frogs are pooping, secreting some kind of skin excretions and turn their pool into something incongruous with living.
    My question is, what are the most crucial properties of dirty water that actually lead frog to death. I mean, exact chemicals and concentrations, as well as their source in aquarium.
    Well, as far as I know, ammonia and ammonium are the most damaging factors, deriving from excrement. Do you know any other chemicals that have chance to infest frog's aquarium in deadly amount? For example, are there any special skin excretions capable of dissolving and accumulating in water and becoming dangerous to frog's health at certain point. Are there any special poisons produced by aqua plants if one chooses to keep them in frog's tank?
    And probably, there is something in addition to ammonium(ia) in excrements...
    Also, I'm very interested in finding any numbers regarding the topic, like critical ammonia and other chems concentrations, recomended concentrations, concentration of this chemicals in natural pools/lakes the frogs live in etc. Please, let me know if you have ever found any data on this.

Thanks in advance.
    Anton

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bullfrog1986

Default Re: Why dirty water kills frogs?

I think the real question is.. does a pump/filter clean the water like we would hope it does. Does it clean and get rid of the toxins that come out of the frog? because this is something also we dont yet ask.

Entoursis

I would probably figure it out (does filter or pump helps, and how often should the water be replaced), coz I have good probability to measure everything in a lab, if I knew all the stuff I should look for. And in addition, I'll need some data regarding the critical concentration of the chems, because measuring the pollution size and speed of it's increase won't be enough to say how often water is to be switched. Without this info I would probably be forced to use the concentrations of natural ponds as supremum, which is most likely far from critical.

bullfrog1986

Im thinking of making a 50/50 with a filter but it does make me wonder the question of does the water ever really need to be replaced? or can the filter work at max to ensure the water is always clean enough to never be changed.. something that needs more research. It would be nice to think a filter could do this however Im still unsure. thanks

ejh805

With how much of a mess pixie frogs make, youre going to need a filter and youre going to need to change out the water at least weekly. The filter will help but it won't do all the work.

i'm not really understanding the question properly, but i interpret this as you are looking for the concentration of ammonia that would kill the frogs for what purpose? to hold off in changing the water until it reaches near critical levels? easier to just stick to a routine of changing water on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

i have yet to run across any aquatic plant that releases toxins into the water column, so no need for worry there.

and a filter would not keep the water supply clean and perfect indefinitely. minerals are used up constantly from the water and need to be replenished. water changes are not just about keeping clean water.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri