Thread: False Bottom and PacMan Frog?

CheerfulMelody

Default False Bottom and PacMan Frog?

I am interested in getting a pacman frog and saw another member post that they were wanting to do a false bottom with their pacman and someone saying it was ok. My question is if you make a false bottom for a pacman could you put the heater under the tank like you would for a reptile rather than on the side like you would for a burrowing amphibian such as a pacman frog? Since the frog would not be able to burrow all the way to the heatsouce it should be ok right? Or could it cause cracking issues if you ever happened to over water? I am a little funny when it comes to having to see the equipment that while needed is usually a little unsightly. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: False Bottom and PacMan Frog?

I never thought about trying that, but with my stetup I have about 1in-2in layer of hydroponic clay balls covered by coco fiber panels. I never let the water touch the panels. Now for putting the heat pad under the tank, I think it would depend on how hot the heat pad gets. The one I'm using doesn't get that hot , but good enough for being on the side of the tank. I dont think it would heat the tank good enough being at the bottom. If the heat pad is at the bottom the water would heat up correct?? I think its worth a try, but be careful you don't want it to get to hot.

HerpDerp

I am speaking from experience when I say, putting the heat pad on the bottom is a bad idea. My 10g quarantine tank has a nice crack on the bottom from doing this. I don't even have a false bottom either and it managed to crack. The glass just can't hold up to water hitting it when it's hot like that.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Michelle is right. DO NOT ever place the UTH on the bottom of the enclosure even with a false bottom. It actually would be nearly useless anyway because the heat would have more to travel through and not actually warm the enclosure at all. You don't want the frog to burrow into warm substrate anyway because when they burrow it is to not only hide, but to cool themselves. This is how they thermoregulate their body temp.

Place the UTH on the side.

CheerfulMelody

Thats what I thought. Just wanted to make sure though. How many degrees does the uth on the side usually raise the temp of the enclosure? My office has only outside walls to put tanks on and I'm concerned it will not make it warm enough for them.

Nationality
    [United States]

I use a hermit crab heat pad. It raises the temp about 2-3 degrees. Now would an aquarium heater work with a false bottom? I know you dont want alot of wattage, but a 25 watt could work.

Quote Originally Posted by aGreenCup View Post
    I use a hermit crab heat pad. It raises the temp about 2-3 degrees. Now would an aquarium heater work with a false bottom? I know you dont want alot of wattage, but a 25 watt could work.
    an aquarium heater would work on a false bottom tank set up, but unfortunately, not with a pacman. like Grif stated, they burrow to cool off, and heating the water underneath the false bottom would negate that.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri