Thread: Possibly stupid question about gut loading crickets

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Possibly stupid question about gut loading crickets

I currently gut load crickets with a variety of things, Flukers cricket diet, Flukers cricket quencher, and the various fruits and veggies that I also feed the beardie (carrots, apples, greens etc). The frogs and the beardie eat the same crickets. Would it be okay to use the dry bearded dragon pellets to gut load the crickets. I would assume that it wouldn't matter for the dragon because it's a food made for him but do you think it would do any harm to the frogs to eat crickets that ate pellets meant for another animal. I know some people feed their crickets with cat food. I've also read that that isn't a good idea.

I would still give the crickets all the other food I normally do but just add this in. I ask because the beardie doesn't really eat it and I have a whole bottle of it!
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pluke

Default Re: Possibly stupid question about gut loading crickets

Ehh, I don't think giving them bearded dragon pellets would be bad. I don't know for a fact though. I give my crickets lettuce, carrots, apples, oranges, strawberries.. usually whatever I have left over from myself. I give them crushed purina cat chow too and the frogs that eat these crickets (my tomato frogs) are some of the best tomato frogs I've seen, IMO. The pellets would -probably- be fine. Your animals eat what your crickets eat, essentially. If your dragons eat the pellets then your dragons can eat crickets that eat them.

JMDaniels

I think you'll be alright. As you said, there are a lot of people who feed their crickets all kinds of things including cat food, dog food, fish flakes, and even chicken feed. Frogs and bearded dragons have very similar diets in nature. Obviously I cannot see the ingredients that make up your beardie's dry pellets, but assuming that none of them are toxic, it is probably safe. You could probably google search each of the individual ingredients if you want to be 100% sure.

If the bearded dragon food is safe to feed your dragons, then it's safe to feed the crickets... the beardie is going to eat the pellets either way.

A variety of gut load foods offered can make your feeder insects more well rounded and nutritious, so never be afraid to offer a variety of foods to your insects. I also like using the Repashy Bug Burger - it's a pretty cost effective food source that you can make into a gel. All my insects (worms, crickets, roaches) love the stuff!

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Co, Inc - Your one stop herp shops!
    "Like" us on Facebook for coupons, sales, and updates! - http://www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    Sign up for Reptile Times, a totally FREE e-zine dedicated entirely to reptiles and amphibians!
    http://list.lllreptile.com/?p=subscribe&id=1

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Thanks for the replies. I figured it would be okay, I just wanted to make sure the crickets would be okay for the frogs. I'm still a nervous mommy when it comes to feeding them
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

reptilia5

I gut load my crickets with tropical flake fish food mixed with both Exo-Terra calcium and Repti-vite. I use peeled strawberry,apple,grape,carrot,orange or potato as a moisture source. I also add in a piece of cooked chicken or any cooked lean meat to add protein to the diet and prevent cannibalism.

Thread Information