Thread: New to Fire Bellied Toads!

emfroggy

Lightbulb New to Fire Bellied Toads!

Hi this summer i'm thinking about getting some fire bellied toads. I had frogs in the past but never frogs from a pet store or fire bellied toads. I caught in my creek by my house a bullfrog and some American toads. Now i'm saving up some money to buy a couple of fire bellied toads. Right now I have a 20 gallon long fish tank with fish in it. So, that's why I have to wait until they die or until I can some how get rid of them. I also have 1 brick left of substrate, so I have to buy more of that. I have some fake plants and a hiding place for the toads. I also have a floating platform for water. Is there anything else I should buy? Also should I buy a heater if I put them in my underground basement? Also How many should I start out with in a 20 gallon long? I know you can keep up to 3-5 (I think) in a 10 gallon. Right now I have saved up to $80-$85 so far. I also have some water purifiers or what ever their called that make the water safe for reptiles. I also have a screened lid and 2 lighting fixtures from the aquatic turtle startup kit. Another ques. my dad worries about them jumping out of the cage, will fire bellied toads be able to jump that high with a screened lid on? I don't think they will but just to be safe i'm asking. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New to Fire Bellied Toads!

You can keep 5 or 6 in a 20 long. ( but I would only keep as many as you can afford to feed) As far as them jumping out, probably not, but they will climb. I have clips on my screen cover just to be on the safe side. If you are going to have them in the basement, you will probably need a heater. I have never used a heater, but mine are in my livingroom and it stays about 74 degrees. They are fun to watch and will give you hours of enjoyment.

Thread Information