Thread: plants suitable for A. Bullfrog?

Lina

Question plants suitable for A. Bullfrog?

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and first I have to say that this seems to be a great forum for frog enthusiasts! Yesterday I bought my first frog, an African Bullfrog, which I call Karybdis. I keep it in a glass aquarium, size 60*30*30 cm, on coconut fiber. Now I have a few questions I hope you can help me with.

I would like to add some plants to the aquarium and I'm not so fond of artificial ones so my question is: which live plants are safe to use? I will of course avoid the ones that are obviously poisonous or have thornes, but perhaps there are some other plants you should be careful with? Would species of the genera Peperomia, Philodendron and Pinguicula work? I guess orchids will be okay?

I have understood that an AB can dig a lot so I will keep the plants in pots. Can the soil (it's fertilized) be poisonous for the frog? Is it safe to use a fertilizer in the water for the plants?

Perhaps not so few questions in the end, but I hope you have the time to help me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bullfrog1986

Default Re: plants suitable for A. Bullfrog?

hmm.. maybe orchid or something like that?

ejh805

NEVER use soil with fertilizer in it for your frog.

I think you will have trouble with orchids. They are fairly fragile to grow, and need very strict growing conditions to thrive. Also when you new guy/girl gets all happy and decides to jump all over, your orchid(s) will not be happy with this at all. I would go with something that needs low lighting, is hardy, and can handle your frog taking either love or aggression out on it. A separate pot will be needed as well, because they will just dig up rooted plants (edit, i see you plan on doing this) . Like Emily said above, no fertilizer should be used.

Philodendron looks like it may work out. It calls for light shade. Just ignore the fertilizing part.

Pinguicula I personally own one of these, and couldn't imagine it working in my ABF's enclosure. I also own a VFT ,(venfus fly trap) Sundew - Drosera filiformis, pitcher plant (forget which one but it's part of the sarraceniaceae family), and butterwort. I could not imagine any of these making it with mine.

ikissedafrog

I have pothos growing like mad in my pixies enclosure and some tarantula enclosures too. They're super adaptable to light, soil, water, everything...at least they seem to be for me. I just had to cut them all back today (using the cuttings to root new plants, lol). I had tried some cute little ferns and some other frilly plant, but they not only got stomped by my frog, but they were just too demanding to deal with in a frog tank...

Lina

Thank you all for helping me! I'll start with a Philodendron I have at home and skip fertilizers. I think it'll fill out the space nicely. My mother have a potho at home which I can get cuttings from. Love them!

Janice

You should not use potting soil with fertilizer for your substrate. coconut fiber and some repti bark and maybe some organic potting soil.

Thread Information