Thread: After eating.

NewFrogDude

Default After eating.

My frog usually goes and burrows under but today he has been doing laps in his tank. He is also clawing at the glass trying to get out. I have fed him 6 crickets and about 10 night crawlers in the last 2 weeks and no poop yet as well. He seems happy and his appetite is still ferocious as ever. Today just confounds me as to why he is raging in his tank like this lol.

10g tank
    just him
    82 at day
    75-78 at night
    ~80% humidity, give or take if his lamp is on, then it drops to 60 and when it goes off shoots right back to 80 or so.
    coco fiber substrate

First meal was 6 crickets and a night crawler, second was 3 night crawlers, third was 3 night crawlers and tonight was 4 night crawlers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: After eating.

Sometimes they just do that. I mean, there's definitely something in his environment freaking him out, but sometimes it's something we can't sense. All your parameters seem alright. Best thing would be to leave him alone and check on him in a few hours (or in the morning). If he's still acting nuts after a long time then let us know.

How old is he? For an adult, two weeks can be a normal time between poos depending on the frog (still on the long side though). It's a really long time for a baby/juvenile though. If you're worried, feel gently on his right side. If you can feel a hard lump, then that's a sign he needs to go. Make a luke-warm (between 75-80 degrees) water bath for him and put several drops of honey in it. Leave him in there till it starts to cool. That'll probably get him to go.

NewFrogDude

Yeah, I did that, no lump felt though he is full lol. I just checked on him and he is just sitting there looking out of the tank .. not burrowed or anything, but he is calm.

Update now that I am in bed he has started to scratch at the glass of his tank again. Should I be concerned a out this behavior or is he just being an attention whore?
    Last edited by NewFrogDude; January 16th, 2013 at 02:10 AM.

frogsanity12

Definitely try soaking him in water as DVirginiana says...I noticed in your description you left out a water dish. Is there one in there?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They do this occationally. He may have pooped and buried it so keep an eye out, but there could be something irritating him or he is just restless. It is nearing breeding season and some will become restless like this because of the changes in barametric pressure. Especially if a storm is coming.

NewFrogDude

I've isolated the issue i think. I have a home-made humidifier in the tank and for some reason the temp around it was 107! I have no idea how that happened. I can only surmise that the coco fiber acted as in insulator and caused the heat to rise like that. I am working on a new, albeit similar, method of humidifying his tank. I will toss the substrate around and see if I can find a poop somewhere, though I have yet to see one and he usually burrows in different places. So I am constantly digging up substrate in different areas of his tank and I have yet to smell anything either. I ended up feeding him more last night as he was still hungry and I thought maybe that was the issue. He ate an additional 6 red wigglers (small worms about 1.5 to 2.0" in length and about as thick as a spaghetti noodle.

Thread Information