Thread: Help Pacific Tree (Chorus) Frog Threw up Stomach

tjmwheeler

Default Help Pacific Tree (Chorus) Frog Threw up Stomach

My Daughter rescued a tree frog from some mean kids this summer and we have been caring for it ever since with no issue. Last night she came screaming out of her room because there was something sticking out of her frogs mouth. From what I gathered it appears he has thrown up his stomach and this happens sometimes. He was fine last night still moving around (although he never really moved around much when I was looking), and no loss of color. Today he still hasn't swallowed his stomach and he looks a little paler than normal, I am not sure if he is lethargic or not, he has been in various locations of his space all day. I have read I should push it back in and I have read I shouldn't push it back in. We have cleaned the cage but we do that every couple of days any way. I don't want to do anything that will make things worse. I have a frantic 9 year old who's heart I really don't want to break. Any help is appreciated greatly. I took some pictures, he is a little paler than it looks. Is it too late for my frog, I was under the impression that they usually swallowed their stomach within a couple of minutes. What is the longest time a frog can be like this and not die???Name:  580577_10151169536625951_1570172120_n.jpg
Views: 2799
Size:  65.7 KBName:  frog1.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  59.7 KBName:  frog2.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  63.6 KBName:  frog3.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  46.8 KBName:  frog4.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  59.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help Pacific Tree (Chorus) Frog Threw up Stomach

Oof. Hopefully someone will respond who has a better idea about this than I do. Speaking from my limited knowledge, you should probably insure that the stomach remains quite moist. Ideally you'd use an amphibian ringers solution for that, but in this case you might as well try water. Hopefully he would swallow it again, but this is quite curious. Usually prolapses are rectal, not oral.

Best of Luck!
    ~Alex

Robby Cash

Found this on yahoo, I hope its helpful and hope the lil guy is ok.

----A frog will vomit it's stomach up if it ate something bad or ate too much. It's natural and it will swallow it stomach once the contance it didn't want in it are pushed out..usually by it's front hands. Gross but it can save it's life and prevent the frog from becoming sick or impacked.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070528134359AAlgUyU

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found this one on wiki answers for ya

----It was discovered on a space mission that a frog can throw up. The frog throws up its stomach first, so the stomach is dangling out of its mouth. The frog then uses its forearms to dig out all of the stomach's contents and then swallows the stomach back down

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_frogs_vomit

Sorry, I don't know much about this but it's called a 'gastric prolapse' so you can try googling this more specific term.

Without any other info, I would move it to a sterile and humid quarantine tank and get it to an exotic vet asap.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Awe . I agree, if it doesn't retract back in soon I think he'll need a vet. A volvulus or the stomach sliding up through itself if there too long can lose circulation. A qualified vet can carefully slide it back through itself. Caution should be taken to not twist it. Keep him moist. It would be wise to not feed him for at least 24 hours of having the stomach put back in to allow the swelling to decrease. You can soak him though.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

NatureLady

I am of no help here, but OH>MY>GOODNESS!!! Hope it makes it and I hope your daughter is ok too.

tjmwheeler

i spoke to an exotic vet that told me that it can take a couple of days for him to take his stomach back in, he told me if he is still moving around and active he should be fine if I keep him wet. I made an appointment for Friday. It seems odd but its the vet the zoo suggested. Still think I will try to find someone else. It doesn't seem right.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

How's he doing today?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information