Thread: WTF feeding questions

Cylifornia

Talking WTF feeding questions

I don't yet have a frog but I'm preparing for one because after I get all its supplies I am going to buy one. So to start with I just want 1 so I can get the hang of it, then I might buy another, its be awesome if an experienced owner could enlighten me.

-What should I feed my WTF? Which diet do you suggest?

-Do I have to buy calcium powder stuff?

-Is it necessary to gut-load if they are calcium sprinkled?

-If for 1 feeding I just give him crickets, how many crickets?

Also, When I go out and buy crickets I intend to bring a cricket box with me. so lets say I walk into the store blah blah blah buy the crickets, put them in the box, close box blah blah, get home blah. when it comes time to feed the frog the crickets, how do I somehow manage to open the box, grab desired amount of crickets, put them in the terrarium, close the terrarium and th ebug box without any of them escaping? is there a trick to it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KimW

Default Re: WTF feeding questions

I am by no means a frog expert, however, my experience is as follows:I feed my crickets a high calcium diet, both the sources I get my crickets from also feed them this diet, and I have never had to dust the crickets. My frog has thrived on them without any additional supplement. I have a cricket keeper which is simply a small plastic tank with a lid (I had a beta fish in it at one time).I keep small pieces of cardboad egg crate, or toilet paper tubes in there. You get your crickets from wherever, and dump them in when you get home. Provide the crickets with a good high calcium diet. I use flukers diet and quencher. I just pick up one of the cardboard pieces (the crickets hang out on/in them) and capture the crickets this way. Crickets will escape no matter what. You will get good at catching them. My cats have become expert cricket catchers too, unfortunately.

Nationality
    [United States]

No matter what you do crickets will escape they are terrible little critters but the frogs just love em so much =p

I would recommend using a calcium and multivitamin powder to dust feeders even if gut loading. More often for growing young frogs than adults. Most of these supplements have dosage instructions on the side. And even if you dust them they still need to be gut loaded. Crickets arnt very nutritious on their own. You'll want to also look into ways to vary the diet, there are various worms, roaches, etc available. I believe wtfs can even eat occasional pinkie mice once they get some size to em. Feed young frogs daily and as they get closer to adult size start cutting them back to every other day to every 2 days. Feed them what they can eat through in 10-15 minutes, I've read that the wtfs are notorious over eaters. I've never owed one these (but plan on it in the near future) so these are kind of generic frog feeding tips, some one with more experience with them might be able to give some species specific advice.
    Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Cylifornia

ok so, how do you feed the crickets? just put the gel stuff in the bug holder and they'll eat as much as they need? then i feed them to thefrog and i get a happy froggy?

Nationality
    [United States]

Basically =) I would give the crickets fresh fruits&veggies also. You can basically give them the scrap pieces of what you cook for yourself. Potato and apple peels stuff like that. You might want to look I to dubia roaches. They are much easier to deal with than crickets, because they don't jump or smell bad =) but you can't just run down to your average pet store and pick some up. You can order them online or pick them up from a reptile show

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

KimW

I feed my crickets both flukers "diet" which is their main source of food and contains a high concentration of calcium and vit/min (so they are more nutritious for your frog) and flukers "quencher" which is easier than trying to keep water in the cricket keeper, and is an additonal source of calcium. As I said, my frog has done well with this for almost three years, but the above suggestions of a varied diet (for frog and crickets), and dusting along with gut loading sounds like good advice.

Thread Information