View Poll Results: Of those that keep Litoria caerulea, White's treefrog, which of the following best describes you?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love White's and have no intention of ever getting any other kind of frog.

1 6.67%
  • I only keep White's right now, but want other kinds of frogs as well.

7 46.67%
  • I keep White's as well as other frogs.

7 46.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White's treefrog owners

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: White's treefrog owners

I want to get some whites I've got pacman frogs right now albino and samurai blue peppermint . I've already got my 100 gallon that I'm going to put on it's side so it's 4ft tall I'm going to get a door to put on it

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Nice, Pacou, the frogs should like the height. I have no idea what to answer, since I don't plan on owning any other frogs for the forseeable future, but I wouldn't mind keeping toads, milkies, gray tree frogs, or even blue dart frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok I really just want them to be happy with there home when I get them

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    Nationality
    [Canada]

I'm voting first.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Don't remember if I ever commented here but I'd vote #2 I had other frogs before White's (but have wanted White's for a LONG time!) but in the future I would like to add Milkys and Mossys, then I'm done
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hey guys do whites tree frog shed because Mine had dirt on it and i pulled it off but it was just dirty loose skin that was really thin and clear. Also if so Should i pull it off or let it fall off?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hey guys do whites tree frog shed because Mine had dirt on it and i pulled it off but it was just dirty loose skin that was really thin and clear. Also if so Should i pull it off or let it fall off? I really dont know and if this was already posted sorry.

Nationality
    [United States]

Does anyone know what I can use to treat a bacterial infection in my frog. I read online metronidazole can help and I happen to have that. How many mg should I put in a small water dish for bathing treatment? My whites is not looking good so I am kind of at my last option here. Anyway you guys can help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

dont know but i think it woould be helpful because mine recently survived one and i want to know how to treat it without hundred dollar vet visits

Hey guys, i have a white named king plum and he's recently escaped. I dont know when but it was between now and yesterday. Should i be worried? He's escaped before but this his longest yet. Im leaving water out but how long can he go with no food?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Singapore]

I am going to keep white tree frog .... Than how many time to feed the white tree frog per day

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You'd probably get better results if you asked the question in the main part of the tree frogs section, but it's good to feed the frog once every 2-3 days.

14. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [Singapore]

Default Re: White's treefrog keeping

white tree frog need lighting... because i am stay in singapore still can keep the white tree frog ..... because i am buying very soon

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

There have been studies that suggest a UVB light helps some frog's bones. Also if you have plants you might need a grow light for your plants.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Plants? ok this is something my dad was suggesting but we dont know what plants to put in. do you have a suggestion elly?and/or a grow light suggestion?

Hello,

I have a White's tree frog named Poe. I've had him for around 3 years, but have absolutely no idea how old he was when I got him.

I'm looking for some advice. For the last 3 weeks I noticed that he sits in the same spot on top of a log hide, which isn't much bigger than he is. He goes to soak in his water dish, but he hasn't climbed in about 3 weeks. His favorite spot was always a ledge towards the top of the tank.

I have lots of stuff for him to climb on, I'm just not sure if he can anymore. Does this species stop climbing and perfer to stay low as they age?

What I'd like to get an opinion on is if I should get a wider cage so he has more floor space? I usually go for height over width, but if he can't climb anymore...

His current set up is an exo-terra tank.
    Length- 12 inches
    Width- 12 inches
    Height- 18 inches

Heat comes from a UTH on the back of the tank. The tank stays around 80°F during the day and drops to 75°F at night.

Humidity I keep at 60%.

I do use a UVB bulb that is on during the day. He seemed to always like having it on.

He is hand fed Dubai roaches. The hand feeding part is kind of a long story.

Like I said in the beginning I have no idea how old he is, I've had him for 3 years. I don't think he had a very nice home before I got him. But that's a long story (directly related to the hand feeding).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi Kaylalane,

I'll start with the tank. Beautiful setup, but for a frog this big I would have recommended a minimum of the 18x18x24 tall Exo-terra. These guys are big jumpers and climbers and need the space. He just does not have enough space in a setup the size he is in to exercise his muscles properly. Also your guy (or girl, looks female to me, have you heard him croak?) is on the porky side... kind of like me, lol... and so it's going to be harder for him to get around. How often and how much do you feed him? Might want to mix it up a bit and give him some good gut loaded crickets alternating with the dubia. Maybe try feeding less but more often, like 2-3 medium crickets every other day then a couple dubia the next time around. Do you dust his food with vitamin powder and calcium with D?

I'd love to hear the hand feeding story. I have a problem child White's who refuses to eat at all unless I hand feed him.

Quote Originally Posted by kaylalane View Post
    Hello,

I have a White's tree frog named Poe. I've had him for around 3 years, but have absolutely no idea how old he was when I got him.

I'm looking for some advice. For the last 3 weeks I noticed that he sits in the same spot on top of a log hide, which isn't much bigger than he is. He goes to soak in his water dish, but he hasn't climbed in about 3 weeks. His favorite spot was always a ledge towards the top of the tank.

I have lots of stuff for him to climb on, I'm just not sure if he can anymore. Does this species stop climbing and perfer to stay low as they age?

What I'd like to get an opinion on is if I should get a wider cage so he has more floor space? I usually go for height over width, but if he can't climb anymore...

His current set up is an exo-terra tank.
    Length- 12 inches
    Width- 12 inches
    Height- 18 inches..........

Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

20. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Hi Kaylalane,

I'll start with the tank. Beautiful setup, but for a frog this big I would have recommended a minimum of the 18x18x24 tall Exo-terra. These guys are big jumpers and climbers and need the space. He just does not have enough space in a setup the size he is in to exercise his muscles properly. Also your guy (or girl, looks female to me, have you heard him croak?) is on the porky side... kind of like me, lol... and so it's going to be harder for him to get around. How often and how much do you feed him? Might want to mix it up a bit and give him some good gut loaded crickets alternating with the dubia. Maybe try feeding less but more often, like 2-3 medium crickets every other day then a couple dubia the next time around. Do you dust his food with vitamin powder and calcium with D?

I'd love to hear the hand feeding story. I have a problem child White's who refuses to eat at all unless I hand feed him.

I've not heard him croak, he does sometimes make a croakish noise when I walk past and he wants food.

He is on a diet. Lol! He gets 2 med Dubai's 3 to 4 times a week. They are dusted with calcium D and I also gut load them for at least a week before feeding them.

As for the hand feeding...
    To start I live in Northern California (definitely not a native place for one of these guys). My sister's dog was out back and stated barking like crazy. I went out to see what the problem was and found the dog jumping at the fence. Towards the top of the fence, just out of reach of the dog (thanks goodness) was this decrepit looking frog. I honestly thought at first that it was dead. Super skinny, dehydrated, cold (it was October). Once I realized it was still alive I took it in the house. I had to hand feed and use a syringe to give water because he was so weak. I quickly realized it was not a native frog. I put up found flyers trying to find it's owner thinking that maybe it escaped. Now I'm pretty sure someone just decided they didn't want it anymore and released it in the wild. Slowly he got better, but no matter how hard I tried to get him to do it he won't eat unless he's being hand fed. Luckily he does drink on his own. I fell in love with him and decided to keep him. I made sure to be 100% positive he wasn't a wild frog before deciding to keep him. Everyone I talked to said it was impossible for him to survive in the wild in Northern California.

3 years later and I still love him as much as in the beginning.

I'll get him a bigger tank and see if that helps.

22. This member thanks kaylalane for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Lol! Sounds like my girls. I have some fattys, one in particular named Leapin' Loo, who will do the same thing at me if she thinks it's feeding time-- and she always thinks it's feeding time so I'm pretty convinced your boy is a girl!

That is an AWESOME frog save. No one would guess that your little tub-o'-love would have been able to survive Nor Cal in Oct. Tough baby! She is very lucky you found her

My boy came to me from Petco infested with parasites, then later went through preventative treatment for chytrid. The medications were hard on him and he stopped eating, so I had to compel him to eat by pestering him with a cricket until he opened his mouth. I tried syringe feeding him Reptaboost, but I have carpal really bad and was afraid I'd hurt him. He survived everything, luckily, but to this day refuses to eat crickets, or anything else, unless I go thru the thing with the hand feeding. He gives me trouble just about every time: from swatting the cricket, to grabbing it and shoving it away, to kicking me, or making a squawk that sounds a heckuva lot like "NO!", he'll also jump on me, or on my face, or occasionally pee on me if he's really mad-- but what's funny is, when I go to put him back in his house he refuses to leave my hand! He'll sit there sometimes and fall asleep, and once he even trusted me enough to stay on my hand while he shed. The little brat is my fav, needless to say, lol.

Oh almost forgot to add this... frogs drink from their butts :P They literally have what's called a drink patch in their groin area between their stomach and hind legs, so all they need to do to drink is have a good soak. Your froggy did just fine though!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

24. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Lol! Sounds like my girls. I have some fattys, one in particular named Leapin' Loo, who will do the same thing at me if she thinks it's feeding time-- and she always thinks it's feeding time so I'm pretty convinced your boy is a girl!

That is an AWESOME frog save. No one would guess that your little tub-o'-love would have been able to survive Nor Cal in Oct. Tough baby! She is very lucky you found her

My boy came to me from Petco infested with parasites, then later went through preventative treatment for chytrid. The medications were hard on him and he stopped eating, so I had to compel him to eat by pestering him with a cricket until he opened his mouth. I tried syringe feeding him Reptaboost, but I have carpal really bad and was afraid I'd hurt him. He survived everything, luckily, but to this day refuses to eat crickets, or anything else, unless I go thru the thing with the hand feeding. He gives me trouble just about every time: from swatting the cricket, to grabbing it and shoving it away, to kicking me, or making a squawk that sounds a heckuva lot like "NO!", he'll also jump on me, or on my face, or occasionally pee on me if he's really mad-- but what's funny is, when I go to put him back in his house he refuses to leave my hand! He'll sit there sometimes and fall asleep, and once he even trusted me enough to stay on my hand while he shed. The little brat is my fav, needless to say, lol.

Oh almost forgot to add this... frogs drink from their butts [emoji14] They literally have what's called a drink patch in their groin area between their stomach and hind legs, so all they need to do to drink is have a good soak. Your froggy did just fine though!
    Wow, that sucks. I'm glad your little one made it.

I didn't know that about the water pouch, that's really cool. I feel like I learn something new about these guys all the time.

Have you tried feeding Dubai roaches? My boy/girl prefers them over crickets. He/she puts up a fight when I try to give him crickets, but he willingly takes the roaches. Plus I love that they don't make noise and don't smell (serious bonus, lol)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information