Thread: Can't seem to find any fecal matter in Hugo and Herme's tank?

Amber Gyore

Default Can't seem to find any fecal matter in Hugo and Herme's tank?

I have been checking every day to make sure there is no dead crickets or toad poop floating around in the water, or sitting around on the land portion or plant areas of my tank. I've had the toads for three days now and still have not found any poop.

My toads are eating regularly and are still fairly active. Hugo has regained his vibrant green colour, whereas Hermes is still a dark green (But I'm beginning to think that may just be a normal colour for him, plus I think he is trying to blend in with the tank environment. He is the skittish one, and doesn't care much for me, however Hugo doesn't seem to mind my presence.)

I do have a filter running in the water. Could it be the water filter is scooping up the poop before I can find it? Or does it just take them a couple days to actually pass out their food. Neither of them seem bloated, and as I said, they continue to eat. Are they not defecating because they are stressed or are still getting used to their new environment?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Amber Gyore

Default Re: Can't seem to find any fecal matter in Hugo and Herme's tank?

Also, currently my tank has black gravel under the water. I plan on switching it to white gravel. Will this encourage my toads to go back to their bright green colour?

Nationality
    [United States]

Poop usually sinks in between the rocks at the bottom of the water, I use a big plastic syringe to suck it up out of the cracks

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Pezoneden

ya i rarely see poop unless they do it on land which is also rare it usually just gets mixed up with the substrate in the water so i clean my water very often.

Amber Gyore

I try to do partial cleaning every other day. I make sure to clean the water up and change it out once it starts looking murky. (I have an aquatic plant that I think makes the water look dark) I don't think the plant water is an issue, but I'd rather not risk it. I also use a fish net and scoop up any floating content off the top of the water daily.

Murray of the Deep

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gyore View Post
    I try to do partial cleaning every other day. I make sure to clean the water up and change it out once it starts looking murky. (I have an aquatic plant that I think makes the water look dark) I don't think the plant water is an issue, but I'd rather not risk it. I also use a fish net and scoop up any floating content off the top of the water daily.
    have you tried honey soaking?? it works on impaction.
    ~jerome

Pezoneden

maybe they are stressed out seems like ur always in the cage doing something. maybe take a few days off see what happens. or you could even possibly quarantine the one toad in a secluded quite part of your house to lower stress levels

Thread Information