Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Build 35 Gallon Exoterra (pic heavy)

Default Re: New Build 35 Gallon Exoterra (pic heavy)

Name:  PART_1358215379946.jpeg
Views: 206
Size:  16.2 KB

The first foaming for the waterfall and creek. The foam will be cut down, and rocks will be glued in place for the creek. I smashed the foam down, with my fingers, when it was halfway dried, to give it a natural rock look.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

NatureLady

Looks nice. Can't wait to see this build finish up, looks like you are well on your way.

One question (I always have one seems), Is that pond GS? I hear it is a bit different to work with then the regular GS and would have loved to get my hands on some, but small town America doesn't carry it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Looks great, very interested to see it all finished.

Quote Originally Posted by NatureLady View Post
    Looks nice. Can't wait to see this build finish up, looks like you are well on your way.

One question (I always have one seems), Is that pond GS? I hear it is a bit different to work with then the regular GS and would have loved to get my hands on some, but small town America doesn't carry it.
    It's not GS.

NatureLady

ooooooKay. So do you want to tell what it is? You had said it was expanding foam...

ooooooKay. So do you want to tell what it is? You had said it was expanding foam...
    just aquarium sealant for the pond with plexi glass walls.

NatureLady

I stand corrected...what is that you are using for your *STREAM* (the black stuff)

I stand corrected...what is that you are using for your *STREAM* (the black stuff)
    This was a mistake on my part, I must of read the question wrong. I'm sorry you got offended. The foam is a generic brand of polyurethane. I assumed you meant GE Silicone or Great Stuff as a "GS" acronym. My fault again and my comments were not intended to offend you. I was actually pretty busy today, but wanted to respond, so I did in short. =(

NatureLady

Thanks for explaining, it was a simple misunderstanding (on both of our parts). By saying that you smashed the foam it gave me an idea in my build and it work wonderfully, so for that thanks. I didn't take these thread replies as you being rude btw.

11. This member thanks NatureLady for this post:

Thanks for explaining, it was a simple misunderstanding (on both of our parts). By saying that you smashed the foam it gave me an idea in my build and it work wonderfully, so for that thanks. I didn't take these thread replies as you being rude btw.
    Maybe you can PM me and tell me... I'm naturally very blunt, not everyone agrees, and some people love it. I speak with the best intentions though, I hope to hear from you. If everyone thought the same as me, spoke the same as me, and did not disagree with me, I would personally be amazed. I thank you.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Okay so I was also interested in your stream, is that foam water tight? Did you have to seal it? Also until this thread I was unaware GS made a pond version and now I want some bad! Also I really like how you stamped the foam down to get there rock look, did you have to carve it as well? Could you possibly get a close up of the stream I'd like to see how the texture came out, also Amanda you said you tried it, could I see? I got a lot of questions I know, you 2 have got my brain going

NatureLady

GS does make a black colored foam called Pond & Stone. From what I have read it is less expanding and some said it didn't go as far as the gap and crack GS.

As for my experience...I waited about 30 minutes, give or take, and then I pressed (it was still tacky, but it easily came off of my bare hands) on it lightly until I got it to was happy with it. A few places I pressed it flat and a few places I just pressed some of the air out, because it was expanding to places I didn't want it to go.

I have a build going called Mossy Frog Build. Go there and I'll tell you which parts I pressed the foam.

That's great naturelady. I've been putting off the build (doing other things) I'm going to have to do some more work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information