Thread: I'm really concerned, she seems quite sick. Please help!

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default I'm really concerned, she seems quite sick. Please help!

First off, I know this isn't to do with Vivariums but the most people were on this part of the forum, and I couldn't find the help bit of the forum. I'm a really new frog owner, but I know a problem when I see one. They've been in their new setup for a week now, and they are both wild-caught at a nearby lake. Anyways, I'll give you a description of them and their tank, and then the problem:

Gnag the Nameless:
    3 inches long whilst sitting.
    Green, black spotted, white chin and underbelly
    Female
    Estimated age: 10 months to 1 1/4 years old

Bumpy Digtoad:
    2.4 inches long whilst sitting.
    Green, black spotted, white chin and underbelly
    Female
    Estimated age: 8 months to 1 year old

Setup: 30 Gallon [YES! I know it is too small! I am getting a 55 Gallon soon, maybe an 100 Gallon after that if possible and when the time comes, giving away one frog (Most likely Bumpy, when she is larger) to a trusted friend of mine who also is an animal lover, and owns a man-made pond. Don't maul my post with anger and insults!]

Gravel on bottom of water section, water 3 inches above gravel, ozonated [Pure Spring water] store-bought water. 1/3 of tank is made up of land connected to a piece of Malaysian wood, which forms a partially underwater cave with three exits. Fake water reeds in water and fake hanging plants around land area. Fluval U2 underwater filter right bottom corner, fully functioning [In water]. Finally, a proper lid, and a background on the back of the tank.

Now, for the past 2 days, Gnag's skin has turned brown, and she has not been out, swimming around, as usual. [At least, only late at night, probably. I didn't check then, so it's possible she was out then.]. Bumpy seems fine, hiding as usual, her skin a dark green, as usual. Anyways, it appeared Gnag had spent the whole night in the rock cave on shore. Her skin was really dry [For a water frog] and I quickly checked for the gooey skin around the neck meaning Chytrid. None of that, luckily, neither any peeling of skin, or odd marks on her. I've had them for 4 months, and I haven't seen any signs of Chytrid close to me [I live on the outskirts of Vancouver, past Coquitlam]. Out of the time at my lake where I caught these frogs, I've only seen one dead frog, a massive adult. Anyways, in the tank I did find a piece of bio-waste that didn't look like it had been processed properly, though it could've been a drowned cricket that went through the filter, or one that I missed and it decomposed, which is highly possible. I did a physical examination and nothing appeared out of place or sick. She was also swimming fast, and hopping to evade me when I had to catch her for the examination. She ate plentifully last night, and as usual, she seems a tiny bit fatter than usual, which is fine. I haven't put calcium mix on the crickets for a while, they never eat them when they have calcium mix on them. I have only fed them crickets for the past 4 weeks, something I wish to correct very soon. Neither have I done a Ph or Ammonia check, though I have refreshed the water [Pure spring water, store-bought] recently. My friend says her coloration is due to the fact it's not the breeding season. But please, I have spent over 500$ on these frogs. I do NOT want them to die now, it'd break my heart and I'd probably never have frogs again. Please, help as soon as possible!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: I'm really concerned, she seems quite sick. Please help!

Update: I have just bought mealworms [Don't worry, I always either crush part of their heads or disable their jaws before feeding to the frogs] and fed the frogs two calcium-powdered crickets. I am planning on getting a UV light soon as well.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I'm a bit disappointed. She's been this way for a couple of days now, and I'd expected SOMEONE to have at least offered advice to me. But no, no one has yet. I might take her to a vet soon. I am worried she has a bacterial infection.

You should post pics, I don't think anyone has a clue what kind of toad/s or frog/s you have, or even remotely know what could be wrong.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default I'm really concerned, she seems quite sick. Please help!

Hi Gnag, I found your other posts and replied for you.

If you answer the questions for me I should be able to help. I'll be waiting to hear back from you.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Canada]

Check this post, and read all the comments before commenting:

http://www.frogforum.net/frogs/20447...o-green-2.html

NatureLady

Quote Originally Posted by b24082 View Post
    You should post pics, I don't think anyone has a clue what kind of toad/s or frog/s you have, or even remotely know what could be wrong.
    Is this your form of trying to help someone? I couldn't imagine as to why you didn't get any response from this comment. I know you are newer to the forum, but so is Gnag the Nameless. Gnag was trying to get help and posted this in a place where the most members where at the time. With just a bit a research before posting your comment, Gnag keeps bullfrogs...so says Gnag's profile. Easy answer to your "I don't think anyone has a clue what kind of toad/s or frog/s you have.

I am glad Heather and UncleChester found the two threads posted. They helped and are continuing to help, it's what we do here. We help when we can, offer support if we can't, and share with one another on a whole bunch of different topics.

I don't typically rant about someone being rude here, but this is the second time tonight I am reading something that you have typed and thought..."wow".

Just trying to help with picture identification. I was not being rude and i'm sorry you took it this way. I was also not aware of another thread, I figured this was the only thread and describing frogs by "one is brown with black spots" in the most vague of ways made me ask. No animosity was intended. It seems you have gotten offended over my post on the other thread. I will reply to you in that one as well.

Maybe this thread should be locked with a link to the more active one to avoid confusion http://www.frogforum.net/frogs/20447...-no-green.html

Thread Information