Thread: Lilly and Kermit. My American Bullfrogs.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Lilly and Kermit. My American Bullfrogs.

I've shown off Lilly my little Albino girl before. But I thought I'd introduce the others in the Bullfrog gang as well. I will upload more on Friday. I tried to get a good picture of the dark baby, but he would not hold still and every picture was blurry. So fingers crossed he behaves Friday and lets me get good pictures. He is such a neat color and I really want to show him off! I also need a better picture of Lilly. She is lighter yellow now. But she is hard to photograph without being washed out and her eyes reflecting too much in the flash!

Baby Lilly:

Lilly Underwater:

Lilly at a year old:

I don't have any baby pictures of Kermit besides blurry cell pictures. So here is his yearling pictures:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

They are both awesome! I really like American bullfrogs. Such strength in those legs, yet smooth swimmers.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lilly and Kermit. My American Bullfrogs.

Well I believe the black baby is a girl! She is a lot bigger now and much calmer (she is still a little bit of a spaz though). She isn't as dark as she used to be. However unlike her siblings she still has a pretty bold pattern. She hasn't lost her spots. I'm hoping to get a decent picture of her showing off her pattern. But so far this is the best picture I have been able to get.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]

Awe!!! Super cute!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I swear you have to be a ninja to get pictures of my bullfrogs. It's like they know when I'm trying to get a picture and decide to start freaking out and jump all over the place... Any other time I get near them they all just perk up expecting food.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ha ha! Bully is solid tough, but a jumpy fella. He's like a sumo wrestler but afraid of everything, lol!

Nationality
    [United States]

What do your tanks look like?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

My big tanks are in my boyfriend's basement so, I won't be able to get a picture until I go over there. The 40 gallon will be getting a little make over. I bought a rock waterfall/filter for it.

Anyway, the pictures attached are of my little 10 gallon which I am keeping 3 baby bullfrogs for the time being. I put a few big rocks in there from another aquarium to introduce some good bacteria as this tank was clean and uncycled. The platform with the slate and hide on top of it also came from a different aquarium and did have java moss attached to the mesh. But the babies quickly had that all ripped to shreds so I took the moss out. I'm thinking of buying some more anacharis to divide up between the tanks. I just let it float and grow into a mat. The frogs like hiding in it that way.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]

They're really cute! How old are they?

N3XU5

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Well I believe the black baby is a girl! She is a lot bigger now and much calmer (she is still a little bit of a spaz though). She isn't as dark as she used to be. However unlike her siblings she still has a pretty bold pattern. She hasn't lost her spots. I'm hoping to get a decent picture of her showing off her pattern. But so far this is the best picture I have been able to get.
    Cute frog. Reminds me of my bullfrog. how long have you been a frog owner?
    If you want, I'll post some pictures of my bullfrog(dwight).

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

My big bullfrog Kermit is 2 years old now and is actually a she. We just never changed her name. We call her, Kermi.

My albino was very very sick when I took over her care and thought she was going to die that night. But I managed to get her through it and she thrived. However I believe she had internal damage done. She had MBD very badly and was bloated and had sores on her body. Once I got meds for her and got her eating she was miles better within just a week. However her life was cut short. She was also 2 years old and she died a few days ago. She ate right up til the end and looked good. Just the day before she died she was lethargic and refused to eat. When I woke up the next morning she had died.

The two bigger babies are now a year old. The smaller green baby is 9 months old.

I have been keeping frogs for 3 years and I've been keeping snakes for 5.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Ashley! Your frogs look very nice . Sorry for the albino death ; internal organ damage will drastically shorten a frog's life.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

How do you know when a frog has internal organ damage?
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLynch View Post
    You can't.

My frog was very very sick. I consulted a Vet. He told me what he thought was wrong and gave me medications. He told me she could possibly have internal damage such as Kidney damage.

With medication my frog got better and started acting normal and eating. But she died just a few months later. I assume from possible internal damage. I did not have a necropsy done to know for sure.

How big does their aquarium need to be, an how expensive is it to care for them?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It really depends on a few thing. As for aquarium, I personally use a 40 gallon for just one bullfrog. I currently have Kermit in a 40 gallon tank with a platform that takes up a little less than half of the tank. She can sit on it or swim under it if she chooses. I would not keep more than 2 bullfrogs in a 40 gallon. I would prefer a larger tank for more than one frog really. Both male and females display territorial behaviors. You treat the water in the tank like you would a fish aquarium. In regard to cycling, partial water changes and filtration.

If you keep more than one bullfrog they must be very close to the same size. They will try to eat anything they can get into their mouth. Even another bullfrog.

As for how expensive it is. Well an adult bullfrog can eat a lot. You can save money by buying a lot of crickets online. If buying from a pet shop it can become pretty expensive. Breeding your own feeders will make it much easier on your wallet though. I breed roaches. I used to breed crickets too but they stink, are noisy and I don't like keeping them.

A lot of people will feed mice to their bullfrogs. However a staple diet of mice is bad for them. It should only be a treat. I would also suggest prekilled mice. Personally I do not feed mice at all to my frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    It really depends on a few thing. As for aquarium, I personally use a 40 gallon for just one bullfrog. I currently have Kermit in a 40 gallon tank with a platform that takes up a little less than half of the tank. She can sit on it or swim under it if she chooses. I would not keep more than 2 bullfrogs in a 40 gallon. I would prefer a larger tank for more than one frog really. Both male and females display territorial behaviors. You treat the water in the tank like you would a fish aquarium. In regard to cycling, partial water changes and filtration.

If you keep more than one bullfrog they must be very close to the same size. They will try to eat anything they can get into their mouth. Even another bullfrog.

As for how expensive it is. Well an adult bullfrog can eat a lot. You can save money by buying a lot of crickets online. If buying from a pet shop it can become pretty expensive. Breeding your own feeders will make it much easier on your wallet though. I breed roaches. I used to breed crickets too but they stink, are noisy and I don't like keeping them.

A lot of people will feed mice to their bullfrogs. However a staple diet of mice is bad for them. It should only be a treat. I would also suggest prekilled mice. Personally I do not feed mice at all to my frogs.
    Do you only feed insects? Also how big do dubias get?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yes, I only feed insects. My adult dubia's are 2 inches long. I don't feed the adults off though. I only feed off the the bigger babies that are half an inch long. Kermit only eats about 3 or 4 of those. She can eat 20 medium crickets in one sitting.

I feed my feeders fruits and veggies. I put vitamin powder on the veggies. Then I dust the feeders with calcium d3 twice a week. I feed my young frogs every other day (small babies are fed every day). Kermit gets fed every 2 or 3 days since she is 2 years old and almost a full sized adult.

Edit to add: I also feed earth worms during the spring and summer.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLynch View Post
    From knowing details of frogs health and enclosure parameters associated with certain issues. In the case of the Ashley's Albino, it had suffered MDB and was bloated. The last can be associated with Kidney and possibly Lymph Hearts damage .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

A couple updated pictures of Kermit. She is a good 5 inches or more. I haven't gotten an exact measurement, but she is pretty huge!

Name:  Kermit03.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  84.5 KBName:  Kermit04.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  97.7 KB

Thread Information