Thread: Hello, Frog Forum. I have something I need opinions on...

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Hello, Frog Forum. I have something I need opinions on...

Hello! I am a frog owner at the age of 14, nearly 15. Of course, you will now presume I am a normal, stupid teenager who cares little for frogs. That's not true. I do love my frogs, and have spent over 500$ on my own two pet Juvenile Bullfrogs, Gnag and Bumpy, who are wild caught. They have been in my care since Sept 24th 2012. I shall give you a short description of them and their tank:

Gnag the Nameless:
    3 inches long whilst sitting.
    Green, black spotted, white chin and underbelly[Sometimes brownish skin on her back, part of my question I shall ask you later in this post]
    Female
    Estimated age: 10 months to 1 1/4 years old

Bumpy Digtoad:
    2.4 inches long whilst sitting.
    Green, black spotted, white chin and underbelly [Same as Gnag.]
    Female
    Estimated age: 8 months to 1 year old

Setup: 30 Gallon [YES! I know it is too small! I am getting a 55 Gallon soon, maybe an 100 Gallon after that if possible and when the time comes, giving away one frog (Most likely Bumpy, when she is larger) to a trusted friend of mine who also is an animal lover, and owns a man-made pond. Don't maul my post with anger and insults!]

Gravel on bottom of water section, water 3 inches above gravel, distilled store-bought water. 1/3 of tank is made up of land connected to a piece of Malaysian wood, which forms a partially underwater cave with three exits. Fake water reeds in water and fake hanging plants around land area. Fluval U2 underwater filter right bottom corner [In water]. Finally, a proper lid, and a background on the back of the tank.

They were placed in the tank on Jan 4th, 2013. During that time, Gnag's coloration was a fairly light green-brown. Bumpy's was a normal Dark Green. Since then, Gnag's coloration has degraded to an almost brown. I have not yet tested the water for Ammonia, PH, etc. There appears to be a faint blue on the surface of the area nearby the Malaysian wood when viewed with a LED book light. Also, I have not seen the frogs out of the cave during nighttime as of the last 4 days [Possibly because I haven't been staying up with the lights on for a very long time recently. They only come out during nighttime. The fact that I've been at school for the past 4 days reinforces the not-staying-up theory.] I feed the frogs every other night, 4-8 crickets [I am getting mealworms soon]. I rarely see the frogs eat, but I know they do as usually there are no crickets in the tank by morning except maybe one drowned one, which I remove. The frogs are also not skinny, but not overweight either. Another cause for the coloration of Gnag is: the frogs stay in the mainly-underwater cave for most of the day, and the current of the filter appears not to be strong enough to reach there currently [I slowed the current so it was not as loud, and so it did not disturb the frogs as much] so, bio-waste may be simply lying there, and as I kept them in a 20 Gallon when they were froglets without a filter [I cleaned the tank weekly] I know that the brighter coloration they are, either the water is cleaner or they are healthier. I've ruled out Chytrid as it is not present in the lake I caught them at, and I haven't been anywhere I expect it would be as of late, neither have I seen any major symptoms such as gooey skin on the neck. As for other ailments, I have done a physical examination of Gnag, and she seems fine other than the skin coloration. Any comments, questions, opinions, suggestions, or the usual anger at keeping juvenile bullfrogs in a 30 Gallon? Lastly, I will refresh a small portion of the water today. I will update this post if something occurs.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Hello, Frog Forum. I have something I need opinions on...

Update: Gnag's skin appears to have become a tad more green now that I have refreshed a portion of the water. Soon, I will buy a full ten liter jug of distilled water, and refresh more of it. I am using up what remains of two ten liters right now, roughly 5 liters of water. The tank itself takes about 23 liters of distilled water to fill up to the correct height for the water. Any comments, questions, opinions, suggestions will be appreciated. Yes, that was the trick. I am sorry for the inconvenience of troubling you with this matter. However, at least you now know who I am, and what type of frog I own.

is this their first time with distilled water? distilled water is devoid of any minerals that the frogs actually need. your best bet would be to use tap water that has been dechlorinated. i can tell you your pH, it's 7.0. distilled water is neutral in every way. no minerals, means nothing to buffer the pH to. i wouldn't believe that the sound of rushing water would disturb them. bullfrogs are found near streams as well as ponds and lakes. they may even actually like it. the increased flow will also disperse the film on the top of the water for you.

as far as their color, maybe they are still acclimating to a new environment. much like you or i would if we were suddenly moved from our homes.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

4. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thumbs up Re: Hello, Frog Forum. I have something I need opinions on...

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    is this their first time with distilled water? distilled water is devoid of any minerals that the frogs actually need. your best bet would be to use tap water that has been dechlorinated. i can tell you your pH, it's 7.0. distilled water is neutral in every way. no minerals, means nothing to buffer the pH to. i wouldn't believe that the sound of rushing water would disturb them. bullfrogs are found near streams as well as ponds and lakes. they may even actually like it. the increased flow will also disperse the film on the top of the water for you.

as far as their color, maybe they are still acclimating to a new environment. much like you or i would if we were suddenly moved from our homes.
    No, no, I've been using distilled water [Correction: Ozonated (Pure spring water)] ever since I got my little hoppers. How much does a dechlorinater cost? And how long would it take to dechlorinate? If it costs below, maybe a bit more, than 100$, I'm up to it. I'm devoted to these frogs, they're all I talk about. It's a relief to tell my pH is low. As for the filter, that's an even bigger relief. I want my frogs to be as happy, relaxed, and healthy as possible. Yes, I do have slight regrets for taking them from their homes, part of the reason I'm "Wasting all your money" as my friends say to me. However, I think having cute and unique pets is great, as long as they are given the best possible home. It's certainly worth it to hear them swimming about, and occasionally, letting out a croak. And I doubt Bumpy, or possible Gnag would've still been alive by now if they stayed in the lake, because there are lots of big bullfrogs at the lake, along with even larger fish, herons, and of course, humans [No electric boats, thank goodness.] However, I do feel it is doing my natural frogs some good. I almost never see them anymore due to the cannibalistic and invasive bullfrogs that have come here. Taking two female bullfrogs out of the lake, but not hurting them is a humane and effective way to give our natural frogs a slightly better chance, if only by a tiny bit
    Last edited by Gnag the nameless; January 10th, 2013 at 10:12 PM.

you don't have to spend any money on a dechlorinator, if you don't mind having a bunch of buckets around. if you fill a bottle of water up an leave it open, the chlorine will off gas on it's own in 24 hours. and remember, you're pH is only that way with the distilled water. once you put dechlorinated tap water, it WILL change. it is totally different water.

and don't get me wrong. i was just making an analogy about them needing time to get used to the place. i'm not here to condemn you for collecting wild frogs. and you just may have saved their lives
    Last edited by deranged chipmunk; January 10th, 2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: forgot to say how long to leave the bottle open
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

7. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Great! When I had them in the 20 Gallon when they were bullfroglets, I had tons of buckets as I cleaned out the tank every week. Now that I have the filter, I won't have to clean them out as often, meaning I can use all 6 buckets for de-chlorifying water! Alright, but one question: How do I reduce Ph levels?

Don't worry, no harm done or feelings hurt. Thanks for the advice, being a new person to the world of frogs, learning from experts such as yourself is the best way to become a good frog owner. And yeah I might've

oh, believe me, i'm far from an expert...LOL but i do know this for a fact, reducing pH is not easy. test it first to see what it is, then, if need be, we can figure out what to do with your water. i have a saying i use in real life, but never in the forums, "you can't rush into these things". now, at home, it's my way of getting out of housework, but it's true. you put a lot of money and effort into this. so why rush it, and risk making a mistake? go slow, take things slowly, you'll thank yourself later that you did and your frogs will definitely thank you
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

10. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Nah, you seem more experienced than I am by a long shot. I'd expected removing Ph not to be easy, but I'm up to the challenge if it's for my frogs. This may sound stupid, but how do I test the water? I agree with your saying, rushing things never turns out as good as taking them slowly [Homework has taught me that ]. I'm definitely considering to try to use the Dechlorinated tap water. Thanks for all the advice

not a problem. get yourself a freshwater pH kit. you can get them pretty much anywhere they sell fish stuff. or, you can take your water to petsmart and they will test it for free. it will probably be off a little, but it would give you a good, rough baseline.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

13. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Alright. I know of four pet stores relatively close to me, 2 of which have proper supplies for Reptiles/Fish/Amphibians not just Cats, Dogs, and Rodents. If one of the two reliable pet stores doesn't have it, the other one will definitely have what I need. It specializes more in exotic pets than average ones. As for the testing, most pet stores should have that. Once again, thanks for the advice, and spending your time on helping another frog owner

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    you don't have to spend any money on a dechlorinator, if you don't mind having a bunch of buckets around. if you fill a bottle of water up an leave it open, the chlorine will off gas on it's own in 24 hours. and remember, you're pH is only that way with the distilled water. once you put dechlorinated tap water, it WILL change. it is totally different water.

and don't get me wrong. i was just making an analogy about them needing time to get used to the place. i'm not here to condemn you for collecting wild frogs. and you just may have saved their lives
    If the tap water in your area also has Chlorimines it will not evaporate like chlorine and will remain behind. Heavy metals also do not evaporate. The 48 hour set out will do nothing if the water still contains chemicals and heavy metals. Using either natural spring water ir treated tap water is the way to go.

Bill is right about distilled water. It will eventually make your frogs sick because it is nothing but pure water. No minerals or salts that the frogs need for proper hydration and bodily functions. Use soring water or treated tap water. Distilled will leach vitamins, nutrients and electrolytes out of your frogs.

16. 2 members thank GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Well, let me go check the brand of the water I get. I'm not sure if it is actually distilled water.... Real Canadian Natural Spring Water. That's the brand. And I will definitely take note of that. I've never actually paid attention to whether it was distilled water or not, I just assumed it was... I hope that wasn't a stupid move of mine. And yes, I did fear that Chloramine might've been an issue.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yes, it is Ozonated water. That's it. Ah, I must've forgot. Is Ozonated acceptable to use with Bullfrogs? I apologize for my rather limited skills in the frog care expertise, these hoppers are my first frogs ever.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    If the tap water in your area also has Chlorimines it will not evaporate like chlorine and will remain behind. Heavy metals also do not evaporate. The 48 hour set out will do nothing if the water still contains chemicals and heavy metals. Using either natural spring water ir treated tap water is the way to go.

Bill is right about distilled water. It will eventually make your frogs sick because it is nothing but pure iwater. No minerals or salts that the frogs need for proper hydration and bodily functions. Use soring water or treated tap water. Distilled will leach vitamins, nutrients and electrolytes out of your frogs.
    thanks grif. I always forget about chloramine because my city doesn't use it.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

Update: My friend [The one who lives on a farm and has been at the lake for many more years than I have] says that since it isn't the mating season, my frogs colours will naturally degrade. Is this possible?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Update: Please go to my other Thread on the Vivariums section [I couldn't find the help section, sorry >_< I'm new here]. I need help as soon as possible with Gnag.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnag the nameless View Post
    However, I do feel it is doing my natural frogs some good. I almost never see them anymore due to the cannibalistic and invasive bullfrogs that have come here. Taking two female bullfrogs out of the lake, but not hurting them is a humane and effective way to give our natural frogs a slightly better chance, if only by a tiny bit
    Absolutely, bullfrogs don't belong in BC so no worries at all about taking invaders out of the wild and taking care of them, that's all good.

Requests for help with a frog can usually go in the forum for that group of frog, but we're not usually too picky about this. Bullfrogs would go under Frogs which is for 'true frogs'. That way you're more likely to get people familiar with the species you have (or at least its closer relatives).

I don't have much first hand experience with bullfrogs, but its pretty normal for many species to experience colour changes related to temperature and humidity. Provided the frog is behaving normally, namely eating and defecating as you'd expect, I wouldn't be too concerned with a change in skin colour, especially since you've inspected the skin and found it to be in good shape.

I also don't know much about ozonated water, but here's a handy water primer you might find helpful http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...hing-else.html

You mentioned mealworms in another thread. They're low in nutritional value and are generally only used as occasional food. I don't bother worrying about busting their faces up first and have never had any issue with them causing my treefrogs problems (my frogs are also much smaller than yours). I've never imagined they live very long inside a frogs guts (they drown in water fast) and despite my attempts to provoke mealworms in my hand I've yet to have one attack me, unless you consider curling up into a fetal position an 'attack' designed to generate pity. But continue to mess them up first if you feel better about it.

You might also try earthworms as feeders, they are excellent nutritionally but not all frogs will accept them.

Good luck, and I hope your frogs are well.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hello, Frog Forum. I have something I need opinions on...

Hello and welcome

I love bullfrogs, especially American bullfrogs . I have an albino American bullfrog myself. Do you have any photos of yours?

Okay, so you already know they need a bigger tank so that's good. Be sure to secure their lid with clips. They can jump 3 to 6 feet, easily, as I'm sure you may have discovered . Strong little stinkers .

As for the water...bottled SPRING water is fine. Do not use distilled water or bottled drinking water. Distilled water actually pulls electrolytes out of them. Bottled drinking water has chlorine in it. Tap water that is dechlorinated can also be used. You can purchase dechlorinating drops to add to the water, which makes the water chlorine and chloramine-free within just a few minutes....easy. You can purchase dechlorinator in the aquarium/fish and/or reptile sections of a pet store. It is generally cheaper to buy it from the aquarium section.

I would recommend getting a good bio-filtration system and perhaps a mechanic filter or both in one. They eat well and poop a lot and their feces tend to be a bit large. Water changes are still a must. I do a biweekly water change of 50% of the water now that my tank is well cycled and my bio filtration is in full gear.

Okay, another question for you....do you use calcium with vitamin D3 and multivitamin powder on their food? Reptile/amphibian multivitamin powder should be used weekly (not on the same day as the calcium/D3) and calcium with vitamin D3 powder every other day. You can put a pinch in a sandwich baggie or cup and gently shake the crickets until they have a nice light coating all over them. This will keep your frogs from developing deficiencies and from developing illnesses and mobility and bone disorders which can lead to death. Frogs in nature develop vitamin D3 from exposure to sun light. Vitamin D3 is required to metabolize and absorb calcium. Frogs can develop tetany and lack of muscle use, and may also develop MBD (metabolic bone disease) due to lack of calcium and vitamin D3. This will eventually lead to death.

Mealworms can be tough on their digestive system. The chitin in the mealworm segments is not digested. It has to pass through their systems. It can sometimes cause constipation or impaction. Therefore, they are not recommended. Night crawlers and earthworms (without dyes or scents added) are very nutritional and easy to digest. Crickets are fine too, but not as nutritional as earthworms or night crawlers. Crickets should be gut-loaded, which means feeding them good nutritional foods so that our frogs benefit from what the crickets eat.

By having the proper water, keeping the water filtered, monitoring the pH, providing the proper nutrients and food, giving the space they need, and minimizing their stress they should adjust to their home and be healthy .

Hope this helps .

Do you have a picture of their home?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information