Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pyxie frog diet

demon amphibians

Default Re: Pyxie frog diet

You do have a good point. I didn't even bother to research frozen fish. I will only feed live prey.
    Unless you breed your own fish or crayfish or anything else you will never really know what your frog is ingesting.
    But consider if fish and other store bought aquatic feeders are know for parasites, then crickets earth worms and many others carry as well. With that said breeding your own supply is the best way regardless of what it is. I would even consider breeding mice if they weren't so disgusting. I am a dude and i find very few animals disgusting but rodents are definitely one of them.
    I didn't think you were criticizing. I just wanted to enlighten you on my findings. Mice however should also be a concern. Even captive breed are capable of carrying far more parasites and disease then almost anything else you can find in a store that your frog would eat. But remember when buying for the stores your chances of encountering anything is very low. And that goes with most everything. But i have seen stores that i wouldn't ever consider buying from.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Pyxie frog diet

I only feed my frogs a frozen/thawed mouse once every other month, just to mix up the diet a bit. I breed my own Dubia roaches, and I personally find crickets horrid little creature.... Hate the way they smell!
    I feed nightcrawlers and dubias mostly. Horned worms when I can afford it.

If you take a step back and look at the big picture, all animals have a chance to harbor parasites and other nasties. They'd why parasites are one of the most successful animals in the world. However, there are many more water born parasites that I know of than parasites using insects or worms as their host. I just won't trust fish as feeders unless it is in something processed and cleaned such as pacman food.

demon amphibians

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I only feed my frogs a frozen/thawed mouse once every other month, just to mix up the diet a bit. I breed my own Dubia roaches, and I personally find crickets horrid little creature.... Hate the way they smell!
    I feed nightcrawlers and dubias mostly. Horned worms when I can afford it.
    If you take a step back and look at the big picture, all animals have a chance to harbor parasites and other nasties. They'd why parasites are one of the most successful animals in the world. However, there are many more water born parasites that I know of than parasites using insects or worms as their host. I just won't trust fish as feeders unless it is in something processed and cleaned such as pacman food.
    I can totally understand that. And what you said about gold fish makes perfect since, when i read back through the email i got from the frog farm they didnt specify gold fish they just mentioned fish. But i do feed my frogs fish very rarely the pixie has the hardest time catching them but my american bullfrog has no problem. But as of late since my dubia colony is doing so well i dont even bother to go to the pet store for pet food other then to get rodents for my snakes then i just grab some extra mice for my frogs supplemental feeding. I will say this; roaches are the best food i have yet come by. And i actually think they are fun to breed. I am thinking of starting another colony of a larger breed of roaches. Do you have any recommendations?

Crikey

Im just going to stay away from the fish. I think I have some good ideas for staples. Thank you guys so much for your sugesstions! Really love this forum.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Pyxie frog diet

I breed vibrant and wide horn hissers (2 largest species in the trade) very fun!!! My main diet is still night crawlers probably the most nutritional thing available lol
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal
    2-Green Iguanas- LeeRoy and Spike
    2- Sulcata Torts- Chunk and Scoot
    1-Argentine BWxRed Tegu-Kirby

Nationality
    [United States]

This is a good feeder discussion.

Mentioning feeders bought from a pet store harboring parasites is a very valid point, but as Bruce has stated every living thing has the potential to be carrying a parasite or disease. Having a strong healthy animal is key to preventing infection and being prepared to take necessary steps to rid your frog of any parasite or disease it may have cought. Proper diet, climate conditions, and supplemetation can keep your frog going strong and reduces stress levels which can seriouly reak havok on your frog's immune system if not kept in check.

Perception is also very important. Pay attention to your frog and keep an eye out for any odd behavior changes and activity or inactivity.

Back to feeder parasites. No matter how clean you keep crickets whether they are bred by a supplier or by you they are dirty feeders. Crickets have always been known to carry Pinworms. Now this doesn't mean you should stop using crickets. Just be ready to treat the frog if it ever becomes infected.

Earthworms don't carry many parasites at all. I believe this is probably due to them being somewhat of a relative to any parasitic worms. There are Nematodes that use snails, slugs, and earthworms as a carrier, but usually have a particular host they need to fully mature like say human or another particular animal that is endothermic, but some aren't picky and will infect any animal whether it's endo or ectothermic.

Breeding your own feeders is a better way to go in the long run, but some feeder may be difficult do to food requirements and growth rates. Like Hornworms which grow at insane rates.

Basically don't be afraid of buying feeders just be prepared incase something does go wrong
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; January 12th, 2013 at 10:29 PM.

demon amphibians

Quote Originally Posted by Deac77 View Post
    I breed vibrant and wide horn hissers (2 largest species in the trade) very fun!!! My main diet is still night crawlers probably the most nutritional thing available lol
    I am thinking about doing hissers as well. It takes many dubia's to feed my larger frogs. And even though i have a massive colony my frogs are easily putting a dent in it. I want to go larger can you give some advice on where i can find them for a decent price as well as how they differ in care from dubia's. (Other then their climbing abilities).

Crikey

I love how my feeding question turned into this big ol thread. Ha I love it!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Pyxie frog diet

Quote Originally Posted by demon amphibians View Post
    I am thinking about doing hissers as well. It takes many dubia's to feed my larger frogs. And even though i have a massive colony my frogs are easily putting a dent in it. I want to go larger can you give some advice on where i can find them for a decent price as well as how they differ in care from dubia's. (Other then their climbing abilities).
    Hissers breed faster but that's about it lol the 3 species I keep are slow breeding hissers but regular Madagascar hissers are fast breeders

These are what I have

Halloween Hisser (probably the slowest breeder)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358135389.490880.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  50.3 KB

Wide horn (a little faster but probably to big for a frog)this is my biggest male right at 6" long
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358135443.478975.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  64.0 KB

And vibrants (not a viable feeder to expensive for the REAL vibrants)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358135533.867699.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  65.8 KB

You'll probably want to feed Madagascar Hissers fast breeding and medium sized (in the hisser world) I ordered from bugsincyberspace.com pretty good prices and huge selection but you may be able to find them cheaper on fauna or kingsnake
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal

demon amphibians

I am totally interested in the wide horn hisser. That would be perfect for my frogs and toads. My frogs gets a monthly supplement of a mid sized rat which are bigger then the roach you have in your hand but the roaches are way healthier. i want to move away from rodents all together. I have 3 species that would be able to eat those. So where is a good place to buy and how long will it take to get a decent size colony established? And of course are they expensive?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Pyxie frog diet

Quote Originally Posted by demon amphibians View Post
    I am totally interested in the wide horn hisser. That would be perfect for my frogs and toads. My frogs gets a monthly supplement of a mid sized rat which are bigger then the roach you have in your hand but the roaches are way healthier. i want to move away from rodents all together. I have 3 species that would be able to eat those. So where is a good place to buy and how long will it take to get a decent size colony established? And of course are they expensive?
    Like I said the 3 I posted are all really slow breeders not really good feeders
    www.bugsincyberspace.com is where mine came from and are 6$ EACH I started with 3 and am up to like 10 lol

You may like the ivories they breed faster than Dubia and are BIGGER and can't climb fly (ill get a pic ASAP)
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal

demon amphibians

Thanks for the advice my friend. I will take a look around and see what i can come up with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information