Thread: Supplements.

Wembley

Default Supplements.

So I have read a bunch of articles on supplements for frogs. I currently use a mix of Rep-cal and Herptivite. I usually use it once every 10 days for all my different frogs. Should I be using it more often or is this sufficient and are these good supplements. Your thoughts please.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

McLaura

Default Re: Supplements.

I use both of these supplements myself for both my gray tree frog and dart frogs. I dust with calcium one day, vitamins one day, and then an off day, and repeat that cycle. I've read that it can actually limit the effectiveness of the calcium/vitamins to use them together, so that is why I alternate. I'm sure others can chime in as to whether or not that is the right way to do it, but that's how I do it.

Wembley

When we had to take are Giant Waxy Monkeys to the vet, Red Leg ewwww (They were wild caught we got excited and forgot to ask :/ ) . He said if you use calcium to often they can develop tumors (or something of that nature). So that is why I only use it the way I do. Mind you he has limited knowledge of frogs, it is hard to find a vet who knows a whole lot about them. Trying to avoid future problems. Vet bills are expensive. Thanks McLaura any thoughts on what the vet said?

McLaura

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley View Post
    When we had to take are Giant Waxy Monkeys to the vet, Red Leg ewwww (They were wild caught we got excited and forgot to ask :/ ) . He said if you use calcium to often they can develop tumors (or something of that nature). So that is why I only use it the way I do. Mind you he has limited knowledge of frogs, it is hard to find a vet who knows a whole lot about them. Trying to avoid future problems. Vet bills are expensive. Thanks McLaura any thoughts on what the vet said?
    I haven't heard that about the tumors, but I am definitely not an expert. I would be interested to hear what others have to say about it, as I know it can be bad to not give them enough supplements, so getting it just right is important.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I only use supplements regularly for dart frogs, since those poor things only get fruit flies for food. For other frogs, the only supplements they get are the occasional calcium-dusted food item. They do however get a varied diet and whenever I feed with crickets, these are gut-loaded prior to feeding.

For the darts, I started out using herptivite and repcal, but having done a lot of reading and talking with dartfrog enthusiasts, sticking with just those two seems to lead to subtle nutritional deficiencies like raised frequency of SLS in tadpoles. So now I rotate herptivite, repcal, Repashy Calcium+ICB ("Instant Cricket Balance") and Repashy Supermin. Incidentally, I bought those last two from Ron at AlphaProBreeders, one of our sponsors.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

I dust every time I feed, whether its darts, treefrogs, toads, or whatever. I have never heard of calcium causing tumors, as excess calcium would be passed out the vent. Nor have I heard about mixing vitiman powders and calciums together limit there effectiveness. I know its not a good idea to store them together, but I don't see how they could cancel each other out when stuck to a cricket or fruit fly.

Thread Information