Thread: Are these grasshopper mating ??

Murray of the Deep

Exclamation Are these grasshopper mating ??

Name:  mating.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  93.9 KBName:  matinggg.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  83.4 KB
    here's the pic and barely moving are they mating? the other one is slightly bent are they mating or what? if they are where will they put their egg sacks? can i take the egg sac or will it hatch on its own? are they grasshopper mating??and also where would it be better or which will they prefer to lay egg fruits and twig compost or cocofiber compost?
    Last edited by Murray of the Deep; January 8th, 2013 at 07:47 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Are these grasshopper mating ??

They certainly appear to be mating - but its hard to tell judging by the pictures. I've observed some grasshoppers simply hanging out on one another before... and the females of some species can even be selective and may allow a male to mount her for several minutes then decide to ditch him... So let me ask you an interesting question: did it appear that their "butts" were touching or connected? This can last for a pretty long time.

The location where the female chooses to lay is species dependent, and I'm not at all familiar with species from your country. There are some 20,000 species in the order Orthoptera that contains crickets, locusts, katydids and grasshoppers... so your guess is honestly as good as mine as to preferred substrate and laying medium. She may lay on leaves, or perhaps twigs...maybe even in the soil. There is also an off chance that she may have a specific host plant to lay on... not sure unfortunately. Most grasshoppers seem to prefer to lay in the soil, however, so I would opt for the coco fiber compost option. Give her a couple of inches of the substrate.
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

Murray of the Deep

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreH View Post
    They certainly appear to be mating - but its hard to tell judging by the pictures. I've observed some grasshoppers simply hanging out on one another before... and the females of some species can even be selective and may allow a male to mount her for several minutes then decide to ditch him... So let me ask you an interesting question: did it appear that their "butts" were touching or connected? This can last for a pretty long time.

The location where the female chooses to lay is species dependent, and I'm not at all familiar with species from your country. There are some 20,000 species in the order Orthoptera that contains crickets, locusts, katydids and grasshoppers... so your guess is honestly as good as mine as to preferred substrate and laying medium. She may lay on leaves, or perhaps twigs...maybe even in the soil. There is also an off chance that she may have a specific host plant to lay on... not sure unfortunately. Most grasshoppers seem to prefer to lay in the soil, however, so I would opt for the coco fiber compost option. Give her a couple of inches of the substrate.
    Is the bottom part a female or male because it died the one underneath, I heard that some species dies after mating!! is the underpart a male or female??? in case if its female I added a couple of substrate and they are common greengrasshoppers.

Nationality
    [United States]

I cannot tell from the pictures which is male and which is female unfortunately... if your female died she will not be able to lay eggs.

You can tell by looking at the abdomen whether your remaining insect is a male or female. I always like learning visually so here are some pictures online that depict differences in male and female genitalia:

grasshopper dissection <-- Scroll down to the image that is below the header " Grasshopper: External Features (Female and Male)"

HTML- zool\FACTS\Grasshopper- reproductive system
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

Murray of the Deep

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreH View Post
    I cannot tell from the pictures which is male and which is female unfortunately... if your female died she will not be able to lay eggs.

You can tell by looking at the abdomen whether your remaining insect is a male or female. I always like learning visually so here are some pictures online that depict differences in male and female genitalia:

grasshopper dissection <-- Scroll down to the image that is below the header " Grasshopper: External Features (Female and Male)"

HTML- zool\FACTS\Grasshopper- reproductive system
    my female died D: and also I cut off their jumping legs for easier feed to frogs, can they breed or regrow their legs back?can they breed even with only 4 feet?
    they are also spur throated grasshoppers and green meadow

Pluke

They can't grow their legs back, but they may be able to still breed without them, I really don't see why not. Then again I don't know too much about grasshoppers.

It's too bad that the female died, it would have been pretty cool to get some babies. Most grasshoppers will just lay their eggs in the soil and they will hatch from the soil, no need to move them. Some people who breed crickets will put just a small plastic container of soil in with the adult crickets so that the females will lay the eggs in there and then they'll move the container with the eggs to a bigger tank for them to hatch, that way they don't disturb the soil/eggs.

Murray of the Deep

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    They can't grow their legs back, but they may be able to still breed without them, I really don't see why not. Then again I don't know too much about grasshoppers.

It's too bad that the female died, it would have been pretty cool to get some babies. Most grasshoppers will just lay their eggs in the soil and they will hatch from the soil, no need to move them. Some people who breed crickets will put just a small plastic container of soil in with the adult crickets so that the females will lay the eggs in there and then they'll move the container with the eggs to a bigger tank for them to hatch, that way they don't disturb the soil/eggs.
    thanks for that i will wait till it breeds

Thread Information