Thread: -- Bufo Alvarius Habitat Question --

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    xtheanon

Question -- Bufo Alvarius Habitat Question --

Hi everyone, recently was lucky enough to get 3 colorado river toads and I wanted to make sure their terrarium is setup properly.. also questions about how much to feed them. How often I should change the water, humidity requirements and uv light recommendation.

have a new 40g tank, eco earth coconut substrate, 2 Flukers 8.5 dimmer lamps, a 100w night black heat bulb for uv, and a 100 halogen bulb for daylight,
    2 cork flats that are round underneath for hides, a heat cable for warming the bottom of the cage on one side,
    1 sticky temp gauge to monitor the heat cable temp and 3 velcro temp gauges for air temp monitoring, a granite water bowl free of bpa and plastic for em,
    some tropical moss for the cage for humidity and a decent sized plant.
    pic below

Keeping the terrarium at a steady 80 - 85 as well as 50 percent humidity plus. They hate being taken out of their habitat, I've been feeding one a time to monitor how many crickets each one consumes to make sure they all get food. Also they eat amazing amounts of crickets, so far I've spent 20 bucks on crickets in 4 days.. Whats a good amount of crickets to feed them, I'm gut loading the crickets and calcium dusting once a week as well. Each toad is eatting around 15 crickets a day. I read I should give enough for them to eat for 15 minutes then take away the rest. I'm going to need to start a cricket company cause they are going to cost me more than my dog and snake does in food combined lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've never taken care of an amphibian before and I don't wish to harm them only give them the best home I possibly can. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information