Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: -- Bufo Alvarius Habitat Question --

traveler

Default Re: -- Bufo Alvarius Habitat Question --

Quote Originally Posted by xtheanon View Post
    Really like your setup, I might have to switch to moss for the substrate instead of coconut husk. Seems like it doesn't stick to them near as much = happier toads right ? Ha I know I would feel better. Also you're lucky to have such a large family ! These three that I have are costing me 15$ every two days at the moment buying crickets locally. I'd rather feed superworms, they seem a lot easier to house and live a lot longer but not sure if they're a good choice for them. They have more protein from what I've read. I have to order a large supply and figure out where to house them in my 1 bedroom apartment to try and cut down on costs. My python, dog and ferrets equate to roughly 50$ average a month, these guys are 400%+ more expensive a month so far. Not counting the two 100w bulbs I'm burning 24/7. I'd love to have more once I get the feeding cost under control but I'd be worried about introducing more due to parasites as most in the market are wc it seems, is that why you have others in separate habitats ?

Thank you . But I did spot on one of the forums moss are not good for them as they are not digest it !!! I'm not sure if this is 100 % true but two toads of that's man was mouth bleeding and on the end died. I was using moss for 1 days and all went to bin after reading it I don't want to try it on my. But I have to agree it was excellent substrate ...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

xtheanon

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post

Thank you . But I did spot on one of the forums moss are not good for them as they are not digest it !!! I'm not sure if this is 100 % true but two toads of that's man was mouth bleeding and on the end died. I was using moss for 1 days and all went to bin after reading it I don't want to try it on my. But I have to agree it was excellent substrate ...
    wow I had no idea it was that dangerous, my little guys have eaten one tendril or two but they seem to be fine.
    it's amazing how much these toads can eat, they are hungry 24/7 I swear they could eat 50 crickets each with ease. I keep tong feeding them as the moss I use on top of their huts keeps their habitat humidified. I just hope they don't eat a mouthful and have problems. I love the look the moss gives the cage as well. I'll be careful with the moss thanks for telling me heather and traveler

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default -- Bufo Alvarius Habitat Question --

You're welcome. Any new pictures?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

xtheanon

no new pics at the moment but I've been trying to switch them over to dog food, I've been feeding the crickets the dog food also carrots then dusting them with vitamins and calcium also with crushed 40 percent protein good corn meal no preservative or bs dog food to get them used to the taste and they've finally accepted sliced in half pieces as crickets tong feeding them, I think I fixed the cost of crickets lol. What do you guys think, I'm not going to switch over to just dog food at once. I gave them each 10 crickets and a half piece of dog food. I figured I'll ease them onto the dog food and see how it works.. anyone have any experience with this

i own two pixies and one pacman but never a bufo...but i use this water treatment stuff i got from wal mart called Stress Coat....works great.. and isnt too expensive...like 5 bucks a little bottle and should last u like 1 year or even longer....but as for feeding ur frog dog food?? i dont know if thats safe or not...i feed my cockroaches dog food but i wouldnt try giving it to my frogs....maybe someone else might know more bout it

xtheanon

I was told by the lady I got my toads from they could be trained to eat dog / cat food so I have attempted to get them used to the diet. I won't be feeding them this every day but a few times a month would be nice, I still want to offer them a diverse diet, but for the times I don't have any live food or feel like they need a little bit more food this is a nice option. I've read about frogs / toads eating canned cat food but well see if this is viable, I don't want to harm the little guys. I'm monitoring them before I try this endeavor again.

well if u read up on it and it has been done b4 and they seem to accept it and do well on it i think that would be a easy food source i wish my frogs would eat canned food lol my pixies only react to moving things...they even refuse to eat earthworms lol my pacmans the only one that might eat dog food but havent seen anyone on this forum feed thier pac canned dog/cat food so gonna stay with roaches and worms but hope the best for u and ur bufos

traveler

I want to show you 4 toads on 8 picture a,b,c,d,

25.01.13 - a set on Flickr

Anyone have any idea about sex ? Please answer with letter under picture.

xtheanon

I honestly have no clue about sexing but I've read adult males have a pad on on their front appendages that allow them to grasp the female while mating, I know all three of mine do not have it so I'm guessing I have three females.
    Pic

traveler

My new setup with swimming pool Name:  IMAG0444.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  103.8 KB

13/03/13 water set - a set on Flickr

xtheanon

really nice setup, I'm jealous. Is that a gravel filter in the water side ? how often do you need to clean it ?

traveler

Thank you
    I dont know how often I need to clean it as it's working second day yes

it's undergrawel filter but conected to external filter 1000l with 9w UV light Name:  aef-1000-plus.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  16.0 KB plus booster Name:  ef-booster.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  17.6 KB for better filtration and more space for good bacteria growing. The problem was with sediment on top layer of water. All filters for aquarium have that floater what collecting as well top layer but it need to be deep water to work well. I did put 3cmx3cm china water pump 1cm below the water level to pump all sediment under the undergrawel filter if I want to clean top of it and it's working well.

traveler

Today I did found one of my toads completely submersed like 1cm below of the water level. I'm waiting 1 minute nothing .... MY LITTLE ONCE IS DEAD OR WHAT ?!!!? Quickly I took my toad out from the water and I did place her on the rock in the middle. She is alive !!!! But as quick as I took her from the water she comeback there hehehe.... diving lessons hehehe.... They are spending much more time in this pound then before in the bowl with water even in the day time.

xtheanon

traveler

superb!!!

xtheanon

think I'm going to mimic your build but use a custom water bowl made at a pottery place to my dimensions and level it with the substrate instead of filtering it, I gotta switch the look up their home is too mundane

traveler

Don't forget about ammonia and nitrite level in the water. Maybe I'm wrong buy in my opinion You need to change water every day if you are not going to use water filtration where good bacteria can develop and brake it down. I'm using API test kit they are ok

xtheanon

how goes their new home ?

traveler

Hmm... pain in ... with ammonia but it's normal until new filter will be stable. Name:  P4012115.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  117.3 KB
    5-10l water change every day doing the job. I'm thinking to put 25l barrel in to the cycle to increase water in the cycle to 40l This will help as well but it's an option if nothing change during next 2-3 weeks.The toads behavior did change completely. They are walking around during day and night looks really happy.
    ps.
    Day before yesterday when I was changing water. I have little pipe 0.5cm with 4x4cm pump under gravel. It's working slow like 5l /5min. I did left small gap on size of pipe in the doors where the pipe was going out to the waste collection barrel. I went out of that place and comeback after some time and did top up fresh water feed them and close everything. It was afternoon. At the evening we come back to home. My girlfriend want to see them. Staying on front of viv spot one toad jumping to her and across her feet from side of room !!! We quick count them and another is missing !!!! Two toads escape from viv when I was out for 5-10 min !!! They spot 0.5mm gap where the pipe was going out and why not use it when I was back I did not spot any differences .... Now I have to be more carefully. Yesterday the some toads was hiding next to open door in the water part and I'm sure they was want to repeat travel...

nepkire

Wow this is a great topic. I have been thinking about changing my toads set up so that it is less maintenance. Like setting up water filtration to reduce how often I need to clean and change water. How often do you need to clean the water with the filter setup like this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information