Thread: New Waxy Monkey tree frogs!

wizardwaxy

Default New Waxy Monkey tree frogs!

Hi All,

I'm a new member and frog owner. Ive been wanting a waxy monkey tree frog for awhile now and finally picked up a pair at a reptile show this weekend. This forum has been absolutely essential in setting up my first p. sauvagi home. It seems the smaller of the two is a bit stressed based on the darker color. Attached is a picture. Ill try to get better ones. This is the darkest ive seen him but a few hours earlier he was a lot brighter. Ive only had them 2 days , but his color is stressing me out! No uvb light yet but will be adding that asap. Other than that everything else is pretty standard. Ive seen the big one eat and poop but not the little guy. Any advice would help. Also, the few times I have handled them I could swear I feel something trippy. Does anybody know if they have same secretions as the bicolor. Thanks.

Name:  20130107_003330.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  113.8 KB not sure why pics is sideways but its meant to show the colors.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Waxy Monkey tree frogs!

welcome to the forum! waxies are the best!

don't worry about the color, when it is darker, at night they're getting darker too and it seems yours don't have problems eating, both of them actually lol
    general rule - bright green-lime green waxy is a happy waxy, dull or olive color is a sign of unhappy waxy, but not necessarily a sick one.
    get uvb no more then 5%, make sure temps/humidity are good, and i would get rid of those branches they're sitting on, they need smooth ones.

and hey, it looks like small one that you referring as he is a she more pics would help thou. and based on the size of the butt of the other one that might be a she too, head sideways picture would tell.

they do have similar secretion like bicolor, you have to wash your hands before and after, and even better, try to handle them as less as possible.

how big they're are, are they WC or CB?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

arielgasca420

I wanted to clarify some information. Do these frogs need UVB for metabolism?
    I only ask because some say it is not necessary for metabolism in frogs, but maybe some species are exempt from this.
    Just making sure in case I ever meet someone with a p. sauvagi or decide to get one for myself

wizardwaxy

They are captive bred. The brighter one is about 1.75 snout to vent and the smaller one is about 1.25 inches. He is alot brighter today so that is good. Do you know if the amazonian people also use regular waxy for their cleansing ceremonies?

Attachment 44929this is the smaller one
    Attachment 44928this is the bigger one

Can anyone say what sex they are? and Sorry I do not know why my pics come out sideways when I attach them.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwaxy View Post
    They are captive bred. The brighter one is about 1.75 snout to vent and the smaller one is about 1.25 inches. He is alot brighter today so that is good. Do you know if the amazonian people also use regular waxy for their cleansing ceremonies?

Attachment 44929this is the smaller one
    Attachment 44928this is the bigger one

Can anyone say what sex they are? and Sorry I do not know why my pics come out sideways when I attach them.
    would you please reattach the pics, i can't open, if you want to sex them I gotta see their faces sideways clearly and of course the more pics of waxies the better, they are so adorable even when they look grumpy lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

wizardwaxy

Name:  20130107_125427.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  73.0 KB
    Name:  20130107_125631.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  105.1 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by arielgasca420 View Post
    I wanted to clarify some information. Do these frogs need UVB for metabolism?
    I only ask because some say it is not necessary for metabolism in frogs, but maybe some species are exempt from this.
    Just making sure in case I ever meet someone with a p. sauvagi or decide to get one for myself
    yes, they do need uvb for vitamin D3 metabolism, some frogs need less or none, because they're adapted to live on the ground, in the shadows. Waxies live high up in the trees, perching in the sun during a day, in captivity full spectrum light is essential for them. unfortunately full spectrum solar lamps are not available or very expensive, but they're too strong. Basking lamp + ubv would be as close to full spectrum sun as possible. set aside scientific explanations - Waxies will become miserable faster then d3 deficiency will be noticeable or any other problem, they would just slowly become dull, unhappy, move towards bottom instead of perching, stop eating...... and die

here is a study if you are interested, very interesting read.
    https://aark.portal.isis.org/researc...tamin%20d3.pdf

Nationality
    [Canada]

look boys to me, but the lower pic is not really visible,

that what i was looking at:

female ( see how pointy the nose is and the line go very steep down)

Name:  DSC02951.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  72.2 KBName:  DSC03492.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  72.5 KB

males ( when you look sideways, the line is different, see?)

Name:  DSC02154.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  62.9 KBName:  DSC02152.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  66.2 KB

and of course adult males will have nuptial pads and call during breeding season ( very loudly))) adult females are way bigger then males, some females can reach close 4", with average at 3.5"

wizardwaxy

Awesome. Thanks. I'll get better pictures soon. I was told they are 3-4 months old. At what age do they stop growing?

Nationality
    [Canada]

depending on the conditions, food, amount of it, usually at about 8-9 month they are adult size, but it might be earlier, especially if they eat well and good food with vitamin and calcium supplements.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Great information thanks!

Thread Information