Thread: Should I feed my African Clawed Frog...

Chunky Monkey

Default Should I feed my African Clawed Frog...

A spider? It's already dead and its a yellow sac spider, which I found is venomous. I only feed my frogs (4 in total) grammarus dried shrimp and freeze dried bloodworms. I read somewhere that they should have varied diet so should I feed them a spider?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Should I feed my African Clawed Frog...

No. You have no idea where that spider has been, what it's come in contact with -- also the fact that it's a venomous spider doesn't really help the matter.

I would play it safe and just discard the spider, finding random dead insects in your house does not make a good diet for ACF.

I've replied to your other thread regarding a more balanced diet for your ACF which should work better for you than the current freeze dried foods you are feeding (which are bad news).

Chunky Monkey

I already fed the frog the spider and he's still alive lol. Didn't seem to affect her too much. But the nearby Meijer store only has dried food, and I'm not sure I can go in my backyard and dig up some earthworms in the middle of winter. What other foods could it eat besides dried foods and nightcrawlers and earthworms?

Nationality
    [United States]

ACF are both predator and scavenger. They would, in the wild consume any living or dead organic material they could find so they 'can' eat nasty stuff like dead/dying insects, however you don't know if that spider came into contact with pesticides directly or fed on an insect that came into contact with pesticides (which for all you know, lead to the death of the spider). Probably won't harm your frog but I really wouldn't make a habit of it for the sake of the long term health of your frog.

Don't use nightcrawlers from your yard, pretty good chance they've been exposed to pesticides too. I get my earthworms from a bait shop or even Wal Mart carries bait worms and you get ~20 worms for only 3 dollars. Just make sure they're not 'enhanced' for fishing with dyes or any other weird stuff, you just want plain old Nightcrawlers.

ACF will eat most anything.. what I suggested are good staples with Reptomin & Nightcrawlers. These are low maintenance and cheap foods and provide your frogs everything they need nutritionally and earthworms being live, will provide some 'stimulation' for your frogs.

You can feed your frogs other things as treats:
    1. Live Crickets are probably fine.
    2. Live Dubia Roaches, way better than crickets that's if you can find them and don't mind keeping live roaches in your house.. lol.
    3. Thawed unseasoned pre-cooked frozen shrimp.
    4. Thawed frozen krill or silversides probably wouldn't be a bad treat either. (kind of expensive though!)

The stuff you want to avoid are:
    1. Freeze Dried ANYTHING is bad news. Not only is it nutritionally poor but it will cause constipation in your frog.
    2. Bloodworms seem to cause long term health problems (bloat).
    3. Live 'Feeder' Fish I would advise against. I tried to breed my own guppies/mollies for my frogs months ago but honestly it's not worth it. It only takes one sick fish or parasite to kill your frog (extremely common in pet store feeders), why bother? I stopped this practice about as soon as I started. Goldfish/Minnows I should note are also not suitable as feeders they're fatty and contain thiaminase, which will harm your frogs long term.
    4. Wet/Frozen Beefheart is fatty, can lead to heart disease and strokes.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Why ask for advice if your going to just go against it anyway?
    Meijer is a grocery store I assume? Try some turtle pellets of some sort or fish pellets meant for carnivores. You could also buy some fresh salmon and cut it up, then freeze it for storage. Thaw before feeding it to your frogs. Tons of options that are leaps and bounds better than what you are doing.

Thread Information