Thread: Want, don't want, had but don't want again

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Want, don't want, had but don't want again

What species or group that you've never had would you like to have? Let's stick to types that have some reasonable chance of being attained. No extinct species please. How about a species you've never had and would never want? Finally, a species that you have once owned, but would never want again?

I'll start:
    Want: Never did the dart frog or mantella thing. Would love to at some point. Maintaining the super high humidity and dealing with mini-food items has always kept me away, but someday...

Don't want: Pacman frogs. No interest in them whatsoever. Zero.

Have had, will never have again: Spadefoot toads. Had one back in the 1980s (remember specific care advice or literature was almost impossible to come by back then). Put him in the terrarrium and within 2 minutes he dug himself underground and was never seen again. I even tried simulating rain from above to draw him out, no luck. Dug him up once (ok, he was seen one time again) and threw some crickets in. No luck again. He just dug back in and stayed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Want, don't want, had but don't want again

Want: Agalychnis annae, Hypsiboas punctatus, & Anaxyrus punctatus. The first one is on the expensive side and I can't afford it right now. The second two are reasonably priced, but I have not come across any locally for sale. Last spring I thought I had finally found some H. punctatus, but when I got them home, it turned out they were Sphaenorhynchus lacteus. The mistake was made as they were sold to me as "South American glass frogs", as H. punctatus has been known to be sold as. Neither species is a glass frog by the way. I asked the dealer ahead of time if that's what he had, I even sent a picture of a H. punctatus and he said yes, that's what he had. So I bought them first thing in the morning the day of the show, trusting the dealer at his word and did not open the deli cup until I got home. That's when I discovered, much to my disappointment, that what I actually had was the greater hatched-faced treefrog and not the red-spotted treefrog.

Don't want: John is going to hate for saying this, but I have absolutely no interest in keeping African bullfrogs, Pyxicephalus sp. Come to think of it, I have no desire to keep most Ranids.

Have had, will never have again: Pac-man frogs, though I do like Ceratophrys cornuta, but not enough to want one. They are just too boring.

You forgot a category.

Have had, and want again: Melanophryniscus stelzneri, Mantella aurantiaca, Mantella laevigata, & Ameerega trivittata.

Nationality
    [United States]

For me, this has always been Darts (any). I have never taken the plunge to try my hand at them. As of yet I am still undecided if I may give them a try ever.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Want: Well i think every one knows what I want...Whites Tree Frog .

Don't want: Don't have a big enough choice to have a don't want really. Mind you if I could but I can't, I don't think I would like a frog that's going to bite me.

Have had, will never have again: I have all I can have and wont get the chance to have had and never have again

Gee....Hmmmm

Wembley

Want: Mantella Expectata, Blue Jeans Strawberry Dart, and Bird Poop Frog

These are all on my list but I would love the dart. I need to finish college before that one will be within my budget. Plus I think it is awesome that they care for their own young.

Mallow

Want: Amazon Milk Frogs (on their way ^.^), Bird Poop Frogs, Cane Toad

Don't Want: Umm.. I like them all,... how about.. another untrained puppy!

Had but don't want again: Sick fwoggies (They're still alive, thank God!)

Kurt

So does Mantella laevigata (check out the Meet the Frog article) and they are considerably cheaper than the blue jeans. Earlier this evening, I saw an ad for a pair of blue-jeans pumilio, they wanted $650 for the pair. Ouch! Expect to pay about $20 - $30 each for the laevigata.

Want: Clown Tree Frogs! These cute little guys are my dream frog. I probably won't get them anytime soon though. Also...A mossy frog, another Megophrys Nasuta, and eventually some sort of dart, but that's way in the future and I haven't given it much thought yet. Oh, and that one toad Kurt has....starts with an R...I'm too lazy to try to look it up. (Hint, Kurt, now is a good time to start thinking about my birthday gift. )

Don't want: African bullfrogs, Pyxicephalus sp. They're interesting, but unless I marry a doctor and can have like five frog rooms, I don't see keeping this kind. Pac-mans too. And Chubby frogs. One of my best friends has two, and I don't see the attraction at all.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Want: Any species of reed frogs (Hyperolius), leaf-folding frogs (Afrixalus), or Kassinas, Surinam Toads, and any species of Xenopus.

Had and Don't Want Again: African bullfrogs, PacMans

100+ Post Member Teh Frog Whisperer's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

Want: Male African bullfrog, a second Budgett's frog, maybe a "Fantasy" horned frog
    (C. cornuta x C. cranwelli)

Don't Want: Poison dart frogs/mantellas. They just seem high-maintenance and expensive.

Had, But Don't Want Again: Honestly, I haven't kept enough frogs to fill this one in.

Wembley

Hey Liberalhunter how big is your budgett's frog? Is he a crazy eater. Mine leaps outta of the water as soon as I take off the lid of the tank. Its kinda scary lol.

mikeald

Want: to much to list

Don't want: poison dart frogs

Had but don't want again: I caught some bullfrog tadpoles at the local pond to feed to my watersnake and he eat all but one before it turned into a frog, then the snake ignored it. So I put the bullfrog in my big frog cage with some larger tree frogs. leopard frogs, and small lizards. There was plenty of food and he was fat as could be and this worked for about a month then one morning I looked in the cage and saw the tail of my spiney lizard sticking out of his mouth. So I feed him to my African Bullfrog. Never again. No american bullfrogs, what the snake won't eat is african bullfrog food.

Nationality
    [United States]

@Wembley he's about 4 inches long, almost an inch since I got him shortly after my 14th birthday. And yes, he is a crazy eater, though apparently not as crazy as your frog. I'm just wondering...What do you feed him, and how often? I feed him 2 nightcrawlers 4 days a week, a few goldfish every Saturday, and a hopper mouse once a month. By the way, do you keep any pyxie frogs (African bullfrogs)? I'm getting one in the spring, and I REALLY hope it's a male.

Wembley

We are still working out the whole feeding thing with the Budgett's. We are trying with him crickets every other day, and the occasional hopper. I want to do fish, however because they are so likely to carry parasites we pass on them. Yes I have a female African Bullfrog named Thor. lol I really want a male as well. I would love to breed them eventually.

StephenLS

Want: Spotted Asian Tree Toad
    Had but want: M Stelzneri
    Don't Want: African Bullfrog

Nationality
    [United States]

@Wembly if I were you, I'd feed my Budgett's frog nightcrawlers (depending on the frog's size) as its staple diet. They're nutritious, reasonably cheap, and the frogs LOVE them.

Thread Information