Thread: what can I add to my Tank?

dur0b

Default what can I add to my Tank?

I have a pair of white's tree frogs and a pair of green tree frogs along with an anole and long tail lizard (this combo was recommended by a woman from petsmart) and the tank is HUGE, half the time i cannot find anyone in it. So, since there's plenty of extra space I was wondering what other species of frogs, salamanders, newts, etc would work well in their I like tree frogs a lot but I wouldn't mind straying from those to get some variety within the tank.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: what can I add to my Tank?

Quote Originally Posted by dur0b View Post
    I have a pair of white's tree frogs and a pair of green tree frogs along with an anole and long tail lizard (this combo was recommended by a woman from petsmart) and the tank is HUGE, half the time i cannot find anyone in it. So, since there's plenty of extra space I was wondering what other species of frogs, salamanders, newts, etc would work well in their I like tree frogs a lot but I wouldn't mind straying from those to get some variety within the tank.
    That person at petsmart isn't so smart. Mixing species is not at all a good idea. How big is this cage? Any pics? I to have put anoles with my whites but they were put in there for food and they got eaten like food lol.

dur0b

I'm not sure how big it is but my brother originally got it for his bearded dragon but then gave it to me because it was tall not wide so it was obviously a bad fit, come to think of it he got the tank recommended by someone at petsmart. anyways, I've heard all this about mixing species and I've seen plenty of people have success with it, and others who haven't. My thoughts are that if I put something in and it isn't fitting well then I would take it out and give it its own terrarium Anyways, I've had this for about three months now and theirs never been any issue. But with what your saying I either have to take the whites out or they'll eat everyone. That wouldn't be good. But i don't think that they could eat them if they tried, they're only about the size of my green tree frogs and they don't seem to be growing anymore but I could be wrong.

Nationality
    [United States]

anoles ans green tree frogs can live together just fine. But yes take out the whites. And If your whites isnt growing anymore then something is wrong. Can you take pics?

dur0b

Unfortunately the lights are off and I don't want to turn the lights on and stress them out so these pics aren't the best.

Name:  20130101_233325[1].jpg
Views: 274
Size:  29.0 KBName:  20130101_233237[1].jpg
Views: 627
Size:  82.6 KB

alright, I got one of the whites on my hand, to give you an idea of size, and the anole sleeping on a leaf. I couldn't find the long tail or either green though. One question though, do you feed them full grown anoles, because those can be seven inches long (this one is about 6 and a half or so) and I'm having trouble picturing this guy fitting that in his mouth unless he's three or four times that size

Nationality
    [United States]

That frog is no where near full grown. And yes they have eaten full grown anoles. whites tree frogs can take down very large prey though i usually try and get the smaller anoles.

dur0b

I was afraid you would say that. alright so I'll take them out, how big should the tank I put them into be? I have a ten gallon in my garage but it isn't very tall, would that do?

loganste123

I wouldnt really recommend mixing different species. Even though they may get along, look at the diseases that each amphibian is used to the other is not. For example when the English came over to North America and the disease killed the indians..

dur0b

yes, I'll agree with you on the part about diseases, but that does require diseases to be present in the first place. I always quarantine a new addition for about a week before adding it to the community so that I know it's healthy first.

deeishealthy

Is the ten gallon taller when you turn it on it's end and build a screen door for it?

dur0b

I suppose that could work, but I would have no idea how to turn the screen top into a door

Nationality
    [United States]

A ten gallon is to small for an adult but it will do goot for your right now. You dont really need to turn it sideways i usually just leave it as it is for babies.

dur0b

okay so for now the two will be alright in it, but how big does it have to be when they grow up?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello durOb,
    Welcome to Frog Forum

This person at Petsmart should be reported - to the 'pet police' !
    None of these animals should be together in any aquarium that is available in a big box pet store.
    You are very fortunate there have been no mishaps.

May I respectfully make a suggestion on future living arrangements:
    2- whites 24H x18x18n
    2 green tree frogs 24H x18 x18
    Save the 10 gallon ( after you remove the whites out ) for the anole ?
    Use the current for the long tail lizard ? However I don't know if it will be tall enough. I guess it would be ok if you can suspend some foliage for it to hang out on - alone ! He will love you for it. They are beautiful, graceful animals. You will really enjoy viewing it when it has it's own space.

Separation: Then and only then ...you will be able to fine tune their individual requirements, reduce the stress they have been under.

Petco is still having a 1$ per gallon store? You could pick up a 20 gallon- that could be used for the anole and save the 10 gallon for a hospital/quarantine tank .

Sorry......... this information that you were given is really irresponsible!
    If you go to Petsmart to purchase any supplies....find the manager and report "the lady" .
    Make them provide you with proof ---that these animals can flourish together! They can not do it !
    However, think of all the fun you will have creating new environments for them.

a great places for supplies / plants etc :
    Josh's Frogs - Largest online herps feeders and reptile supplies store
    Welcome to Black Jungle Terrarium Supply - The Natural Choice!
    http://www.neherpetoculture.com/

Here are two basic examples as to why they should not be together:
    Your anole:
    Temperature: during the day, provide a gradient from 75-80 F with a basking spot of 85-90 F ( 90F will cook your frogs) And w/out a basking spot for the anole. He will end up ill ( unable to digest his food properly)

your lizard:
    Keep the tank at 80 degrees F on one end and 90 degrees F at the other end.
    Plenty of things for the lizard to climb on as they spend a lot of time in trees. (this is stressful for the lizard and the tree frogs - competing for the space high in the enclosure. This day - to -day stress ( which may not be apparent) is only compounded if the tank is not high enough.

This list goes on and on ! Just think of the competition that occurs for a peaceful 'water spot'

Hope this helps to get you started.
    There are great sites on line where you can find care sheets for each of your 'charges'

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Default what can I add to my Tank?

This is true....I have rescued red eyes from living with lizards, having infected scratches down the frogs back in an effort to catch the same food.

Separating your animals will allow them to live happier and healthy .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information