Thread: Green Frog photos from 2012

Default Green Frog photos from 2012

Some Northern Green Frogs, Rana clamitans melanota, from last year. (click on images for larger size if desired)

Found late march while I was out looking for breeding American Toads and Leopard frogs. The Greens weren't in breeding mode yet but the big ones had mostly woken up from a very hot few weeks,
    Name:  GreenFrog-1.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  86.7 KB

Early May, floating in some scum at the edge of the stream behind my house. The stream has almost no current to speakof most of the time (except after a big rain) and has about a foot of muck to sink into at the bottom. Probably ideal for wintering in for a frog, but awkward for a wading human trying to get close to the frogs,
    Name:  GreenFrog-2.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  96.5 KB

This lady is messed up. She summers in a small ornamental pond and I've been watching her for 3 years now. She used to be totally black but as she's grown the black has spread out to be blotchy and green is showing up. Her iris is near black, not the usual shiny gold,
    Name:  GreenFrog-3.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  94.8 KB

Late May, the males are out and eager to breed. This guy wouldn't call for me, but his manly forearms and yellow throat indicate he's ready to do battle for the ladies,
    Name:  GreenFrog-4.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  142.4 KB

Early June, they'll call even in the middle of the day. He took some encouraging though, when you get this close to them they do stop and try to remain quiet. I did my best attempt at imitating a calling Green Frog and he just couldn't resist calling back. After a couple of minutes of this, he actually jumped at me. They are territorial, especially when in breeding mode, so I'm pretty sure he thought I was competition. I conceded the area to his might and impressive vocal sac,
    Name:  GreenFrog-5.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  123.8 KB

Since the tadpoles of a Green frog take at least 1 year to mature this far north (possibly 2), this one is the result of the 2011 or maybe even 2010 breeding season. Taken mid June it's very vulnerable right now to the army of ribbon snakes patrolling the edge of the pond as well as the adult Green Frogs that seem willing to jeopardize their own genetic survival by eating their own young,
    Name:  GreenFrog-6.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  131.4 KB

This is the standard way to spend a hot Ontario summer afternoon, hanging out on a dock with your toe dipped in the water and a mosquito on your leg,
    Name:  GreenFrog-7.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  147.1 KB

I've seen my Gray treefrogs shed many times, and I've seen a few wild Gray treefrogs shed, but I had never before seen any sort of Ranid shedding.Then I found two in the span of a week. The second one is nearly done, but you can still see the skin bunched up in the corner of its mouth,
    Name:  GreenFrog-8.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  104.3 KBName:  GreenFrog-9.jpg
Views: 4300
Size:  136.7 KB

A couple of partially axanthic Green frogs- these two are missing yellow pigments in their heads, making for a pretty blue. I'd assume they are related since this is a genetic thing and they are from the same pond. The one on the left is a big female, and the one on the right is a decent sized male whose colours made him deserving of the portable white studio treatment,
    Name:  GreenFrog-10.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  93.2 KBName:  GreenFrog-11.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  167.3 KB

Not pictured here are the dozens of tiny leeches I earned taking this photo. I spent a good half hour picking leeches off locations that I'd rather not have to pick leeches of of. I now carry a salt shaker with me to the pond. I think the result was worth it,
    Name:  GreenFrog-12.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  80.6 KB

Big male still out early morning in September,
    Name:  GreenFrog-13.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  176.8 KB

A couple from the mucky ponds at the Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens, early October. Thousands of plants to look at and I was still chasing around frogs (and a toad and a snake or two),
    Name:  GreenFrog-15.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  76.5 KBName:  GreenFrog-14.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  100.2 KB

We had a 'recreation' theme at our local camera club where we incorporated an older photo into a new one taken at the same location (inspired by the 'Dear Photograph' thingy). Of course I had a few frog ones. This was taken mid October where the water was much colder than in the original, the leaves were much more colourfull, and thankfully there were much fewer leeches,
    Name:  GreenFrog-16.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  148.9 KB

Thanks for looking at my Green Frog year in review.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Green Frog photos from 2012

Brian, what can i say, but wow. so very cool. thanks a lot for sharing these pics. and the narrative compliment the pics very well
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wonderful, Brian! You know, I really think you would be an awesome pro nature photographer. I have to ask - how do you get so close to the bullfrogs? At what focal length are you working?
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Brian, what can i say, but wow. so very cool. thanks a lot for sharing these pics. and the narrative compliment the pics very well
    Thanks Bill, glad you enjoyed them!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Wonderful, Brian! You know, I really think you would be an awesome pro nature photographer. I have to ask - how do you get so close to the bullfrogs? At what focal length are you working?
    Cheers John! They're all Rana clamitans though, no bullfrogs:P. If the back isn't visible for the dorsolateral ridge confirmation, rest assured I checked it out.

Except for the very last one (with no live frog in it), they're all taken with a Pentax DFA 100mm macro on an aps-c crop body, an aging k100d. In practical terms this means to get a 3" frog to fill up the frame the front of the lens hood ends up about 13" away from the frog.

Their absolute first defense is crypsis, primarily achieved by being green and not moving. So as long as you move very, very slowly, you can creep up to them. Before they realise you're well within their comfort zone and it's too late for them to risk fleeing so you can pretty much take your time as long as you continue to move very slowly. Approaching from the water side is also helpful, as you're directly blocking their flight path so they tend to stay still with less effort. This approach is obviously wetter.

I usually try to creep back the way I came to avoid disturbing a subject that has treated me well, but sometimes if I'm on shaky footing I just try to get out without putting the camera in the drink. For the head on view of the frog in the water above combined with the leech assault I stood up and got out as quick as I could. Standing up this close to the frog meant it would immediately take the risk and dove into the water to avoid being eaten.

Know thy subject and don't be shy about getting your trousers filled with swamp water.

Nationality
    [United States]

Brian, These are just wonderful shots.

"portable white studio treatment" love it !

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

" Their absolute first defense is crypsis, primarily achieved by being green and not moving. So as long as you move very, very slowly, you can creep up to them. Before they realise you're well within their comfort zone and it's too late for them to risk fleeing so you can pretty much take your time as long as you continue to move very slowly. Approaching from the water side is also helpful, as you're directly blocking their flight path so they tend to stay still with less effort. This approach is obviously wetter"

You have been very dedicated to taking these great photos!
    Leeches--- yuck - I have picked enough of the little suckers off myself in the Catskills.
    Gives me the shivers just thinking about !!!

Thanks for sharing - It's a great forum 'topic' area
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Their absolute first defense is crypsis, primarily achieved by being green and not moving. So as long as you move very, very slowly, you can creep up to them. Before they realise you're well within their comfort zone and it's too late for them to risk fleeing so you can pretty much take your time as long as you continue to move very slowly. Approaching from the water side is also helpful, as you're directly blocking their flight path so they tend to stay still with less effort. This approach is obviously wetter.

I usually try to creep back the way I came to avoid disturbing a subject that has treated me well, but sometimes if I'm on shaky footing I just try to get out without putting the camera in the drink. For the head on view of the frog in the water above combined with the leech assault I stood up and got out as quick as I could. Standing up this close to the frog meant it would immediately take the risk and dove into the water to avoid being eaten.

Know thy subject and don't be shy about getting your trousers filled with swamp water.
    this just sounds like another saturday night in my bedroom.....LOL
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Brian, These are just wonderful shots.

"portable white studio treatment" love it !

Lynn
    Thanks Lynn! I love my portable studio! I like photos of frogs in their natural environment of course, but I think there is a different appreciation of a critters colours and form that can be had when photographed in total isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    this just sounds like another saturday night in my bedroom.....LOL
    This is simultaneously disturbing and awesome.

deeishealthy

That made me lol.

Amazing frog shots. Last year I had a frog calendar and these could easily have been in it. Beautiful.

Nationality
    [United States]

Awesome pictures! I can't wait for the snow to melt and the Frogs come out of their winter slumber. There is a pond near me that large amount of greens come to to breed. I was there one day last year and there had to be close to 50 pairs in amplexus along the one side I was looking at alone. It's a rather large pond on a disc golf course, I'm gonna try to get some pictures of it this year. That was the start of what I didn't know would turn into a frog addiction =p
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Thread Information