Thread: My Waxy Monkey Tree Frog is Healthy, But ...

CaliValiN8v

Default My Waxy Monkey Tree Frog is Healthy, But ...

Attachment 44415

This is "Stella" I've had her since July (2012). I posted this photo of her in the thread for January 2013's Photo of the month because I thought she was beautiful.

Someone on that tread posted a comment that she was way too skinny and someone else said "something is off". So now I'm wondering "Am I missing something...? Because I thought she was fine."

As far as I can tell she's healthy. She eats 5 small crickets daily which I supplement with a dusting of rep-cal and heptavite. She goes to the bathroom regularly as well. She is in a 20 Gallon Tank with a uv light during the day and a heatlight at night. I also have a heat mat inside the tank and a 1" deep water dish for soaking (that I change daily). I clean the tank weekly as recommended by breeders of this frog. She moves around alot at night and makes interesting sounds at night too. Maybe she is just naturally a smaller frog than most?

Should I be worried since she seems to be healthy and has behaved the same since I got her in July of this year?

Anyone who really knows about Waxy's care to chime in?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

She IS beautiful . A bit thin though. What does her poop look like? Hmmm...

(Be careful with the heat matt inside the tank. She could get burnt. The corded should not get wet either. How bout moving it to the outside of the glass?)
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

CaliValiN8v

Default Re: My Waxy Monkey Tree Frog is Healthy, But ...

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    She IS beautiful . A bit thin though. What does her poop look like? Hmmm...

(Be careful with the heat matt inside the tank. She could get burnt. The corded should not get wet either. How bout moving it to the outside of the glass?)
    Hi Heatheranne, thank you so much... I just love her. And yes, the heat map is on the inside "side" of the tank ... her poop is a little less than 1/2" long and is very dark. Probably about 1/4" around. I watched as she ate 6 small, dusted crickets this morning. She sleeps a lot and has really never been ultra active. When I got her from the the pet store they had her in an ultra humidified environment sitting on a wet napkin. It was not the right environment for her.

Before I purchased her, I did a ton of research to make sure I knew how to care for this kind of frog. I have an American toad and he's VERY easy to care for... he's almost 8 years old and as happy and healthy as every!

I don't know if the care they provided did damage to her but she seems fine now... she's just not as active or aggressive as my toad.

Nationality
    [United States]

You're welcome . Her stool is soft, formed? Not runny? No worms that you can see?

I love American toads. We had one years ago. He was a cutie. He used to sit in his food bowl waiting for food .

I would move the heat Matt to the outside of the glass to be safe .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

CaliValiN8v

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    You're welcome . Her stool is soft, formed? Not runny? No worms that you can see?

I love American toads. We had one years ago. He was a cutie. He used to sit in his food bowl waiting for food .

I would move the heat Matt to the outside of the glass to be safe .
    Hi Heather, I moved the heat mat outside the glass a little while ago. Thanks for the tip!

Also, stools are not runny and I haven't seen any worms. I will look closer next time though and post an update if that changes.

BTW, I found these pix of another WMTF and it is the same size as mine... the article is written by a professional it seems... How to care for your new Waxy Monkey Tree Frog, Phyllomedusa sauvagii, with pictures ...

Nationality
    [United States]

can you get any more recent pics of the frog from different angles? From the picture you can see his jaw bone popping out which is not a good sign but in your avatar the frog looks healthy so im a little confused. Is it the same frog? was it taken around the same time?

CaliValiN8v

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    can you get any more recent pics of the frog from different angles? From the picture you can see his jaw bone popping out which is not a good sign but in your avatar the frog looks healthy so im a little confused. Is it the same frog? was it taken around the same time?
    It is the same frog at different angles. Do you specialize in WMT frogs or have you owned one for a long time?

Nationality
    [Canada]

HI, yes, in the first picture the frog looks dangerously skinny, would you please post more pics, different angles and one that would show the "face" sideways

and please answer to those questions

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

after reading your posts a few things pop in a mind. how small are your small crickets? and how big is a frog? if you got a baby in July it has to be close to adult size now, if so s/he would eat about 10 adult sized crickets, every second day.

the other question is if this is actually a girl - that is why i asked for pic of head sideways.

1" deep water dish is not enough for adult frog, go for a size so water level would be up to a frogs chin and diameter so a frog would fit + some more.

information in the article that you posted link to is not informative and off in some places, I wouldn't take it as a care sheet.

by your description her poop sound good, but too small for subadult/adult. how does she pees? ( color?)

so please reply to those and the Q above, will get to the bottom of this
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by CaliValiN8v View Post
    Attachment 44415

This is "Stella" I've had her since July (2012). I posted this photo of her in the thread for January 2013's Photo of the month because I thought she was beautiful
    She is BEAUTIFUL never doubt it!

Nationality
    [United States]

Cali,
    I'm very sorry to see you removed your photo from this months 'photo of the month'.
    That's really too bad. She's a little thin. You just need to fatten her up; give her a chance
    I wish I could help more. However , I have never owned a waxy.

I am going to PM; you .........Michael Novy's phone # .
    DO NOT hesitate to call him - he bred these and can help you as well.

Lynn
    Last edited by flybyferns; January 2nd, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

His # is here:
    http://www.frogforum.net/sale-trade/...-nov-18th.html

He is a very knowledgeable tree frog breeder.
    I'm not sure if he is still breeding them. But he did.
    It would be worth 'picking his brain'

I know I have! He is sweet and very easy to talk to.

You can meet Michael here:
    Enjoy

Waxy Monkey Tree Frogs on ReptilesTV from Daytona - YouTube

Lynn
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

CaliValiN8v

Yes, I have removed all my photos. I didn't post a picture of my frog (for the January 2013 contest) to create paranoia and fear in my life, where it wasn't before.

It's very disappointing that, as a relatively new member, I can''t post a picture of my healthy frog without having other members question her health.

I doubt I'll return to this site again... the last few days have been a very negative experience for me. (except for those with Heatheranne and Lynn)

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, I have removed all my photos. I didn't post a picture of my frog (for the January 2013 contest) to create paranoia and fear in my life, where it wasn't before.

It's very disappointing that, as a relatively new member, I can''t post a picture of my healthy frog without having other members question her health.

I doubt I'll return to this site again... the last few days have been a very negative experience for me. (except for those with Heatheranne and Lynn)

Lija and I were not being negative at all. when we see a frog that doesn't look its best we will say so. All we were doing was trying to help we were not trying to be rude. I hope you do not leave for the the frogs sake.

Nationality
    [United States]

Cali, please don't feel offended . We are always here to help. I'm sorry I am just catching up on the posts now. I just got done at work. PM me if you'd rather, k?

Please don't be discouraged, there's a strong tendency of people here to interject when they think someones frog is in trouble, whether this is the case or not. Sometimes disasters can be averted this way, sometimes the owner just gets annoyed, but almost always they had the best intentions.

I had looked at this post earlier and knowing nothing about waxy monkey frogs went and looked for as many pictures of them as I could find to compare with yours. Lots were rotund little blobs, and quite a few had arms and legs that looked like yours. I concluded that I just don't know what the proportions should be in a healthy waxy, and I know it's really impossible to say anything conclusive from that one photo given how the fleshy bits of a frogs body are kinda like an amorphous blob that does the bidding of gravity.

If you are unsure, I'd take Lynns advice and try to consult with someone who has lots of actual hands on experience with this species.

But please do hang around, those of us who don't have exotic frogs have to live vicariously through the pictures of others here.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Cali, no offense intended, no idea where you see negativity, I just want to help, not many people had experience with waxies, i went thorough hell and back with mine when i was just starting off and now I know what I'm talking about when it comes to waxies, the question however why you asked for a advice and got offended when we tried to do so. please stick around.

Brian- exactly - it is hard to say from one photo, but it that particular one the frog looked skinny, more pics would help, it may be a male, they look more skinny then females at times, the chances are nothing is wrong with a frog, it is green and shiny, it is probably just needs some fattening up to do or may be just different angle of the picture

Nationality
    [United States]

Cali,
    As a moderator here on Frog Forum I would like to, publicly , apologize for what happened.
    Like Brian has mentioned in his post here, on this thread, I'm sure in was with good intention.
    We, sincerely, hope you re-consider.

I'm really wondering if you thought about calling or were able to get through to Michael.
    Very possibly will have to leave a message- he will get back to you.
    Lynn
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]

He will kindly answer any questions for you, AND he breeds them, so if you're still looking for a buddy for your frog, you may be in luck .

Thread Information